Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:01 PM

Great responses, advice and encouragement. It is much appreciated.

I feel like this is the one part of my life I have not "conquered" so to speak. I have an amazing wife and 5 wonderful children, have a great career and am blessed with great friends, family and church. This weight thing has always hung over my head. I actually carry the weight "well", if there is such a thing and most people cant believe I weigh that much. I have been able to maintain an active lifestyle with work, riding, etc. , and my BP, resting HR and chloresteral numbers are all good. But, I know that it will catch up with me sooner than later and I dont want to get injured (usually backs go out due to overweight and weak abs) or worse have lasting health problems resulting from being overweight.

One thing that has been quite a negative influence is lack of sleep. As a firefighter at a busy station, in a major city, I get very interrupted sleep patterns 1/3 of my life. I definitely suffer from sleep deprivation, like many fire fighters, and it can result in poor eating habits. I do notice that the days off I am very tired, I eat more poorly. Not sure why, but I need to get a handle on that and they say if you work out first thing in the morning after getting off a bad shift of interrupted sleep, it helps with eating and energy.

Lots of great input that I will most certainly incorporate: No carbs after 2 pm, Weight Watchers or Calorie Counter App for my phone, warm up and cool downs, 500 less calories a day (guy I work with has lost 25 lbs since first of year by simply cutting 500 calories a day and burning 500 calories a day on treadmill), riding more often (tough, but I am going to try).

I am also considering signing up for a Yoga class once a week. I know this can be a little "granola" and I would fit the stereotype of a typical Portlandia, but I have heard great things from fellow firefighters and I would promise not to buy a Subaru Forrester or shop at Whole Foods

It is encouraging to hear other's stories and experiences and I usually dont post this kind of stuff on a website, but this seems like a safe place with great folks, so I thought "what the heck", I'll lay it out there.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:03 PM
Administrator

On the topic of "weight loss is all about calories" - there was a college professor who did a "twinkie diet" to illustrate losing weight is all about calories in and calories burned and not what you eat...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08...sor/index.html

Also, initially it is easy to lose weight because your body first burns glycogen - which has water bound to it. So you lose the energy store + water weight at first...

Details from the mayo clinic website :

"During the first few weeks of losing weight, a rapid drop in pounds is normal. When calories from food are reduced, the body gets needed energy by releasing its stores of glycogen, a type of carbohydrate found in the muscles and liver. Glycogen holds onto water, so when glycogen is burned for energy, it also releases the water ? about 4 grams of water for every gram of glycogen ? resulting in substantial weight loss that's mostly water."

So you are not doing anything "wrong" when the weight quits dropping as fast after 2-3 weeks - it's just how the body works through what it has stored up....

The other thing that comes to mind is the injury/recovery cycle that I have gone through while getting myself back into shape. As we get older - it's easier to injure/strain something and takes much longer to heal up. This interrupted my workout routine several times. Hence the advice on getting a good warmup, etc.

Jeff

p.s. If you want some motivation to lose weight and drastically reduce your risk of coronary artery disease (plugged up arteries that supply your heart) - search on CABG (coronary artery bypass graft) or open heart surgery on youtube - and watch a doctor open up a guy's chest with the equivalent of a sawzall and a car jack... Trust me - it sucks...
Old 04-15-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
The other thing that comes to mind is the injury/recovery cycle that I have gone through while getting myself back into shape. As we get older - it's easier to injure/strain something and takes much longer to heal up. This interrupted my workout routine several times. Hence the advice on getting a good warmup, etc.
Jeff brings up a good point. As a lifetime competative runner, I see lots of folks that get injured. Being conservative and making easy days easy is imperative to continuing to run / exercise. I have seens lots of people drop weight and get in shape only to be derailed by injury and struggle with a reaccumulation of fat and loss of muscle. Most of us that can afford bikes can affort PT / medical services if we get injured, I encourage everyone to see medical assistance from an ATHLETIC trainer / chiro / doc when injured and get back on track.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:54 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Eat & drink whatever you want.
Buy lots of bling,re-valve etc. to compensate & take the short loops.
But seriously,really good stuff here for my age group.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:27 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firffighter View Post
Lots of great input that I will most certainly incorporate: No carbs after 2 pm, Weight Watchers or Calorie Counter App for my phone, warm up and cool downs, 500 less calories a day (guy I work with has lost 25 lbs since first of year by simply cutting 500 calories a day and burning 500 calories a day on treadmill), riding more often (tough, but I am going to try).

I am also considering signing up for a Yoga class once a week. I know this can be a little "granola" and I would fit the stereotype of a typical Portlandia, but I have heard great things from fellow firefighters and I would promise not to buy a Subaru Forrester or shop at Whole Foods

Warning, eliminating carbs after 2:00, while very effective, is not as easy as it sounds. I found that without some kind of carb, I still wanted to eat, even though my stomach was full. May have been just my body protesting the lack of quick fuel, but it was really tough. Worth it though. After you reach your goal, you can add good carbs back in, but keep it smart and keep it good. Stay away from breads, noodles, white rice. Brown rice okay, Dave's killer bread, okay.

On Yoga, I don't care if it's granola, Yoga works, it is amazing fo your flexibility, and even your strength.

One thing though, if you buy a Subaru, make it an STI. If you get a Forrester, then all of my premonitions about you were correct.... You're a lesbian.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 04-16-2011, 11:44 AM

I'm starting a TRX training class next week, for six weeks. I expect to be whimpering like a kicked puppy after the first hour session. Then I will get one for home once I learn what works with the instructor.

http://www.trxtraining.com

I've done different things but this is really a big bang for the buck, in $$ and time spent. Designed by a Navy SEAL for training in the field, they know something about fitness.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:30 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Here's my $0.02.

I'm 6'4" tall, run about 30 miles per week. Have run 7 marathons, fastest 3:24, slowest 3:50 after spending a week in the respiratory section of the hospital with my daughter 2 weeks before the marathon. I was sicker than a dog.

Running: make sure you don't do too much too soon. Get your base, then on the long run, just go an extra mile per week. I used to work my way up, then run 3, 23 mile runs 2 weeks before the marathon. Then taper (20, then 14) the two weeks before the marathon. You'll be conditioned to doing long runs, but well rested.

I grew tired of getting up at 2:30 AM to do my long run on Friday AM (so we could go ride dirt bikes on the weekend), so I quit running marathons. With traffic, our routine is to leave early Sat AM, ride all day, come home Sat PM late. Now i do longer runs on sunday.

My regime is still three, six-long mile runs per week, and one long run per week. In Minnesota, i drop off to 10 miles for my long run in the winter (i can't get water, and my water bottle freezes), then when I can get more water (when the park board installs handles on the pumps) and my water bottle stops freezing, i add mileage, going to 20 miles by june. After that, I'll do a 20 miler once per week, until the handles come off the pump.

Cycling. Running won't get you to lose weight like you can lose weight by cycling. If you're serious about weight loss, long medium to hard road rides will get you to drop weight. Cycling is actually more conducive to weight loss than running.

IF you wanna' run a great marathon, get a few 4-5 hour-long cycling efforts in the few weeks leading to your race. You'll train your body to burn fat, which is really helpful for that 26 mile effort.

Sugar. My wife is an awesome baker, but after the first of the year, i quit deserts. It's really hard at first, but after 2-3 weeks as i watched my weight drop, i didn't even want to look at it anymore. I've dropped 15 pounds since early January by just dropping deserts. The 195 to 180 pounds was easy, the next 10 will be difficult until i can free up time at work, finish my ignition, and get the road bike out of the basement. (I also bicycle commute 6 miles each way every day on my bicycle. It's good to get the metabolism going in the AM)

I snack on unsalted peanuts at work during the afternoon. Protein and a bit of fat in your blood will address those hunger pangs.

Hope that helps.

blitz
Old 05-02-2011, 02:04 PM

Just thought I give a 2 week update.

I ran 15 miles per week and was able to get 1 ride in each week as well. A good start, and running is getting easier. Been doing 5/3mile runs and am ready to increase to a 4 mile run once a week.

Been really watching what I have been eating. Not easy! I have made some good changes, but also enjoyed a bit too much Easter dinner and dessert and blew it this Saturday night when we were entertaining out of town folks and went out for a nice meal.

Good new is that I have dropped 8 lbs. in the past 2 weeks!

Gotta keep it going!
Old 05-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Just thought I give a 2 week update.

I ran 15 miles per week and was able to get 1 ride in each week as well. A good start, and running is getting easier. Been doing 5/3mile runs and am ready to increase to a 4 mile run once a week.

Been really watching what I have been eating. Not easy! I have made some good changes, but also enjoyed a bit too much Easter dinner and dessert and blew it this Saturday night when we were entertaining out of town folks and went out for a nice meal.

Good new is that I have dropped 8 lbs. in the past 2 weeks!

Gotta keep it going!
Give yourself one free day per week on food. That will help with scratching the bad food itch, and it won't do a lot of damage to your goal.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 05-02-2011, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Good new is that I have dropped 8 lbs. in the past 2 weeks! Gotta keep it going!
Well if that doesn't give us all incentive...
07 TXT 280
77 TY175