GasGas Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   GasGas Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-22-2010, 04:15 PM
REVERUP's Avatar
REVERUP REVERUP is offline
Gold Level Site Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bonney Lake, Washington USA
Posts: 1,269
Default Small changes I would like to see.

Hey Clay I know its early on and you cant make everyone happy but thought I would mention a couple simple things that shouldn't add any cost to the msrp that I would like to see changed on the US standard model E start bikes.

Please can the factory lose the key switch for a button like a Yamaha WR. Location of key switch also makes Mx number plate mounting impossible without relocation.Ya its kind of cool to be able to take the key out for added security but its also kind of a worry.

Also change the gigantic dual sport handlebar switch set up for the E start and kill switch for a smaller design, or just have 2 separate buttons, a kill switch and a start button like most enduro models. When you cut the bars down things get tight in a hurry if your running enduro equipment with that behemoth.
The brake light sensor plug ins can also go. funny there even there as they aren't plugged in to anything and they don't include a tail light. If the bikes become road legal in the future or are easily made so, then I can understand including.

Black rims suck on an offroad bike they look good on the show room but it ain't long and they look like hell.

Oh and a question, is there a MX # plate meant for the 2011 bikes? I swap back and forth between a headlight and MX plate so I need to rig something. Thinking of using the older DE MC plates from past years if there is nothing specific or even from a different brand that fits like it was made for the bike.

I think its a huge 1 up over KTM that these bikes come with the headlight and spark arrestor. Please express that we want to keep them as standard equipment!

Roscoe


__________________

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 12-22-2010, 04:58 PM
gasser's Avatar
gasser gasser is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cookeville, TN
Posts: 1,350
Default

Biggest single change I would like to see is a 3 gallon gas tank. I don't like carrying oil for an all day ride. The KTM guys I ride with do fine with their 2.9 gallon tanks but I always had to add fuel at the lunch stop to keep from running out. I now run the clarke 3.2 tank and don't hit reserve on the longer rides so 2.8 - 3.0 gallons would be large enough.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-22-2010, 05:18 PM
Clay's Avatar
Clay Clay is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by REVERUP View Post
Hey Clay I know its early on and you cant make everyone happy but thought I would mention a couple simple things that shouldn't add any cost to the msrp that I would like to see changed on the US standard model E start bikes.

Please can the factory lose the key switch for a button like a Yamaha WR. Location of key switch also makes Mx number plate mounting impossible without relocation.Ya its kind of cool to be able to take the key out for added security but its also kind of a worry.

Also change the gigantic dual sport handlebar switch set up for the E start and kill switch for a smaller design, or just have 2 separate buttons, a kill switch and a start button like most enduro models. When you cut the bars down things get tight in a hurry if your running enduro equipment with that behemoth.
The brake light sensor plug ins can also go. funny there even there as they aren't plugged in to anything and they don't include a tail light. If the bikes become road legal in the future or are easily made so, then I can understand including.

Black rims suck on an offroad bike they look good on the show room but it ain't long and they look like hell.

Oh and a question, is there a MX # plate meant for the 2011 bikes? I swap back and forth between a headlight and MX plate so I need to rig something. Thinking of using the older DE MC plates from past years if there is nothing specific or even from a different brand that fits like it was made for the bike.

I think its a huge 1 up over KTM that these bikes come with the headlight and spark arrestor. Please express that we want to keep them as standard equipment!

Roscoe

Roscoe,
I agree on the key. It's on my list.
I'm getting mixed reaction to the "big switc". Racers hate it. Dual sport guys like it. Same with the brake light sensors.
I understand the black rim comment but have you looked at the 2011 KTM with silver rims? It looks really dull to me.
The Euros don't get the number plate thing. it's on my list for next year.
I totally agree on the headlight and SA.
Thanks for the comments!
Clay
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Clay's Avatar
Clay Clay is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser View Post
Biggest single change I would like to see is a 3 gallon gas tank. I don't like carrying oil for an all day ride. The KTM guys I ride with do fine with their 2.9 gallon tanks but I always had to add fuel at the lunch stop to keep from running out. I now run the clarke 3.2 tank and don't hit reserve on the longer rides so 2.8 - 3.0 gallons would be large enough.
I hear you brother!
How's the grandbaby?
Clay
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-22-2010, 07:58 PM
REVERUP's Avatar
REVERUP REVERUP is offline
Gold Level Site Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bonney Lake, Washington USA
Posts: 1,269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
I understand the black rim comment but have you looked at the 2011 KTM with silver rims? It looks really dull to me.
Clay
Yep I've seen em. But I'm the wrong guy to ask. I think everything on a KTM looks really dull.

I'm older so my ideas may not be what today's generation wants. Cause I certainly have noticed all the rage to the younger generation these days is black rims on cars n trucks and Bikes.
Roscoe
__________________

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-22-2010, 09:14 PM
skid jackson skid jackson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NH, USA
Posts: 1,057
Default

The brake light sensor plug ins can also go.

not sure what you are talking about here but ...I need a rear brake light to make my bikes street legal. Usually you have to add an aftermarket hydraulic switch to the rear brake. If the gasser already comes with one in place ... so its a simple plug and play ...... thats a selling point for anyone riding enduros or turkey runs.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-22-2010, 09:45 PM
iajim iajim is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 150
Default Black rims

I agree w/ Reverup on the black rims. I'll take function over fashion any day. One aspect worth noting is that black rims seem to "hide" small dings and dents. I'd rather be able to just glance at the rim & see if there are any irregularities. I would really like to see the mudless rims again. My '02 xc300 had those. Just a few random thoughts.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-22-2010, 09:57 PM
REVERUP's Avatar
REVERUP REVERUP is offline
Gold Level Site Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bonney Lake, Washington USA
Posts: 1,269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid jackson View Post
The brake light sensor plug ins can also go.

not sure what you are talking about here but ...I need a rear brake light to make my bikes street legal. Usually you have to add an aftermarket hydraulic switch to the rear brake. If the gasser already comes with one in place ... so its a simple plug and play ...... thats a selling point for anyone riding enduros or turkey runs.
Hey skid I understand everyone has their needs, and don't want to screw the majority out of usable equipment if the majority need it. Thats why the title says somethings I'd like to see, and that you cant please everyone.
If you can get a plate for one of these you are one of the lucky ones. We don't need plates for enduros over here on the left coast and frankly they probably won't street legal these bikes here again ever. The only way will be if Gas Gas are EPA and DOT approved street legal. They have been revoking previously qualified plates here for some time now.

Not sure how plug and play this is, the front brake light sensor isn't connected to any plug it was just dangling behind the headlight. My 2004 on the other hand was a true Ec and came with the brake light, blinkers, horn, and parking light all in working order.

Roscoe
__________________

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-22-2010, 10:02 PM
GMP's Avatar
GMP GMP is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jefferson Twp., NJ
Posts: 7,597
Default

In addition to that said:

Redesign the brake pedal pivot for strength and longevity (I have). The 8mm bolt and short shoulder sleeve do not hold up to NJ stick farms.

Add mounting points to the frame for skid plate and rad guards/braces (rear mount). I realize this would be a first, but it would make the aftermarkets job easier as well as routine service. I know the real Nambo 275 factory bike Boomer had was setup like this, very nice.

Stronger rims that hold up to rocks better, at least on the Race models, and rim locks that you don't have to toss.

Perhaps gear the bikes a bit lower for the US, at least the 250s and 200s.

Like was said in the other thread, suspension specs that are closer for the target US rider. Back in the old days the bikes beat KTMs by a mile in this respect. While most serious guys like us revalve anyway, the entry level guy may not have the coin and it would be a big selling point.

Basically anything you can do to bring the bike as close as possible to "race ready" out of the crate, while still being cost effective at the factory.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-22-2010, 10:18 PM
Boomhauer's Avatar
Boomhauer Boomhauer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 920
Default

It is funny you bring up my old bike Glenn.

The upper shock bolt had the nut welded to the frame and many other fasteners. This made quick work of removing the shock and yes the skid plate mounts were also welded to the frame from the factory. I ended up cutting mine off since I went to the hyde combe prior to the re-powder coating.

This might be something Clay could to talk to the factory about. The downside would be that everyone would have to run the same skid plate.
__________________
Bikeless for Now
Thanks to Smith's Powersports 724-899-3375
www.smithspowersports.com
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Small bike and ATV ban. Ud_luz General Discussions & Announcements 22 05-04-2009 01:06 PM
Cyl/Head o-rings why so small Treesmacker Enduro Engine - 2 stroke 9 02-19-2009 11:09 PM
2008 EC300 for small rider BULTACOBRIS Enduro Suspension 4 12-14-2008 07:52 AM
07 GG300EC - small hole at btm. of engine? g dirt Enduro Engine - 2 stroke 4 02-26-2008 05:48 AM




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2009 - GasGasRider.org