Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:57 PM

Default Ducati looking @ purchasing Gas-Gas

While surfing through the Cycle News website, I came across an article in their online magazine that states that Ducati is interested in the company,apparently to add off road bikes to the line-up. The article is on page 8 of the Jan 16th edition. This could be very interesting!

Old 01-09-2008, 11:16 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Man If that happens, I hope they don't morph the two brand names together. Cause that would mean the new brand would be called "DUC GAS"

Sorry that was pretty bad! I couldn't help myself though.

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 01-10-2008, 12:09 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOO......

They can have a bit but no more than 40%. Gasser must retain that family business, dead keen, in it for the sport attitude. As soon as it becomes hard nosed business the Gasser we know and love will be a thing of the past.

On the other hand..if they were to be bought out, Duc are probably the best bet. Shame they're not Spanish. Hmm...the Ducati 450 singles were made in Spain..

Thinks...more...it would be great for the US 'cause Gasser would get hold of the Ducati distribution network..it would also help Gasser thru' their continuing cash flow crises.

Can you please post linky?

'06 Raga Rep

(hopefully '08 EC200 & '10 TXT Pro 250 soon)

Last edited by TooFastTim; 01-10-2008 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:50 AM

"It's Nature that Brings out the Madness"
GasGas FSR450 07'
Old 01-10-2008, 08:35 AM

What's everyones thoughts about this possibility. Good or bad?

Skidad in MA
Old 01-10-2008, 09:27 AM

As long as they don't rejigger the entire North American US distribution network for the 3rd time in less than a year. Duc has a good history of opting for performance over mass market appeal. R&D budget would most definetly increase. Prices are sure to increase.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:45 AM
Site Sponsor

My understanding would put this at maybe a 1:100 possibility.

Over the last couple of year's a lot of rumors about other companies looking at buying into GasGas have been circulating including companies like: Harley Davidson, KTM, and Polaris.

These rumors are usually based on one of those companies' visiting GasGas and looking into buying into the company, but nothing comes of it as only 1/3 of the company is for sale, that percentage held by the existing financial partner.

Although I trust Alan Cathcart's judgment in putting the story together his lead includes the word "rumored" and that pretty much puts it into perspective.

The story touches on 2 areas:

1) that Ducati is continuely looking into moving into other motorcycle lines (off-road and trials) after loosing out on Husqvarna.

and 2) GasGas builds some very innovative motorcycles.

This thread should be able to provide some descent input into what could happen if another company was to take over majority control of GasGas.

In my opnion Ducati wouldn't be my first choice but it definetly wouldn't be my last choice either.

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist
Old 01-10-2008, 02:36 PM

Steve, who would be your first choice?

'06 Raga Rep

Old 01-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Site Sponsor

Hopefully somebody who would leave the research and development and manufactoring in Spain.

GasGas has had goodluck with building a great off-road enduro bike where most people who get a chance to ride one, regardless of what bike they currently own, give them high praise, espcially in stock form.

GasGas trials bikes speak for themselves and their new "flathead" engine design is going to set the trials world on fire.

Somebody like BMW would be great but now that they have Husqvarna I kind of doubt they would buy into GasGas unless their interested in trials. When Husky was up for sale I often wondered what type of motorcycle they and GasGas could build if they only merged.

In fact the trials line is most likey GasGas's strongest suit when you look at why other motorcycle companies might consider buying GasGas. Both BMW/Husqvarna and KTM are without a trials bike line and that most likely accounted for KTM's look at GasGas a few years ago. Of course there would just be something wrong with a KTM built GasGas.

If that were to happen at least we know that KTM and Husaberg have co-existed for almost 10 years already since KTM bought HBG so GasGas would probably still have its own identity.

I did get a little excited when Polaris was looking at GasGas, mostly because they are a US/Minnesota company, but you have to realize they were looking at GasGas as a means of getting a foothold in Europe.

They most likely would have moved some of their ATV production to Spain to avoid European Union taxes and probably would have moved the GasGas research and design to the US.

Polaris definatly could use a dirt bike to go with their ATV line but their a billion dollar company and if they loose interest in something their not afraid to close a plant, or eliminate a whole line-up like they did with their personal watercraft line a few years ago.

My gut feeling is that GasGas will pick up another finacial partner who will control some of the purse strings and leave the production and reseach and development as is.

Of course all of this is just fodder for speculation sake but you asked.

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist
Old 01-10-2008, 04:51 PM

Personally I think you're overrating the value if the trials market. It's very small with very little market exposure (when was the last time you saw trials on TV?). I think annual total production of trials bikes is something in the region of 20-25 thousand units per year (Gasser, Sherco, Montesa, Scorpa & Beta) and that's saturated. Small fry where Yamaha probably sell that many YZF's in the states annually.

IMO it's the enduro market that's attractive.

Let's discuss the options:

KTM, KTM could buy but would kill Gasser. No love lost there. They'd kill them off to get them off their backs

BMW, too late.

Ducati: discussed above.

Aprilia..hmm might be a good suitor. But they, like Gasser, are always lurching from crisis to crisis.

Guzzi, not in a position to buy anybody. Are they still owned by Tomaso?

Vespa. Possibly

Triumph: Niche marketing. Bloor doesn't see the value in racing.

Chinese: Ah! The Chinese bought out Benelli. It seems to be working. No doubts the Chinese would like an off-road product. Production could be moved to China, but R&D would remain in Spain (even the Chinese admit to having metallurgy problems). A distinct possibility.

'06 Raga Rep