Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:44 AM

Default How can I protect my lower back?

I recently fractured my L1 vertebrate, because I was riding a KTM. Who makes a product that protects this area in the event of a fall? Believe me, you want to protect this area at all costs. I'm thinking of getting this 661 bomber shorts, too. Thanks for your advice.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:30 PM

Acerbis Koerta, AXO Air Cage Pro, Alpinestars Bionic 2, and Dainese jackets all have CE certified back protectors.

http://mx1west.com/index.asp?PageAct...S&Category=110

http://www.axo.com/Main/default/Prod...l.aspx?id=1603

http://www.alpinestars.com/Bionic_2_.../p/650658.html
Old 04-20-2009, 07:07 AM

Check out the Dianese stuff for sure. Probably the best and the most expensive.

These guys carry lots of different brands and are into both off road motorcycles and mtn. biking.

http://www.go-ride.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=BY+MANUFACTURERAINES E
Old 04-20-2009, 10:50 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

LMAO. Okay, I can't leave this one alone. You hurt yourself because you were riding a KTM. Thats one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. I'm not offended, I don't even have a KTM anymore, but that's hilarious.
You probably did it to be funny, (I hope) or to garner support from some folks here, but I for one loved it for the humor value. Thank you.

BTW, my cousin broke the same vertebrea, it recovered well, and he's riding again with no problems. He also is the long course champion for Southern California in Xterra competition (off road triathlon). Recovery should be good, just make sure you do what the P.T. tells you to!
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 04-20-2009, 04:36 PM

Don't laugh ...
I know two A riders who both broke body parts on ktm 200's, (from the early 2000/2003 era when they had real hit!) both blamed the crappy suspension and handling, both were woods racers coming off converted jap mx'ers and promptly went back to converted jap mx'ers!!
Old 04-20-2009, 06:23 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

While I agree the early KTM 200 was flawed, it could be set up to work if you tweaked the shock. The fork was actually fine. I for one hate that chassis, it's so twitchy, but still, WE ride the bike. I do get your point though, a local hero (Ricky Bozarth) who rode KTM 300's for years tried a "new" 200 at a local enduro. He crashed it all day. He clearly didn't get along with it, and it's the only time I've ever passed him in a race (like he was upside down, sitting still no less.... only after I asked if he was okay though).
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 04-20-2009, 07:21 PM

Thanks for the responses. And yes, I was joking...
Old 04-21-2009, 04:20 AM

I've got an off road dainese suit which includes the back protector.

I spent the extra cash after a friend recalled a story on a downhill MTB hitting a tree with his back (flying through the air backwards) at 30-40mph and I have every reason to believe his dainese back protector stopped him breaking his back. (while I'm not sure other back protectors would have??) He still has to be air lifted to hospital and was unconcious for quite a long time.

My Dainese has some sort of aluminium structure that is quite complex and hard plastic outer panels that interlock (to prevent your back flexing backwards too much) and breaking your back.

Dainese spend £££££ on testing and I doubt if any other manufacturers do - all other off road suits / back protectors seem to copy dainese but in style not design and probably not crash protection as well as Dainese, for example I don't know if anyone else has copied that honeycomb aluminium structure yet?

As a bonus Dainesee also pay a lot of attention to comfort and my suit has a soft grey mesh material so is comportable against the skin while a lot of the mesh used on other stuff feels horrible in comparison.

My suit is now about 5-6 years old and has been repaired (stitching) a couple of times - once due to stitching comign away once to repair tears from branches - dont' know how long other suite last but I think 6 years is good....
'95 ish XR630 (died many times in Oz)
Old 04-28-2009, 01:28 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

I use a wide black weight lifters belt by VALEO and it really helps to hold everything in place, especially when you bottom out the bike.
Not really protection if you back hits the ground, but it removes those micro bruises which can add up to a sore back quickly. Plus if your back is weak, you need the help.
Hope this helps.
GasGasDreamer
Old 04-30-2009, 07:26 AM

I have the 661 shorts. They have small overlapping plastic sections that cover the tailbone and part of the sacrum, but not higher. I only wore them a few times on the GG, they are not as comfortable as good bicycle shorts with gel pads. I now wear them riding my Hyper under Joe Rocket pants as I like the extra protection, plastic thigh pads, and with a gel seat on the bike they are comfy. Plus my jacket has a spine pad. I now have a better ('08) seat on the GG though so I should try them again to be fair.

Check this out for another option, maybe what your(me too) after:

http://www.SPORTPROTECTION.com