Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:37 PM

Default EC300 convert to dualsport?

Can it be done? Will I just be torturing myself? I currently have a 2005 EC300 set up for single track, and it works really well for me. I have a KTM 640ADV for dualsport/adventure, but recently got a WeeStrom for the longer "adventure" type rides. I found that a lot of the rides are pavement, and the Weestrom works much better for that. So the KTM is for sale and I will need a dualsport/trail bike. The obvious choice is a Suzuki DRZ400 or Yamaha WR250R but they each weigh over 300 lb which will limit my solo trail riding. I'm also looking at 250f's and 400/450f's (KTM or Beta). In that case I might not even 'need' the Gasgas.

But what about using the Gasgas for dualsport? I would be using it as a scout vehicle for our RV, doing dualsport group rides, and running into town for beer and ice. And of course trail rides.

The good
- I've already got it and it isn't worth much
- Very light weight - easy to get on and off a hitch carrier.
- Very good on trails
- It is street licensed and street equipment can be added

The bad
- Noisey and vibrates (comfort and bad neighbor)
- Close ratio gearbox limits highway speed
- Low fuel range - about 75 miles
- Would need to carry oil and mix at the gas pump in the tank
- No luggage capacity
- Doesn't like to cruise at a fixed rpm

Anybody have experience dealing with some of these issues? Can the noise be reduced substantially with a new silencer and maybe some sound damping on the skid plate? Maybe an auto-clutch would allow higher gearing and still retain trail capability? I can always carry a backpack to solve the luggage issue.

And finally are there any tuning tricks that would improve the constant rpm cruising?

Anybody have any good ideas or experience to share?

Old 09-29-2011, 06:35 PM

The only time I wish I was riding a 4-stroke is when I have to come out of the woods. I avoid it like the plague.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally View Post
Can it be done? Will I just be torturing myself? I currently have a 2005 EC300 set up for single track, and it works really well for me. I have a KTM 640ADV for dualsport/adventure, but recently got a WeeStrom for the longer "adventure" type rides. I found that a lot of the rides are pavement, and the Weestrom works much better for that. So the KTM is for sale and I will need a dualsport/trail bike. The obvious choice is a Suzuki DRZ400 or Yamaha WR250R but they each weigh over 300 lb which will limit my solo trail riding. I'm also looking at 250f's and 400/450f's (KTM or Beta). In that case I might not even 'need' the Gasgas.

But what about using the Gasgas for dualsport? I would be using it as a scout vehicle for our RV, doing dualsport group rides, and running into town for beer and ice. And of course trail rides.

The good
- I've already got it and it isn't worth much
- Very light weight - easy to get on and off a hitch carrier.
- Very good on trails
- It is street licensed and street equipment can be added

The bad
- Noisey and vibrates (comfort and bad neighbor)
- Close ratio gearbox limits highway speed
- Low fuel range - about 75 miles
- Would need to carry oil and mix at the gas pump in the tank
- No luggage capacity
- Doesn't like to cruise at a fixed rpm

Anybody have experience dealing with some of these issues? Can the noise be reduced substantially with a new silencer and maybe some sound damping on the skid plate? Maybe an auto-clutch would allow higher gearing and still retain trail capability? I can always carry a backpack to solve the luggage issue.

And finally are there any tuning tricks that would improve the constant rpm cruising?

Anybody have any good ideas or experience to share?
The 300 makes a great dualsport if you ride more single track and woods than you do highway. I rode my 300 on some 150 mile days in Colorado and didn't want for a 4stroke at all. One day was 25 miles nonstop of pavement and roughly 100 miles of (high speed) jeep roads.
Suggestions: (1)Send head and carb to RB Designs for more power everywhere and 250 type over rev on top and probably 10% better gas mileage. (2)Get a baby's bottle for carrying oil - They are durable, seal well, and marked in ounces. If you mix your oil/gas using full ounces it makes mixing at the pump easy. Two ounces per gallon is 64/1, three ounces per gallon is 43/1, and 4 ounces per is 32/1. (3) Pirelli MT 43 rear tire (run 20-22psi on the road and drop to 8-12 for offroad). (4) do a search on this forum for aftermarket seats - there was one on here that was a lot wider at the middle and rear.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:21 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default Kinda

Mine is plated but I only really go on the pavement to connect trail.

Stock gearing I peg out at 50 mph....... My wife's 200 only goes 40 which makes the highway a little sketchy
2007 Beta Rev 3 270
2007 KTM 200 XC Wife's

Public Lands belong to the Public
Old 09-29-2011, 11:48 PM

The squish and carb mods sound good, especially the fuel mileage part. I have Dunlop trials tires on now and love them, the MT43 also sounds good.

I like the idea of blasting down the highway and leaving a blue cloud behind!
Old 09-30-2011, 09:14 PM

I just got a plate and tabes through '15 on my DE300 here in Oregon! It was a miracle!

I was thinking of doing the same with mine, but with just an occassional dualsport event with no hwy use. I wouldnt hesitate to hit country roads and endless logging roads.

I totally agree on the MT-43. Works amazing on and off road. I ran it exclusively off road for 3 seasons and it works great.

RB does great work, and you will gain a bit on mileage, but this is not a necessity. A well jetted bike works fine.

You could add a Clarke tank for some extra range.

Just tanks offers fuel bladders that work really well. You can carry then on your tank or out back on the fender.

Making a rear fender rack is something I have considered for carrying all of the extras.

It would be no where near as comfortable as your 640, but would work and could be really fun.

I have been looking for turn signals and a horn for mine to make mine "more legal looking".

Keep us updated. I would be interested in your progress and impressions
Old 09-30-2011, 10:54 PM

I couldn't get used to riding past a police officer on the street with the ring-ding-ding sound and a small blue cloud emitting from the rear of the bike. It just seems so rogue!!
Old 10-01-2011, 12:53 AM

Thanks for all the great ideas! Keep'em coming. Any ideas on noise? I saw a thread on modifying a Stealth silencer to fit the 2005 and also the dBsilencer. Also read that quieting the exhaust doesn't kill all the noise. One area that KTM seems to be better than Gasgas is noise - what else can be done to silence the Gasgas?
Old 10-01-2011, 06:00 PM

I've used the DB silencer and it works fairly well. The Q4 by FMF for 2-stokes is supposed to do a great job as well.

The issue with the 2-stroke noise is the pinging sound make in the pipe not so much the noise coming out the silencer.

No way to really get rid of that, but a Q4 or DB would help.

Have you decided what turn signals you are going to use? SAR has some very nice set ups they make.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:53 PM

I haven't totally researched it, but I don't think I need turn signals for daytime riding. If I put some on they would have to be tough and low profile