Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:50 PM

Ill start off by saying my feet are kinda big, i have size 14 fox boots. I moved the shifter up a little to make shifting easier while sitting. But while standing, i either rock my foot back on the peg to up shift, or grip the bike with my legs and kind of lift my leg up to shift. Thats the way I usually do it, but im not a professional or anywhere near

Old 06-11-2007, 02:55 PM

A technique that I have found very useful is to practice full lock turns. In order to do this, you will be using both rear and front brakes as well as the clutch and to a limited extent, the throttle.

This is great stuff for new riders as well as good practice for seasoned riders. Once you can get comfortable making slow controlled full lock turns (in both directions) while sitting or standing, your ready to make it harder. Do it on the side of a hill. Try it in mud, rocks, everywhere.

Once you have this skill down, you might be able to pull off the feet up slow speed 180-degree power slides while standing and be ready for the next obstacle. I practice this skill all the time and it helps me tremendously!
Old 06-12-2007, 12:31 AM

full lock? is that when you have the handle bars turned all the way to one side or is it something else? im not sure what you mean
Old 06-12-2007, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman View Post
full lock? is that when you have the handle bars turned all the way to one side or is it something else? im not sure what you mean
i rekon he means when the bars are turned so they wont go any further

i'll be giving this one ago this weekend
good advice
Old 06-12-2007, 07:40 AM

Yes, "full lock" in this case means to turn the bars until they won't turn anymore. Remember to look where you want to go and not at the front wheel.

This exercise will teach you clutch control, brake control and other things. It's easy to push the front end when learning this drill and you will learn how to save the front end from washing out or use it to your advantage on occasion. You may also learn to finish a tight turn with a feet up power slide.

The best thing that this is done at really low speeds and can be done in a very small area. I do it in the street at least once a week.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:00 PM

Thats a basic move that trials riders practice all the time. I'll have to give it a go. Lock to lock on my gasser isn't too bad comapre to beta trials bike. Beta has about a 180 degree swing on the bars. Lock to lock on that puppy takes some skill!!
Old 06-13-2007, 07:45 AM

I hvae been paying more attention to standing over the last 6 months as you seem to have a much smoother ride.This weekend while going down a deep rutt and trying to keep out the middle I was using my footpegs to counter balance the bike , the front washed from the side of the rutt into the middle causing me to be flung over the bars into the dirt. At this point I think its a good idea to sit down when going down hill.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:54 PM

I just sold my '97 GasGas JXT270 last week. That bike made me into a much better rider.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:31 PM

Funny, I have a post out there with the opposite problem.
I've always preferred slow technical riding, and after riding Trials for a year, found it hard to sit down in enduros. 50+ miles of standing (short course) had me plenty tired by the end.

I second (third?) practicing full lock turns at low speed. Try to keep your shoulders parallel to the bars. That will mean your hips have to rotate and your ass will be hanging off the outside of the bike. Essentially, you want to lean the bike into the turn and counter balance with your body. Pay attention to your outside knee. You'll find this easier to do if you point it away from the bike a little. As a matter of fact, being in a bow-legged stance will help with this in general. This will feel exaggerated, but is a good way to practice.

If you find that you are dabbing the inside foot, you aren't leaning out far enough. I watched a guy pretty much drag the handgrips in the dirt on a trials bike at walking speed.

I took a trials/offroad course (Moto Ventures) where one of the drills was to slalom through some cones without turning the bars. Pure steering with your feet. It's sketchy at first, but after a few passes, you start to get used to the front end drifting (what happens when you lean the bike but don't turn the bars). The purpose of the drill is to learn to steer with your feet. It's a good drill if you have the space. I often find myself reminding myself to "steer with your feet," when I feel like I'm fighting my way through something. Usually, I am just getting tired and trying to muscle the bars around.

If you have the opportunity, get on a trials bike and ride an event. Lots of fun and a good way to build skills.
2016 Africa Twin
1975 Honda CB400 F1 (X2, projects)
2019 RE 650INT
1982 KDX80
2017 KAW EX300
1982 XL500R
2015 HUSKY FE501S
1972 HON CB175
Old 06-20-2007, 06:18 PM

If you can get your hands on a copy of 'Dirtwise' with Shane Watts, he demonstrates the full lock turns and heaps of other useful techniques used in trail/enduro riding.