Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 03-10-2019, 08:05 PM

Default 2018 XC - diagnosing electrical issue

I have a 240 CCA antigravity battery, new cables, reflashed CDI, ground points are all sanded to bare metal.
This video is my bike trying to start when cold...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmI8-sBmjXE

While I am riding the bike I kill it in neutral and immediately try to estart and it will not start. Now with it warm it will just spin continuously but not turn over the motor.

After kick starting the bike I measure the battery while the bike is running and it?s only 13.05 volts. The same voltage as when the bike isn?t running. Could this be related to the flywheel update that I?ve read about?

I have checked all electric connections they are all tight and dielectric greased.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:12 PM

Default e-starting

you need a new starter. I had the same problem and tried a new starter, now it has been all good.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martg View Post
you need a new starter. I had the same problem and tried a new starter, now it has been all good.
Is there a way I can verify it is the starter? If I bench test it, I know it?s going to spin since it spins when the bike is warm. So bench testing it won?t tell me anything. If I buy a new starter won?t I be replacing it with the exact same starter? Was there a batch of bad starters getting sent out on these bikes? I?m not doubting that it fixed your situation, I?m just tired of chasing this problem and spending hundreds of dollars on not fixing it. A new starter is another 200$ and I want to be sure that it will actually fix it instead of guessing some more if I?m going to spend that kind of money.
I haven?t read about any more scenarios where the starter itself was bad, but flywheels and bearings I have heard a few things about.

What exactly will GasGas cover under recall with this bike? I am out of the warranty deadline. Will they fix it since it?s a known issue?
Old 03-10-2019, 10:03 PM

pull the starter motor out and see how hard it is to turn the gear inside the ignition cover with your finger.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:27 AM

There is another thread on here about badly machined flywheel covers that don't line up the starter drive gear with the ring gear on the flywheel. This was specifically on the 18 models and were replaced by the manufacturer.

Have a check around on recent posts and, if I remember correctly, there is a method described to assess the issue on your cover. There is also a bearing in there that may need lube or replacing.

As far as the battery voltage is concerned, if the bike has been laid up for any length of time, the battery has either lost some charge or needs some exercise to bring it back up to full capacity.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudolfHucker View Post
There is another thread on here about badly machined flywheel covers that don't line up the starter drive gear with the ring gear on the flywheel. This was specifically on the 18 models and were replaced by the manufacturer.

Have a check around on recent posts and, if I remember correctly, there is a method described to assess the issue on your cover. There is also a bearing in there that may need lube or replacing.

As far as the battery voltage is concerned, if the bike has been laid up for any length of time, the battery has either lost some charge or needs some exercise to bring it back up to full capacity.
I did read something about a bendix cover. Is this the cover you are referring to?
Also that battery in the video is brand new. That video is the first time ever trying to start with that battery
Old 03-11-2019, 01:21 PM

Yes, that's the one.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:23 PM

"Now with it warm it will just spin continuously but not turn over the motor."

can you flesh out what this statement means? It's vague. Hopefully articulating it a little more accurately will help someone get you sorted out.

For example:
Does it mean that you are experiencing what is going on in your video if you kill the bike after it has been warmed up? (slow, high resistance cranking)

Does it mean the starter spins continuously in free wheel and isn't engaging the flywheel or cranking the motor at all?

Does it mean that the motor continually cranks over via the starter but makes no attempt to fire?

What was you starting voltage on that battery? Was the video your peak voltage or did you start recording after a failed attempt or 2 to start it?
Your battery voltage isn't recovering like I'd expect a fresh, fully charged AG to.

What squish did RKtech cut that head to? Probably only matters if you asked him for something wild vs what he normally offers.

One last question, is this a new or possibly worsened condition after you have had the flywheel cover off?
Old 03-12-2019, 05:37 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzhitshard View Post
"Now with it warm it will just spin continuously but not turn over the motor."

can you flesh out what this statement means? It's vague. Hopefully articulating it a little more accurately will help someone get you sorted out.

For example:
Does it mean that you are experiencing what is going on in your video if you kill the bike after it has been warmed up? (slow, high resistance cranking)

Does it mean the starter spins continuously in free wheel and isn't engaging the flywheel or cranking the motor at all?

Does it mean that the motor continually cranks over via the starter but makes no attempt to fire?

What was you starting voltage on that battery? Was the video your peak voltage or did you start recording after a failed attempt or 2 to start it?
Your battery voltage isn't recovering like I'd expect a fresh, fully charged AG to.

What squish did RKtech cut that head to? Probably only matters if you asked him for something wild vs what he normally offers.

One last question, is this a new or possibly worsened condition after you have had the flywheel cover off?
So what is happening when it is warm is the starter spins continuously in free wheel and isnt engaging the motor at all. I didn?t ask for a specific squish from RK, I just told him about my bike, we talked about jetting, and he sent me the head. I have not taken off any covers yet. I have the gaskets in case it comes to that. I called the dealer I bought the bike from and he said he never heard of any of these issues but he is going to contact GasGas and get back to me ASAP so I?m hoping he gets me sorted out.
The starting voltage on that battery was 13.08. The video is the very first start attempt on that battery. Last summer I had a 210 amp battery and I got one cold start out of it. After that I think I maybe got one for two warm restarts out of it. This was when the battery was brand new. After the first few ride on that battery it wasn?t able to even restart, just like I?m experiencing now. After calling dealers I was convinced I needed a stronger battery which I figured might fix it since GG did reccomed this 240 amp battery in the tech bulletin
Old 03-12-2019, 09:29 PM

Default e-starting

My dealer let me take a starter off the late model 18 that was on his showroom floor to try. the late model 18 starter had a different part number on it.
after bolting the new starter on, the bike started right up and has been working flawlessly.