Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Community Forums > SouthEast United States

Old 04-28-2012, 09:43 PM

Default brushy ride review, bike review, Add on parts review

I have never enjoyed and hated a machine so much at any given time! These machines are just absolute beasts. Not a single machine I've toyed with since buying this have really had anything for it, this trip there is a fairly long dirt straight, one left sweep, fairly smooth, running with my buddy on his extreme TT500 seriously tweaked he is pushing some big power, he had nothing for the 300, he backed off in 4th, I caught 5th and got into a little road texture, wow, thought my yamawobble was bad! the suspension was doing an awesome job, I suspect if these bikes are worth 85mph? I must have been pushing over 70 and it dang sure didn't take long to get it but she got crazy unstable, can certainly see why people running them on the upper end put those lower links on the rear. bottom line, if this bike can't get it done, it is either the rider or undoable!! :-)

Brushy has some single track that puts carolina adventure world to shame, I had to increase a few clicks on the front compression and the rear low speed, then upped the high speed about a 3rd of a turn, that brought the mushiness out of it that wasn't showing up at carolina's washed out atv trails. There are also multiple just nasty hill climbs and while nearly everything was very soft the gullies were pretty much a mushed up mud bog preventing what most would think an appropriate approach speed, running an dunlop 31 this thing just ate it for lunch, pulling 2nd and 3rd gear runs at near idle at times with nary a bog, hiccup or belch. Extremely tractable power. This facility has some of the nicer maintained and marked trails I have seen, especially in consideration of the scale of the trails.

Now for the hate.....I have never experienced such a "switch" this machine is tractable and ?seasoned?? you can tell this is a working combination, but again she put me down in a microsecond hard without one iota of an inkling. It is as if she finds a point in speed where it just quits being that forgiving beast and turns into a nasty unforgiving bitch. Both occasions she has really hurt me have been front end wash outs,(other minor oops have been me learning it) the first I was to far ahead of my buddies and I wrote it off to me learning the machine, this time my corider was right off my right side on the mx track and we were heading into a mild 180 left with maybe a 50 foot radius, I had my body right, I was up on the tank, my foot was moving out in transfer and I was just about to slip her a bit and drift the arse out and bang we are sliding along the left side. My corider said he was pushing a bit but felt safe, he was actually watching for my line so he had a perfect view and just shook his head, no idea, one moment he is watching my line and gonna come down on the inside of me before I sandblasted his face and the next he is trying to miss my sliding bike. I am going to try a new dunlop 51 front (currently bridgestone), I just can't think of anything else, the bike balance is right, the springs are right, the sag is right but she is dropping me hard in conditions I have not gone down in in a very long time.

That all said, the fastway version 2, extremely durable, both sides have now taken multiple smacks, one on each side has knocked them out of alignment, but no bends, just road rash, a loosening of the mount bolts and a reset and back we go! the roost guards, not so much, they are destroyed near about, I'll run them a bit more with some tape but when toast I'll trash them.

Pivot pegz! OMG I took to these things like a duck to water, I reset my rear brake engage point up a good bit taking a wrench as a straight edge and setting a hard brake apply distance equal to the max down pivot, interestingly even though I raised my brake engagement, my rear brake were noticeably cooler? prior I've shut her down and the rotor was just burning, destroyed OE pads, crystalized them and the front (trailing) edge just blew out, when I pulled them to replace I only had about half of the pad itself left in contact with the rotor. Interestingly, I think my caliper is bent out, the piston side pad has full contact, the pinch side pad is only wearing about 1/2 on the top side, the old pad I pulled out was worn at a very bad angle, wonder if I got the caliper so hot it flexed out the caliper "fingers" or maybe it is just weak. Anyone else seeing and angled wear pattern on their wheel side rear brake pad?

EBC fa367R pads, very nice, they went through some serious muck, never missed a beat found them to be a very progressive brake apply very predictable.

OE gas cap seal, ughh, I had a little slosh over the water breaks on the trails, I pulled over to tighten the cap, made no difference, pulled over again, looked at it, part of it looked missing? I popped it out, made no sense out of it, then it would stay back in the cap? So I set it on the tank, then put the cap on, still sloshed, got back to the trailer and trashed it, not to sure what is going on there.

Fisher seat mod, it has some decent trail time now, just awesome does not hamper movement one bit when aggressive, but want to do a pop around the youth trails or idle following some buds at a slower pace, not a problem, park your can and motor around with some serious comfort.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

The seals in the caps shrink out of size after a while. Usually along one edge first and no amount of tightening stops it leaking. I have personally found best results by pulling the rubber seal out and running plastic on plastic. Seals next to perfect. Have to make sure the top of the tank is level though.

Good review Mazi. Needs pics You'll probably find switching tyres will make a big difference, as does air pressure across the brands.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:30 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

mazi that's a great review.You are a hard man testing a good bike.Tell it like it is.
A decent rubber in the cap does the job.We want pics.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:27 PM

Sorry, no riding pics available, it is on my wish list dependent on my "blow money" :-P income, just on the bottom, not to many left above it now though, the gasgas bike is really set up as is.

Tubliss setup
seal savers
chain/sprocket combo
go pro kit
flywheel weight

It was a great day to ride though, might have reached 70f, maybe, sun never came out, nicely overcast all day, just a super cool day with nice damp woods.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:47 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

We rode Brushy earlier this month, thought I would attach the below link to show some of the terrain. I'll be on my new to me 11' ec250 on the next trip.

http://contour.com/stories/brushy-mo...april-1st-2012
Old 04-30-2012, 08:07 PM

Nice! I had to watch it twice just fiddling with that camera thing, perhaps I jumped on the go pro wagon to fast, I had never heard or seen a contour, time to do some more reading!
Old 09-04-2012, 05:34 PM

The Contour is a nice camera, plus you don't have to worry that it's not ON. You can see some vids of Brushy on Youtube by searching my username on there, gmoss357.

Just thought I would comment, looking hard at GG for my next bike and will be posting for some opinions shortly.