Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:50 PM

Another quick note. Having a head mod done to clean up the squish works wonders on smaller cc bikes. I did it on 2 KDX's and on my current KTM 200. It cleans things up to run super crisp and clean. Ron Black (RB Designs) is local for us and does awesome work! Just something to consider. Pretty cheap too.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by firffighter View Post
Another quick note. Having a head mod done to clean up the squish works wonders on smaller cc bikes. I did it on 2 KDX's and on my current KTM 200. It cleans things up to run super crisp and clean. Ron Black (RB Designs) is local for us and does awesome work! Just something to consider. Pretty cheap too.
Amen!

I have 4 hours (one ride) on my 2013 250R. Heads due back from TSP any day now. By far the best bang for buck mod on ANY 2T. Easier to jet, less variation in jetting/more stable, improved power, and improved economy. If it makes the bike too angy just gear her up to tame her down.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:44 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Guys...some follow-up questions on the needles.

Which needles should I look into purchasing for my 200?

Is the NOZH a good needle to test with?

I see some people talking about the CCL (or maybe it was CCR - not the band ) - one of these?

Any other "good" needles to get that work well with a #7 slide?

Russ (or Jakobi) - about the head mod...what exactly is done with that modification? And more importantly, what's the typical cost? Any longevity issues when doing something like that?
Old 01-16-2014, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2day View Post
Russ (or Jakobi) - about the head mod...what exactly is done with that modification? And more importantly, what's the typical cost? Any longevity issues when doing something like that?
Price will vary depending where you go and what they do. Cycle playground, or RB get good reviews in the states and are likely way cheaper than here in Aus. All comes down to wages and time.

A decent engine builder will reduce the squish clearance (piston to head clearance), match the angle of the squish band to the dome, and then correct the volume to set the compression ratio to suit your fuels (or engine characteristics). Its basically just a blue print which will improve efficiency. No negative effects on engine life.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:53 PM

i'm at this setting :
MJ 180 (may try 178 for more rev)
PJ 40
needle CCL 3rd notch from top

no head mods done, idles more or less ok.
i did notice i have slide no 6 !?
but this setting's real good to me.

oh, and mine's a 2001 ec 200 (AS1?)

ciao, Hannes.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:38 PM

Hey Brad. Gave you the link to Ron Black. The haed mod cleans up the squish and like Jacobi said it is the best bang for your buck when it comes to 2-strokes, especially smaller cc bikes that can be more sensitive to jetting.

Jacobi's description is spot on. I would use these 2 words: linear and crisp. It makes the power delivery linear and makes things nice and crisps throughout. I just had mine done on my KTM 200 and it is so worth it! You'll never have to play with your jetting again.

Ron does awesome work, is local and has very quick turnaround.

http://www.rb-designs.com/gasgas-head-mod.htm
Old 01-16-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Price will vary depending where you go and what they do. Cycle playground, or RB get good reviews in the states and are likely way cheaper than here in Aus. All comes down to wages and time.

A decent engine builder will reduce the squish clearance (piston to head clearance), match the angle of the squish band to the dome, and then correct the volume to set the compression ratio to suit your fuels (or engine characteristics). Its basically just a blue print which will improve efficiency. No negative effects on engine life.
Hey mate, did you send yours O/S or is there someone in Australia you could recommend? Cheers
Old 01-16-2014, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulos View Post
Hey mate, did you send yours O/S or is there someone in Australia you could recommend? Cheers
http://www.twostrokeperformance.com.au/

Its not cheap, especially when comparing to what you can get them done for in the states. He does a thorough job though and takes the time to work out what you're trying to achieve before he gets stuck into the job. In my case with my last head I just asked him to set it to certain tolerances and compression ratios and he made it happen.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:10 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firffighter View Post
Ron does awesome work, is local and has very quick turnaround.
http://www.rb-designs.com/gasgas-head-mod.htm
Thanks Russ - that's definitely in the "budgetable" range

So, stupid question - what do I have to take apart to give to him? Sorry for the ignorance, but this is beyond anything I've messed with previously. I see that he's just over the hill from me in Sherwood, that's frickin' awesome.

Back on the needle note, can someone recommend a leaner needle than what I'm currently running? Is the CCL needle hannesd mentioned leaner? How about that NOZH needle - is that leaner?

I'm thinking that trying a leaner pilot and slightly leaner needle will help clear the spooge and get my plug in the right ballpark.

Of course, all that might be moot with the head mod?
Old 01-17-2014, 12:30 PM

Back on the needle note, can someone recommend a leaner needle than what I'm currently running? Is the CCL needle hannesd mentioned leaner? How about that NOZH needle - is that leaner?

i've looked things up, before the CCL ,i came from NOZG
just to give you the info i had.
that was def richer then the CCL

good luck and have fun riding soon again :-)

Hannes.