Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:09 PM

Default Right side crank seal question

My 125 has a main crank seal which is half steel and half rubber, can I replace it with a regular rubber seal or do I have to use a seal which is the same steel/rubber hybrid. Theres probably $45 difference between the genuine part and the aftermarket rubber seal.
Cheers

Old 07-15-2010, 06:06 AM

More important is the type of rubber material. Compare this to the other standard BunaN seals and I'll bet its different, the rubber is more abrasion resistant. I always replace crank seals with the exact part either from the dealer or a bearing house. As far as rubber vs metal they are all steel in structure, some are just completely coated.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:03 PM

The seal has no number on it, and the guy I spoke to had never heard of a seal like the one I described to him. Guess ill just pay for the genuine one.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:26 AM

I've rebuilt a GG125 motor. GG does not use any custom size seals or bearings like some Japaneese mfgs., its all off the shelf metric stuff. Mic the seal OD, shaft/collar OD, and thickness. Thats the size. Look at the OEM seal lips, are they red? If so you should get a seal of the same material. If you do your homework you can likely find what you need from an industrial/bearing supplier in NZ.

I don't remember exactly what came out of the 125 I did, as it was a few years ago and my brother did the disassembly and ordered the parts, but the 250s I've done use a different grade of seal over standard.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:10 PM

Its not the size thats a problem, I can get one the same in regular viton or whatever it is, but the seal that was in it was one that I nor no one I have asked has heard of, it has a steel outer, actually magnetic and hard, but has a rubber middle portion. The people from the seal shop have never heard of such a thing. Iv ordered one from the gasgas importer, but the price isnt a desireable one
Old 07-16-2010, 07:49 PM

That is not so uncommon, you see a lot of that type where the ID is close to the OD. In fact I just bought hub seals for my camper a couple weeks ago just like that. Suprised that they thought it odd.