Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > GasGas Member Polls

GasGas Member Polls Find out what everyone thinks about it!

View Poll Results: Do you compete or just ride recreationally?
I compete in MORE than 1 series. 35 18.52%
I compete in a series. 24 12.70%
I compete once in a while at select events. 54 28.57%
I only trail ride / play ride. 76 40.21%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2011, 08:21 AM

I started riding in 1964 and have competed in enduros, hare scrambles, and mx most of my life. I started riding enduros in 1972 and for many years there was not a SERA event that I and then my son Brian wasn't at. My last enduro was the National in Louisiana in 2000. I have been riding hare scrambles regurlarly since 1994 to 2008. I haven't raced anything since 2008 but I'll get back out there for a few select events. Was going to Maplesville for the Cross Country Shootout this January, but hurt my back on my mountain bike the week before.
I added quad racing to my list of addictions around 2002 but haven't raced a quad since 2008 as well. I do some track days on sport bikes but no racing. At 61 the older I get the faster I was, so my racing days are fewer but hopefully not over.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:03 AM

I have raced HS and enduros off and on for over 30 years, but we also enjoy trail riding. Usually take at least several long weekends and a week to CO to trail ride. We also have 85 acres out our front door to ride on.

This pic was taken today. Love riding in the snow too.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:03 PM

I compete in enduros and H/S events. I've been riding for more years than I care to admit. When I was young I was really serious about racing. Went all over the country and even won my class in national enduros and H/S occasionally. Made AA status in our local AMA district back in the 70s.
Now I'm well into my 60s, but still enjoy riding as much as I ever did, just for different reasons. Enjoyment now comes from trail riding with all my friends of the last several decades that used to be my competitors. Nothing better than sitting around after a ride shooting the bull. Oh, I still ride enduros and I still really try to win my class, but winning isn't as important as friends.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolmaker View Post
I compete in enduros and H/S events. I've been riding for more years than I care to admit. When I was young I was really serious about racing. Went all over the country and even won my class in national enduros and H/S occasionally. Made AA status in our local AMA district back in the 70s.
Now I'm well into my 60s, but still enjoy riding as much as I ever did, just for different reasons. Enjoyment now comes from trail riding with all my friends of the last several decades that used to be my competitors. Nothing better than sitting around after a ride shooting the bull. Oh, I still ride enduros and I still really try to win my class, but winning isn't as important as friends.
I bet Layton and Spencer make you work for it.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:01 PM

Default Practice ride

In Gainesville, we have several areas to ride. A few secret areas like rock gardens, remote hidden sand tracks, and a few folks with single track on their property that I have come to know over the years of being here.

There are also pay areas such as Waldo mx, Hard rock mx, and the national forests.

I signed up for FTR this year with the intention on racing the Vet C class and after much headache trying to get my KTM legal with a spark arrestor, header wrap, numbers, etc. and looking at the entry fees, the sponsor (ama, FTR, gate fees, pit fees, registration fees, delays, rain, last minute cancellations), I decided not to enter any races here. Like others have said, too much stress, running around, and what for? I am not traveling the state of Florida in a points quest to prove anything.

I tallied up what entering ONE race here would cost, and it was almost $200....

I mainly ride these "free" areas and pay the entrance fee on "practice days" at the local tracks. Most tracks have three or more riding areas with trails so you are not stuck doing one thing all day. I'm happy practicing, and with the buddies that go with me we "race" there for bragging rights.

Racing at my age around here seems like a big PITA. I've been riding since I was 9, and have never raced!
Old 06-02-2011, 02:51 PM

Hare & Hounds, Enduro, odd trip to MX tracks, Trail riding, anything that involves riding a mucky bike really. Had road bikes aswell but not nearly so much fun.
43 now, 6 heart attacks, Chrons disease, knackered joints etc after 30 odd years of riding bikes and im still eager but no longer competative.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:44 PM

I have just started to do a few competitive events with a local club, nothing serious but I am really enjoying it. Raced on mx, open grass track and sprint loops so far.

Not a massive fan of mx - probably need a few more goes to get used to it. Really loved the sprint events and I am looking forward to my first cross country event in a few weeks time.

Must admit it is a big step up in intensity and fitness between a local trail ride and a competitive event, something I am really lacking and is holding me back a lot!!!

Need to do more specific training and not so much lounge chair trail rides I think