Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Other Bikes... > All Other Bikes...

All Other Bikes... KTM, Husky, VOR, Husaberg & Hondayamazuki...

Old 10-14-2015, 12:33 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven
Default Beta X-Trainer

So this weekend we had a bunch of old bullets (some almost 70) down here for a riding weekend and in the mix was a beta dealer who brought a '16 Xtrainer and I could not turn down the opportunity to test it.

To give some background to what I ride it is a 2010 ec300 with SP/twowheels tuned kyb sss forks, Scott's damper (because I already had it) and racetech Sachs shock, PV spacer, NEDJ needle and tubliss all round - so it is set up nice and no reason to Change anything

The beta I believe was stock (dealers first ride)
Sitting on it,it felt similar to the GG although a bit lower at the back (poss too much sag) clutch pull is a bit harder than the ajp and no kick start

Riding it feels smaller/lighter than the GG like a heavy trials bike with a seat. The power is on par with the GG but much smoother (very linear), doesn't pull your arms when you accelerate and it has good legs (it will apparently keep up with a KTM 300 on a drag strip and I believe it - you can just keep twisting the throttle ). I rode it on some tight rocky single track paths and some more open jeep tracks and honestly i wouldn't have been any faster on my bike I also felt that the bike could still go faster (and I could go much longer without getting tired on the beta because of the smooth power)

The suspension was faultless with the only downside being the front end felt a bit loose/twitchy this could be because of my bike having a damper or the suspected too much sag - not scary twitchy though more light. And with the light weight of the bike it is slightly easier to throw around and the front end comes up much faster than I am used to. The forks felt fine with no diving or deflection

Bottom line I could switch to this bike in a heartbeat and feel comfortable on it (I usually take a while to adapt to different bikes) this is testament to how similar it is to my bike. A really nice bike a pity I could not ride the 300rr to compare that as well. But for the technical riding I do I could happily buy this bike

Old 10-15-2015, 12:17 PM

Thanks for that great review! I've been thinking of that bike a lot, but I have my gasser right where I want it now. But as a smaller rider, the XTrainer is always in the back of my mind....One of the west coast mag reviews thought the suspension was too easy to blow through...did you find that as well? Did you jump it? And what is your rider weight?
Old 10-15-2015, 03:22 PM

I like the concept of the bike, but....no kickstart = no way would i buy one
Old 10-16-2015, 01:26 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulos View Post
I like the concept of the bike, but....no kickstart = no way would i buy one
If that is your biggest concern when buying a bike, your options will soon be limited I'm afraid.

I have never seen a Xtrainer in the flesh, but I presume it's the same engine cases as the other Beta twostrokes? I that case, I presume a kickstart could be retrofitted (with more or less hassle).

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 10-16-2015, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
If that is your biggest concern when buying a bike, your options will soon be limited I'm afraid.

I have never seen a Xtrainer in the flesh, but I presume it's the same engine cases as the other Beta twostrokes? I that case, I presume a kickstart could be retrofitted (with more or less hassle).
Yeah i know. I don't know why manufacturers are going down this path? I would much rather have a bike with a kickstarter and no electric start than the other way around.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post

There is a kit to allow fitment of the kickstarter. On some machines (think Sherco) the cases don't allow this, nor would the frame as there is no relief where the kickstart knuckle would need to swing.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 10-16-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
There is a kit to allow fitment of the kickstarter. On some machines (think Sherco) the cases don't allow this, nor would the frame as there is no relief where the kickstart knuckle would need to swing.
I presume, and others have ventured to guess, that the e-start only on the Sherco is in preparation for fuel injection on their 2t bikes (rumors of this for 2017). Apparently their injection design does not work well with a kick starter and would be essentially useless.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob 'Berg View Post
I presume, and others have ventured to guess, that the e-start only on the Sherco is in preparation for fuel injection on their 2t bikes (rumors of this for 2017). Apparently their injection design does not work well with a kick starter and would be essentially useless.

Or the factory could add a 2oz capacitor and keep a kick starter for back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
If an engine is designed without consideration for a kickstarter, why would it not follow that the frame on the corresponding motorcycle wouldn't allow for the installation of a kickstarter?

Am I missing something? Is there a point otherwise?
Old 10-17-2015, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP4 View Post
If an engine is designed without consideration for a kickstarter, why would it not follow that the frame on the corresponding motorcycle wouldn't allow for the installation of a kickstarter?

Am I missing something? Is there a point otherwise?
The first KTM 4Ts that came without a kicker still had the sweep in the right hand frame downtube to allow for one.

In a symmetric world the left and right downtubes would mirror each other but they often don't for packaging reasons.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters