Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 02-14-2019, 03:55 PM

Default 2019 EC300 Engine Vibration

Has anyone experienced excessive engine vibration on the 2019 EC 2 strokes that has been caused by some kind of engine component fault?

My EC300 has much more vibration than any other 2 stroke I have ever had and it has severely limited my riding by triggering some very nasty reactions in my hands, arms and shoulders. None of my previous bike have had balancer shafts so it's not like I have gone back to something having experienced better.

All the engine mounts are tight and to torque spec and there is nothing obvious so any tips before I start stripping engine parts would be appreciated.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudolfHucker View Post
Has anyone experienced excessive engine vibration on the 2019 EC 2 strokes that has been caused by some kind of engine component fault?

My EC300 has much more vibration than any other 2 stroke I have ever had and it has severely limited my riding by triggering some very nasty reactions in my hands, arms and shoulders. None of my previous bike have had balancer shafts so it's not like I have gone back to something having experienced better.

All the engine mounts are tight and to torque spec and there is nothing obvious so any tips before I start stripping engine parts would be appreciated.
When you slack the bolts of for the engine mounts.. how does it sit in the frame? Any excessive clearance that might need to be shimmed out?

No broken head stays?

If that's a no.. I'd be checking the stator side for any play.. Make sure the ring gear hasn't come loose etc. If you pick up play there then I'd take the rhs engine cover off and check the torque on the crank nut.

How many hours on it? Has it always been like this?
Old 02-15-2019, 03:44 AM

It only has 10 hours on it but the vibration has been so bad I haven't been able to ride it without severe hand and arm cramps. Never had this with a string of KTMs and a Beta.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:02 AM

I would suggest removing covers and checking for any play in main bearings. I guess there's a possibility a main bearing could be faulty/have failed.

Good luck.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:35 AM

Frankly, the 2018 shakes pretty horribly at the bars compared to all the other 2t austrian bikes I've had.
Both the bike I test rode and the one I bought so it wasn't just one.

I cleaned out quite a lot of it by replacing the grips with Emig2 grips.

I feel these stiff Renthal bars carry a lot of it straight to the upper body too. I am ready to replace them with some ProTaper EVO that I used to take some of the jarring out of my older KTMs & Husky but am holding off for now after I put on the Mako 360 mounts. Over the last 6 hours of frozen ground riding with the Mako 360 (IE, the ones always the harshest for me) I eliminated most of the joint pain I was getting from my shoulders, elbow, and wrists.

I had been a fan of the Mako 360 on my previous bikes so I broke down and put them on the GG. Man, I don't regret spending that money at all.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:08 AM

The 2019 has Neken bars which are the same as on my previous 300 EXC. I have replaced the grips witn Renthal Kevlars and have just converted my KTM PHDS bar mounts to fit the GasGas. Also, a secondhand set of Fasst Impact Pegs have gone on today.

I shall be testing this combination this weekend to see if that improves matters.

I have seen that the UK importer offers an S3 Racing piston that is quoted as reducing vibration. Perhaps the OEM piston is a lower qualiy item.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudolfHucker View Post
I have seen that the UK importer offers an S3 Racing piston that is quoted as reducing vibration. Perhaps the OEM piston is a lower qualiy item.
I thought the OEM pistons were S3 Racing? Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers, Dave.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davehuge View Post
I thought the OEM pistons were S3 Racing? Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers, Dave.
My understanding was that OEM is vertex/s3.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:11 PM

Hi guys, this is a topic me and a friend have been discussing, my 19 300 is running so so go I am chuffed to bits with it but my friend got his bike the same day as me he is experiencing vibration issues... I think if I was experiencing vibration I be checking the fly wheel first and then work my way through the bike, one thing I noticed when I put the S3 head on the little bit of vibration I did feel ( same amount as my old KTM) nearly disappeared because the silver insert lowers the compression and the bike rides so much better.......
Old 02-15-2019, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Vertex/S3 are stock pistons.

If it's not an alignment issue between the engine and frame then it has to be internal.

Easy enough to check the flywheel for play at a first. If you really want a smooth engine then a full rebuild, well trued crank, and some accurate measuring of tolerances through the engine is the best way forward..

I still don't like that GG is persisting with these sealed main bearings; although I haven't heard of many failures in regard to them. I just don't like it in theory.

I haven't had my rhs engine cover off yet so not sure what kind of counter weight setup the newer engines run vs the old.

The cranks have changed, so perhaps some are coming out closer to tolerance than others.

I only have 8 hrs on my 250, and I don't feel it vibed any worse than my last couple. Maybe a bit more through the pegs; but I just changed boots last ride too.