Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 06-14-2015, 10:31 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Funnelweb Filter Review

Someone posted a link to Funnelweb filters recently - I contacted them at the email on their site and spoke to a company rep.

Although they don't advertise the GasGas filter on their site, they do make them specific to our model. The last filter I purchased elsewhere was a Honda crossover filter, and the fit was not ideal (2014 GG XC300R).

I bought a filter for me and one for my son's KTM65SX.

Construction:
The foam material is similar to other filters, perhaps a bit more dense than the NoToil I have been using. The filter is one consistent density all the way through, unlike the TwinAir variety. The filter itself is bonded to a urethane lip that holds grease nicely and seats well against the air box for a good seal.
One thing that is immediately noticeable to me is the seam on the filter. The glue on the Funnelweb seems particularly beefy. The true test will be multiple cycles of oil/clean.
The obvious and main selling point of the filter is the pyramid shaped surface, which effectively doubles the surface area of the filter. The physics of it makes sense to me, and is why I decided to pull the trigger. This surface makes the volume of the filter larger, so in some tight air boxes the filter could be squished a bit. The battery box and cables already touched the stock filter on my gasgas, so I can see a dent in the Funnelweb filter when I remove the seat. I don't see this as an issue.

Performance:
I use Maxima spray on filter oil and cleaner. I also follow the directions explicitly - cleaner->sit->water->warm soapy water->sit in warm water->squeeze water out->air dry.
When oiling the Funnelweb filter, it does take longer and requires more oil. You have to spray the filter from multiple directions to make sure and coat all sides of the pyramids on the filter surface. When I say it takes longer, I mean instead of 30 seconds it takes 1 minute. You'd have to really be in a hurry if that time increase bothers you!
The fit on my stock GG filter cage was excellent, so installing was just like the stock filter.
Both me and my son raced this weekend in our local hare scrambles series. The track was dusty and had both motocross and woods sections, as well as a hard/easy split with an enduro-x section.
I am extremely anal about my air filters - I change them after every ride, regardless of what they look like. I will say that I could have easily raced a second day on the same filter. My son's filter (30 minute race) looked totally fine. Given how the filter works, I suppose this is not surprising. You could essentially double the life of an oiled filter. I personally don't intend to do that - for me it will be just more of a safety margin as I'll continue changing them after each ride.

Cost is approximately 30-40% higher than a standard filter - my GG filter was right at $40.
The innovation is interesting.
I will add a follow-up post to this a few weeks down the road on how the filter holds up across multiple cleaning cycles.

funnelwebfilter.com.au

'14 GG XC300R - County Cycle Woods Weapon #63

Old 06-15-2015, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator

$40 AUD isn't a lot more than a twin air pre oiled filter costs here in Aus at RRP.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator

Great review.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:23 PM

Someone on my harescrambles forum was asking about FunnelWeb Filters and I pointed them to my review here.

It reminded me that I needed to do a followup review on how the filters are holding up.

I am STILL using the same 2 filters that I purchased back in June of last year, and they look damn good! They have not lost any of their structure. I've noticed sometimes filters will lose their shape and get floppy as they get old (yes, I know, it's a common problem...)
I have had no issues with the glue seams either.

To me the weakest point on filters in general are the small holes on the lip that the cage studs fit into. Over time they often get stretched out, many times due to not being that careful in removing/installing the filter from/to the cage. I do have a hole on one of the filters that is enlarged, but overall nothing compared to other filters I've used for this length of time.

I will only use these filters on my bikes from now on. In my armchair testing they trap more dirt and are more durable than any other filter I've tried. I don't know what more I could ask.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:13 PM

I ride in a dusty area, and I'm going to see if I can find or source them from my little spot here in bc Canada? Thks for the testing ,review, and long term feed back .
Old 03-14-2016, 11:38 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default funnel web filter

Which Cr filter works on the GG?
Old 05-05-2016, 05:20 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default Funnelweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatYoga View Post
Someone posted a link to Funnelweb filters recently - I contacted them at the email on their site and spoke to a company rep.

Although they don't advertise the GasGas filter on their site, they do make them specific to our model. The last filter I purchased elsewhere was a Honda crossover filter, and the fit was not ideal (2014 GG XC300R).

I bought a filter for me and one for my son's KTM65SX.

Construction:
The foam material is similar to other filters, perhaps a bit more dense than the NoToil I have been using. The filter is one consistent density all the way through, unlike the TwinAir variety. The filter itself is bonded to a urethane lip that holds grease nicely and seats well against the air box for a good seal.
One thing that is immediately noticeable to me is the seam on the filter. The glue on the Funnelweb seems particularly beefy. The true test will be multiple cycles of oil/clean.
The obvious and main selling point of the filter is the pyramid shaped surface, which effectively doubles the surface area of the filter. The physics of it makes sense to me, and is why I decided to pull the trigger. This surface makes the volume of the filter larger, so in some tight air boxes the filter could be squished a bit. The battery box and cables already touched the stock filter on my gasgas, so I can see a dent in the Funnelweb filter when I remove the seat. I don't see this as an issue.

Performance:
I use Maxima spray on filter oil and cleaner. I also follow the directions explicitly - cleaner->sit->water->warm soapy water->sit in warm water->squeeze water out->air dry.
When oiling the Funnelweb filter, it does take longer and requires more oil. You have to spray the filter from multiple directions to make sure and coat all sides of the pyramids on the filter surface. When I say it takes longer, I mean instead of 30 seconds it takes 1 minute. You'd have to really be in a hurry if that time increase bothers you!
The fit on my stock GG filter cage was excellent, so installing was just like the stock filter.
Both me and my son raced this weekend in our local hare scrambles series. The track was dusty and had both motocross and woods sections, as well as a hard/easy split with an enduro-x section.
I am extremely anal about my air filters - I change them after every ride, regardless of what they look like. I will say that I could have easily raced a second day on the same filter. My son's filter (30 minute race) looked totally fine. Given how the filter works, I suppose this is not surprising. You could essentially double the life of an oiled filter. I personally don't intend to do that - for me it will be just more of a safety margin as I'll continue changing them after each ride.

Cost is approximately 30-40% higher than a standard filter - my GG filter was right at $40.
The innovation is interesting.
I will add a follow-up post to this a few weeks down the road on how the filter holds up across multiple cleaning cycles.

funnelwebfilter.com.au
Do you have the part#, or crossover #?
Old 05-06-2016, 10:59 PM

I don't think I have the original email.
Very easy though - go to their website and send them an email. He will point
you right at the part # you need.
Even sent me a beer koozie made out of their pyramid material.

Still using the 2 filters I bought today and they are holding up great.

SF