Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:12 PM
Site Sponsor

Talking GasGas on the cover of Cycle News

A first for the GasGas brand and hopefully a sign of things to come.

http://cyclenews.com/current-issue

Of course most of you got a chance to read the pre-print review on CycleNews.com a couple of weeks ago but the print version is said to be a little more detailed.

---------

FWIW - A first for myself as well as I have photo on the cover of two magazines this month where along with the Cycle News cover I also have the cover shot of Destry Abbott in the AMA Racer magazine from last years Six Days in Greece.

http://ama-cycle.org/amaracer/1/3/

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist

Last edited by Berkyboy; 09-25-2009 at 06:08 AM.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:10 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Congratulations on the photos Steve. I do a little photography as well.

And congratulations gasgas for getting some press.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:34 AM
Site Sponsor

Don't want you guys to think this post was about me as the real excitment is about GasGas working directly with the US press on new models and the US press responding with a front page story.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:15 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkyboy View Post
Don't want you guys to think this post was about me as the real excitment is about GasGas working directly with the US press on new models and the US press responding with a front page story.
It's great to see on both accounts!
Old 09-26-2009, 07:15 PM

steve what do you use for a camera??
Me an my buds have been wasting our time trying to get pics of each other at races using P.O.S digital cameras. time to step up and get a good one. What do you suggest??
Old 09-27-2009, 08:05 AM

I can chime in a little here. The question you asked is a real open ender. It really depends on how willing you are to spend time learning how to use the camera and learning post-shoot digital photo editing.

Some good resources-
http://www.dcresource.com/
http://www.dpreview.com/

I personally didn't want to put in all the effort associated with a true Digital SLR (Single Lens Reflex aka a full body camera). I bought a canon powershot S3 IS because I beleive no matter what you need some glass and some non-digital zoom. The current version would be the Canon SX1 IS.

Here are some of my fav pics taken with the S3 IS-

2003 EC250 w/ Ohlins pkg
Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:14 AM
Site Sponsor

As always it's definately not about the latest and newest camera technology that's available but more about understanding how photography works and what techniques make a good photo. SideshowBob has some good examples of what works photographically and I can tell be his technique that they weren't just "point and shoot" pictures but pictures that were carefully thought out.

I personally like a camera the easily allows manual focusing, aperture and shutter speed adjustments and that comes from most full bodied D-SLRs. Currently I shoot with the following Nikon D-SLR cameras: a D1x, a D300 and a D90. Each of them accomodate manual adjustments very easily.

Don't get me wrong I do shoot on automatic sometimes and almost always use auto-focus but when you have to get a money shot and you only have one chance, like at a National Enduro when you only get to see Mike Lafferty in action maybe three times in a day, you better make sure the picture has most of the elements that work or your going to be dissapointed.

One of my favorite digitial cameras ever is the Nikon D70 or D70s. Its no longer being built but it has all of the controls that allow easy overiding of the automatic controls when that's necessary. You normally can find one on E-bay for under $300.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:31 AM

Here's another vote for the Nikon DSLR. I love my D-40. Leave it turned on all day and when the time comes to point and shoot (quickly), it doesn't take 30 seconds to "come alive" and focus. It takes about 1/2 second to come alive and in burst mode will capture 100 (I think) photos in a row.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)