Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 07-20-2006, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Post Energy supplement

Here in Texas the average enduro is around 90 miles.
Usually after the second gas, I feel like I've hit a brick wall. The rest of the race I'm in survival mode.

That's until I started using http://www.carbboom.com/ This stuff picks up your energy level way better than anything I've tried.
It does not sit on your stomach or makes your mouth feel dry, you do have to drink a lot of water with it.
I usually put some out with my gas cans and carry one for use at a reset.
Try Carb Boom sometime.

I have bought Carb Boom from http://www.nohvcc.org/index.asp. I don't know if they carry it any more.

Old 07-21-2006, 12:14 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I have found that "rice dream" works best for me - it is also called "rice milk". - it comes in plain and vanilla (my daughter likes the chocolate). It is simply rice ground so fine that is in suspension in water -> so it re-hydrates you and carbo loads you at the same time. Digests very easily and will give you a "second wind" pretty quickly... It can be found at most health food stores and some grocery chains.

The wife was a pretty strict vegetarian for a while - so i got accustomed to drinking this stuff.

jeff
Old 07-21-2006, 08:50 AM

A friend of mine turned me onto drinking Slimfast shakes before and at the gas stop. This would be in addition to your pre-enduro meal, not instead of. The shakes are easily digestible and provide a boost of energy. Helps me keep going.

Granted most of our enduros are only 60 to 70 ground miles, over half of which is rock gardens, mud holes and roots. Under Brand X rules the gas stop is usually very short.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:55 PM

I have found "grazing" on a lean mixture of Acceleraide (in my 70 oz. Camel Back) in the afternoon really helps with endurance, good well being, and does not have the quick pick me up/fast let me down like other sports drinks. It is one of the better known quality sports drinks without the high glucose or fructose. Used by competitive bicycle riders...
Old 07-29-2006, 12:09 PM

Try an awesome product by Shaklee called "Performance". I have been using it for many years as does my son who is a retired PRO bicycle racer. Go to their website an read about it.
Dave
Old 09-02-2006, 01:46 AM

Read a post about www.hammernut.com from mike lafferty's dad a couple years ago on www.woodsracer.com.Alot of good info from some hard core endurance atheletes on this site.I like the hammer h.e.e.d. drink mix in my camelback and the hammer gel paks at the gas stops and resets.Seems to help during and after.Before that I used pedialyte too not much success,and lets not even think about gatorade=too much sugar!Try to stay away from anything with crose in it=sucrose,glucose etc etc.Its extremely hot where I work and they hand out gatorade freely,I learned years ago that this stuff gets you on a sugar high for a while then you crash feeling worse after the sugar high wears off.Just my personal experience
Old 09-02-2006, 05:53 AM

For 2 hour hare scrambles, a lot of guys in the club (most of us are north of 40 years) have taken to using an energy gel pack beyond the hour mark. There are several flavors and brands at supermarkets, convenience stores, etc. so they are always easily available. You just duct tape the top of the packet to a spot on the handlebars very securely. Then make a duct tape handle on the bottom of the gel pack to let your gloves get a good grip. As guys head thru the barrels, they just pull over, tear the pack loose and squeeze it in underneath your helmet. Takes an average of 10-20 seconds, and really gives guys that little extra to finish the race strong. You feel the effect quickly too.
This lets you run straight water in the drink system, making clean up and storage easier. Need to have a couple long pulls off the Camelback to wash all that goo down, but it works pretty darn well.

'13 Beta 300RR - race bike
'02 GG300XC - "Billie Baroo"
'01 DR650
'02 GG 280 Pro
'06 YZ 250
'07 WR450
'00 TT125RL
'94 YZ200 - custom keeper
Old 03-26-2007, 09:33 PM

www.advocare.com

good stuff we use it daily.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
For 2 hour hare scrambles, a lot of guys in the club (most of us are north of 40 years) have taken to using an energy gel pack beyond the hour mark. There are several flavors and brands at supermarkets, convenience stores, etc. so they are always easily available. You just duct tape the top of the packet to a spot on the handlebars very securely. Then make a duct tape handle on the bottom of the gel pack to let your gloves get a good grip. As guys head thru the barrels, they just pull over, tear the pack loose and squeeze it in underneath your helmet. Takes an average of 10-20 seconds, and really gives guys that little extra to finish the race strong. You feel the effect quickly too.
This lets you run straight water in the drink system, making clean up and storage easier. Need to have a couple long pulls off the Camelback to wash all that goo down, but it works pretty darn well.
What's the name of this stuff?
Old 03-27-2007, 05:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyManiac View Post
What's the name of this stuff?
There's a dozen different brand names Speedy. Check any of your local cycling stores. Some grocers and even convenience stores in this area are now carrying them as well. The makers of Powerbar make one of the more popular ones.

These do work, but be warned, are nasty sweet...have water at the ready to wash them down.