Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Community Forums > United Kingdom

Old 05-02-2012, 12:22 PM

Default Trail riding uk

Just found this while trawling the web
http://www.thegreenlanecrew.co.uk/

Old 05-02-2012, 01:52 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Not the most legal of groups, prepare to ride restricted byways and bridle ways....
Old 05-06-2012, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd5774 View Post
Not the most legal of groups, prepare to ride restricted byways and bridle ways....
+1

Scunthorpe is well located for greenlaning in the Peaks, N.Yorks et c., but riding unsurfaced roads in the UK is a sensitive subject, and you need to have good information on rights of way. The police are particularly keen on enforcing the law in the Peak District.

LARF organise trail rides in these areas - they are a good bunch that go trailriding all over the country. Other groups here Be prepared that most trail riding groups may not seem all that friendly initially - what they are actually doing is trying to weed out the people who want to use the greenlanes for enduro practice (remember greenlanes are public roads and will have concentrations of horse riders, militant ramblers, angry / homicidal landowners...) There are some difficulties involved with greenlaning, but the upside is that you get to see some stunnning parts of the country and enjoy riding sometimes tricky terrain.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravan Monster View Post
+1

Scunthorpe is well located for greenlaning in the Peaks, N.Yorks et c., but riding unsurfaced roads in the UK is a sensitive subject, and you need to have good information on rights of way. The police are particularly keen on enforcing the law in the Peak District.

LARF organise trail rides in these areas - they are a good bunch that go trailriding all over the country. Other groups here Be prepared that most trail riding groups may not seem all that friendly initially - what they are actually doing is trying to weed out the people who want to use the greenlanes for enduro practice (remember greenlanes are public roads and will have concentrations of horse riders, militant ramblers, angry / homicidal landowners...) There are some difficulties involved with greenlaning, but the upside is that you get to see some stunnning parts of the country and enjoy riding sometimes tricky terrain.
I like the quote "25 mph voluntary limit" FORGET THAT!! I want to make noise, I want to ride fast, ok I dont want to kill people or horses...but if I want to go 25 mph and please everyone else I'll go out on my mountain bike.....I bought a 2 stroke enduro bike to have fun on,not potter around on.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage sausage View Post
I like the quote "25 mph voluntary limit" FORGET THAT!! I want to make noise, I want to ride fast, ok I dont want to kill people or horses...but if I want to go 25 mph and please everyone else I'll go out on my mountain bike.....I bought a 2 stroke enduro bike to have fun on,not potter around on.
Im with you on that ss , i want to ride legal but i also want to have fun doing it or id have dragged the Marin out of the corner of the garage lol
Old 05-07-2012, 12:43 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Thumbs down

Quote:
That's why we have f-all left to ride legally. We are a minority in this country, we don't have the space that other countries like the US and Oz have so we have to share, if we take the attitude that I will do what I want, then soon there will be nothing left.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:56 AM

Id say its more to do with the fact that some people find the need to stray away from the legal trails and not being responsible around other users , it doesnt matter how hard you try though you cant please everyone .
Old 05-07-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
+1

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Chris
Old 05-07-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
"25 mph voluntary limit" FORGET THAT!! I want to make noise, I want to ride fast.... I bought a 2 stroke enduro bike to have fun on,not potter around on.
The clue is in the name: enduro bike ! ie (nearly always closed course these days) competition bike. As it happens, EC 250 / 300 in particular also make great trail bikes because they still work well when rode at a fraction of their potential, but the local enduro, or even one of the practice day events is the place for giving it some, not on unsurfaced public roads with unwitting members of the public / livestock et c. wandering around the place. The challenge on greenlanes comes from tackling the difficult 'sections' - climbs, steps, deep mud and so on, not going flat out in sixth.

The UK is a small island with too many people living on it and a bit of consideration to other greenlane users is what we need for the majority to get along. There will always be petty spiteful types who will hate us regardless, but there's no need to p1ss off even more people.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
The clue is in the name: enduro bike ! ie (nearly always closed course these days) competition bike. As it happens, EC 250 / 300 in particular also make great trail bikes because they still work well when rode at a fraction of their potential, but the local enduro, or even one of the practice day events is the place for giving it some, not on unsurfaced public roads with unwitting members of the public / livestock et c. wandering around the place. The challenge on greenlanes comes from tackling the difficult 'sections' - climbs, steps, deep mud and so on, not going flat out in sixth.

The UK is a small island with too many people living on it and a bit of consideration to other greenlane users is what we need for the majority to get along. There will always be petty spiteful types who will hate us regardless, but there's no need to p1ss off even more people.

I'm not disagreeing with your statement fella, I was just pointing out that a 25mph limit seems a bit boring, I can do that in dalby forest on my mountain bike, I bet at least 75-80% of those "TRAIL" riding groups are riding enduro bikes anway.

Horses have bridleways, Walkers have footpaths, Off Roaders have Byways so yes I think we can all get along.