Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:53 PM

Default 2000-2002ec 200 vs 1996-06 kdx 200

Wondering how much better the gasgas is think I have to sell my 300 so I want something in this affordable range so I don't have to quit riding altogether. I have already owned a KDX so I'm just looking at my options. Thanks

Old 01-16-2012, 10:57 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

KDX,

I'd buy the GG and not look twice! Having said that, I own a KDX 200 and a GG DE 300 - and haven't actually ridden an EC200. But the GG 200 and 300 share the same frame, suspension, and controls - and IMO the GG is way ahead of the KDX in terms of quality of components and "smooth" operation. Don't get me wrong - I've had a ton of fun on the KDX. But I find the GG is a better bike in every aspect. The KDX has a great motor - and from what I've heard, the GG 200 is like a KDX only "more so."

This wasn't the reason for my post - but I do have a nice '01 KDX for sale with RB carb mod and FWW, Fredette springs, jetted almost perfectly, FMF exhaust, runs great. Let me know if you're interested.

Happy riding,

Jeff
Old 01-16-2012, 11:38 PM

I agree with Jeff. I love the KDX and had a couple of them highly modded, but I think you get a better all around package with the Gasgas.

We now have a EC200 in our garage, but I have not had a chance to ride it yet (my son's bike).

As you already know, the Gasgas is the most KDX-like bike out there.

That being said, I have a special place in my heart for KDX's and Jeff's is a very nice ride. It is jetted perfectly and is very fun to ride

One thing to consider is that a guy has to be very patient in getting his hands on a Gasgas 200. Might have to look around the nation and get one shipped as they rarely come up for sale in the NW. Of course you could get a new one from Tasky's or Gran Prix.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:18 AM

I went from an RB-Designed modified 2003 KDX220R to the EC250.

I won't even bother to compare the engines as it would be unfair. I do have a few miles of time on a 2003(?) EC200 but not enough to get a good memory of it (other than the motor was way better).

The Gasser turned, stopped, clutched, suspended, etc, way better then the KDX, as much fun as the KDX was to ride, the Gasser really got me enjoying my time on our rocky trails.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:02 PM

OK, I know this may stir things up a bit, but, my RB'd KDX220 with KX front forks was as good a woods bike as I have owned and I've owned a lot.

For certain terrain (mainly the tight, steep stuff here in the NW), a nicely outfitted KDX is very hard to beat. The way the engine puts power the ground is perfectly fitted to this type of terrain. It has dated ergos, but it is also more comfortable for long sit down rides and with a few mods, it can be set up nicely.

Yes, the Gasgas better brakes, clutch, suspension, etc. and it is about as good a bike as it gets for woods riding. But, the KDX is very capable and in the right hands is a woods weapon.

If I were to ride the same section of terrain on my old KDX220 vs. my Gasgas, I am sure the times would be so close it would be a wash. But, I am an old, slow B trail rider and dont need a kick butt race bike. I just like riding something different than everyone else.

Funny thing, I know for a fact that I was fastest on a Yamaha WR250f! I dont know why, but that "girls" bike suited me well and I was so confident on that thing that I could really push.

Different strokes for different folks.

Like I said, I have a special place in my heart for KDX'
Old 01-17-2012, 03:43 PM

Ya starting to miss my 04 kdx 200 had showa 47mm twin chambers and resprung and valved suspension I could haul on that thing not sure what to get next for the price range I'm looking in. Thinking another H model then a hybrid swap when things get better.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:12 PM

A KDX200/220 hybrid was always on my wish list.

That amazing motor in an updated frame and ergos would be pretty cool.

After I get some seat time on my son's EC200 I will let you know how that bike compares.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:30 PM

I forgot to mention that I did the KX fork mod as well.

The big thing I recall about the KDX was that I had to spot early the beginning of a whoop section to get enough speed to clip the tops of them. The Gasser, way quicker.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:40 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default Us

Wife went from a 98' KDX to a 2000 GG 200.

No comparison. She still talks about her first GG, not sure she remembers that she had a KDX
2007 Beta Rev 3 270
2007 KTM 200 XC Wife's

Public Lands belong to the Public