Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-2011, 06:46 AM

Default Float Level, please explain?

I asked this question on another site some time ago and got no response, it was either a stupid question or nobody actually knew the answer?

The way i see it the floats in your carby are no different than the floats in the cistern of your toilet, set them too high and you'll have overflow issues but flushing turds isn't a problem, set them too low and your bike may be starving of fuel and in the case of a dunny, you can't flush your turd.

Back to the bike scenario, provided the bowl is full of fuel, even if it's overflowing, the bike should run OK shouldn't it ? Won't the various jets just take the fuel thay need via their orifice's and the overflow tubes disperse the rest.

I can see how not enough fuel in the bowl could cause lean jetting issues.

But why is there so much talk about setting float levels, did GG or keihin have it so wrong?

What is the correct float height? I've read for the old screw top keihin it's 16mm, but what about these new style carbs, when i roughly measured mine recently it was about 10mm max and i left it as found. (2010 ec300)

My bike runs pretty good in my opinion, i just get frustrated when i read on some of these sites people saying "make sure your float level is set right".

The point of this drawn out spiel is HOW & WHY?

PS: I'm an aussie, most of you probably are not.
I can't understand why you put the month before the day,it gives me the shits. Very hard to follow your calenders.
Dunny= Toilet
Turd= Poo.