Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 09-02-2006, 10:33 AM

Default Exhaust for 2005 EC125...what to buy for max torque

OK heres the story.... I am about to pick up a 1 year old 2005 EC125 which is in pretty darn good nick... but I have two questions for you guys..

Its is a 125...and most 125's are not too torquey in the low end. Whats the best aftermarket exhaust I can buy for it??
Currently it has a factory messico fitted.

Secondly, the speedo cable broke off a while back in an argument with a tree branch. Is there a bodge you can do with a bicycle speedo?? From what I can see, it needs to thread in, beside the brake mount for the caliper.

Also...who has tried fitting powerblades to an ec125 carb??

Ideas please guys??

Thanks

TTD

Old 09-04-2006, 10:35 AM

I know this doesnt answer your question but Im reading between the lines. This is what I have found dealing with 125s.

First off 125s are good for high revs and not climbing much. That said you can do some things that will help this. Stupid me, i got my wife a 125 and thought she was going to be able to follow me on the Idaho trails. several changes later she does great.

What kind of ridding are you doing?

How much do you weigh?

Now i dont know much about your bike but I found out several tricks. They are:

Change the gearing. I was able to get an 11 tooth up front for the big climbs. It works AWSOME!! It had a 13 but it was way to high for a 6speed. even if you go to a 12 it will really help. (front or rear just get it lower geared)

Next make sure the timing and jetting is perfect. It will kill you if its not.

New plug and check the compression. If it needs it maybe re ring it.

A 125 is a very fun bike but can be a pain on the trails if its not set up correctly.

Good luck, its fun to get a new bike!

MIKEB
Old 09-04-2006, 03:09 PM

Default Hey man thanks..

Ok I weigh

11.5 Stone ( 14lb in 1 stone ) 147lb I reckon (2.2lb to 1 kilo) equals 66kgs... Not sure what you americans use so heres all three!!!

I'll be using the bike mainly for aggressive trailriding / practise for enduro racing / hill climbs etc.

I like the feeling of 125 enduro bikes, nice light airy bikes.

I was thinking...jetting...powerblade in the carb... FMF Fatty & Powercore 2...(should add more all over, and the short can should add more grunty and more responsiveness I hope)...

What else do you reckon. I am well aware that 125's will always be 125's but they are light, and the power to weight ratio is good, its just the amount of usable torque that makes the difference. I want to get as much torque as I can.

Busting to get on it and get the modding started, so I can show those 4 strokers a thing or two!! (lol). Just waiting for road registration to be complete now ! !

I do not intend to get pitted out in a Bog, but more to float over...(lol)

Advice welcome.

Thanks

Jonny Weston
Old 09-05-2006, 03:07 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Just a question - I had heard that a yamaha yz125 pipe will fit on the gasgas 125 - I do not know which years. Is this still the case?

I can't speak to the 125 pipes - but, for me, I like the "philosophy" of doma pipes - they don't have the most power down low - but the quality of power is very good. Very controllable down low and into mid - puts the power to the ground.

FWIW - the fmf SST pipe looks similar to a doma - not listed for the gasgas, but is listed for a yz125.

As far as "powerblades" go - RB-Designs here in the u.s. machines one into the intake side of the carb and also modifies the pilot circuitry for better sensitivity. A friend of mine is having this done shortly and I will ask him to report back. I don't believe "powerblades" on the filter side of the slide do as much as one on the intake side of the slide.

jeff
Old 09-05-2006, 05:18 PM

johnny,

From personal experience setting up an '01 GG XC125 for my nephew:

Jetting is critical in getting better low end to midrange power. Try going richer on the bottom through the mid, stock jetting has been too lean.

The Messico pipe is a top end pipe, its also quite thin. We went with an FMF to add even more midrange.

Gear the bike 13/53.

Stock it was disappointing, but with this setup, it is an outstanding woods 125. We have some serious climbs here with 2'-3' vertical ledges, and the kid clears everything first try.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:37 PM

Being so light a 125 is perfect for you. I love the way you can just throw them around and its almost effortless.

I would love to see if the power blade works for you. I was thinking of getting one for my 250 and maybe my wifes 125 if it helps.

You have a great looking bike on your hands, good luck with it. Let us know how it turns out. I wish more people would let us know what works and what doesnt.

MIKEB
Old 09-05-2006, 08:27 PM

I tried the original "PowerNow" blade on my 250. It did nothing, save your money. Now the wing on the reed side may be a different story, havn't tried that.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:50 AM

Default Hey guys....

Good stuff indeed, thanks to you all.

Well it looks like I have the FMF Fatty on order, along with the Powercore 2..but they'll be 6 weeks in arriving. Apparantly the UK does not have any in stock, so its a next delivery to the supplier sort of thing I think...it will be interesting in the meantime using the messico system, then comparing to the FMF when it arrives later on.

Anyway. The story behind the bike is that it actually was a factor riders practice bike from Poland, that was never used at all, and my chum just happened to be in the right place at the right time to buy the bike.

Seemingly It came with boysen reeds (dual stage I think...) and the proper messico branded pipe.

I was at his house last night where we fitted a vertex piston as he reckoned that he was not going to sell to me the bike without knowing that it was absolutley 100%, and true to his word we looked at the old piston and ring, which had suffered only a very small amount of blowback (loss of compression).

He has been very decent regarding the whole sale, including new plastics, decals, seat, new headlight as he cracked the other one and all in for under £2400 ($4440).

I think I will give the power blades a go anyway, some people seem to think that they are awesome on some bikes, but not so awesome on others;.

With regards to jetting...whats the best setup that you can recommend for all over usage, but mainly a woods bike (Technical and light sprightly climbs where I want to be....!) What sizes??

Did not think of gearing... that will be in next months pay I reckon!!

Thanks again guys, I will let you all know how the stuff works out...keep the infor coming!!

JW
Old 09-06-2006, 04:02 PM

Do they not do the Gnarly for the 125?
Isn't the Gnarly the best low end torque pipe?
Old 09-06-2006, 06:48 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

In recent years - U.S. models were supplied with the FMF fatty pipes. So this pipe is available from FMF for the 125. They do not list a gnarly pipe for the 125.

jeff