Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:05 PM

Default weak spark??

I dont have my good spark tester handy but how strong should the spark be?? I fouled 3 plugs today, which in turn made me use my buddy tow for way to far. Now I've only once fouled a plug on this bike before in 3 years, and I left the choke on that time. I could get a small spark to jump, but small.. I even tried the redneck spark tester, allen key in place of plug and hold it while kicking. Wasnt that much, less painful than a ignitor on a gas grill,, or those pen the sell that give a shock..
I'm off to do some checking now,, also right before the last plug went out my headlight indicator looked like a strobe light,, I checked for a rubbed thru wire but found none,,
Any advise would be helpful,,
Steve

Old 06-10-2007, 04:44 PM

Update,,
Dropped a new plug in startedup,, had to cleaner out a little. Ran around the yard,, slow stuff,, low rpm,, took plug out already black, oily,, ran a compression test. engine warm/not hot tho,, 155psi,, sprayed wd40 in only to 175,, now this is with wet sneakers and cant get a true hard kick. My gage is older and drifs down so trying to kick more/harder just resulted in a footpeg to the back of the ankle,, blood,scrape, and a bruise, but no need for stitches..
I'm ordering up a piston and rings this week.. along with some other stuff..
Steve
Old 06-10-2007, 05:57 PM

Ok,, I put my boots on and get to 175 with oil or without.. Did go a little higher, almost 180 but my gage is drifting rather fast. Its a snap on but old,, Now for the spark,, got my nice hei tester, with sneaker on could only get int. spark, weak,, at best. With boot on giving a good kick the spark is bright and blue and lots of cracklin noise.. One thing I noticed today is the bike ran hot, very hot. I'm going to flush the cooling system again. I'm also questioning the fuel quality,, I dumped some in my poulan chainsaw to go out and shorten my practice log a little as its just too long to move by myself. It fouled a plug too,, I dont even have a backup plug for that saw,, same plug in that for 3 years,,
Oh well,, how bad is 175?? time for piston and rings?? also getting reeds as they are original still..
Steve
Old 06-10-2007, 07:08 PM

Steve,

Thats not going to cause fouled plugs. My new '07 is 185 after break in. My '03 was 195 with one .3mm gasket. Yeah I'd do a top end being its 3 years old, but its not an emergency based o those numbers.

Try fresh premix first. Also check the HV coil wire, my '03 had it come unscrewed a little from the coil. If the bike got hot, check the impeller too.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:31 PM

Thanks Glenn,
I'm going to pull the impeller tomorrow night and the reed cage too just to be sure.. Its just running so bad all of a sudden.. The coil wire was good btw, nice and tight,, cleaned and checked grounds,, on the trail. Also pulled the carb and checked the jets to be sure one didnt back out, The boot is a PIA on the trail. Way too stiff,, my original on my 97 was very soft and forgiving,, if it wasnt for the stick that went thru it it still be on that bike..
Steve
Old 06-11-2007, 08:43 PM

Well, I dumped all the fuel in case thats bad,, then pulled and checked the carb internals again, easier to do not kneeling in the mud and leaves, and pulled the reed cage out. The reeds that face down on the cage are open,, by just over 1/8 of an inch.. Now for new reeds,, which ones,, I have the motowest reeds in my 97, so whats out there now??
Steve
Old 06-11-2007, 09:12 PM

Steve,

Boyesen now owns Carbon Tech, who made the Motowest Reeds. Should be a day away in PA.

Some fuel really seems to screw with those fiberglass reeds. I had a set that got "sticky" like the resin was being attacked.

You could always upgrade to the '06+ manifold and a VForce.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:24 PM

Thats what I'd like to do,, but cash right now is tight. Boyesen,, They're only 30 minutes from my house,, I wonder If I'll be over that way on a service call..
Steve
I wonder if the shell is now using the ethanol blend?
Old 06-13-2007, 08:47 PM

They are all ethanol blend here, have been for a few years now. Supposed to be 10% max, varies by season. All seem the same exept Lukoil, which my VRod does not like. Hey, when I was in Russia I had Vodka that tasted like gas, so it would not surprise me if the Russian Lukoil gas had a lot of Vodka in it.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:10 PM

Well reeds in all back together,, ran it around the yard 1st and 2nd,, runs much better, took a little to clear out at first, but seemed to run well, tried to get it to blubber or foul, but couldn't. Pulled the plug, dark but dry. I might run it again tomorrow night to see. The headlights seem to be working well right now, had been giving me problems lately,, thought I had a blown bulb,, is there any test on the stator? like resistance or?? I must say tho the pro cf reeds give it way better throttle response. I also double checked the float for twist and height and had to tweek it a little bit, now she doesnt dribble on the stand.
I should be taking her out for a little ride saturday morning and I'll do a report then.

Oh,, Glenn,, Vot you tink da vodka not should taste like petrol??

Steve
Oh to have some good vodka right now,, and a red bull,,,, if I didn't have to be up at 4:30am,,,,

Last edited by Cruiser; 06-20-2007 at 07:12 PM. Reason: cause