Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

We do have a good amount of technical single track. Rocks aren't much of an issue. There are some rocks, but not like the East Coast, where there is only rocks and roots with only bits of dirt slung in between.

When Alberta gets snowed in, PM me and we'll plan a ride.

OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs

Old 09-12-2010, 12:48 PM

The ice racing here is basically limited to Kold Cuttter type screws, not the unlimited type spikes. That is very popular in Russia. I've done it once and ridden a few more times. You don't even need a good bike, just a fast rat with good tires.

Some of the guys here ride all winter with friction spikes, but you need snow/ice to cover the rocks or you trash your high $$ tires. My friend just got a stud gun so maybe I'll try some home brew tires.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:13 PM

ya WTEC on the forum got a stud gun last year and good studs(not car studs) and did a pretty good job of the tires he did but rubber is very different for winter and you gotta choose the right style or forget it theyll last one ride(in snow,not rocks or un frozen ground). we went threw about 6 different tire manufacturers and brands before we found a suitable tire and compound that wont tear in the cold and hold up well for those sections without heavy snow or ice. like i said before the t-454 winter friction studded from trelleborg is 100% the best option just cost so damn much we wanted to look for an alternative. the only reason why i got these ones was my wifes rich boss bought 4 sets of them and hates winter riding so i bought them off him for 1/6 the cost!!!
Old 09-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Some of the guys here ride all winter with friction spikes, but you need snow/ice to cover the rocks or you trash your high $$ tires. My friend just got a stud gun so maybe I'll try some home brew tires.
Definitely a better way to go then my first attempt with metal screws.

We also found if you dip the studs in an adhesive like 3M™ Scotch-Weld™ Instant Adhesive CA100 They don't rip out as quickly. Still a lot of work.
If you make up two sets it's better (one for you and one for your buddy) Cuz you really need two sets of hands. One gluing and one running the gun.

I would say a minimum 2 each beers per tire.
07 TXT 280
77 TY175
Old 09-12-2010, 06:42 PM

ya they use some sort of primer they dip the stud in first then the contact cement each hole then stud gun it. it does take 2 for sure to go smooth and i know for a fact it takes atleast 2 beers per tire
Old 09-12-2010, 06:57 PM

thanks for the offer mike its always nice to have a guide to show us there area! when were all snowed in this winter will talk more and figure something out for sure!
Old 09-13-2010, 02:38 AM

Here in Southern Finland we have snow about four months each year. Winter/snow enduro is almost as great as "summer enduro". At least I don't need to wash my Gasser after training session. It only needs warm place to melt the ice and snow that grabs into it

When it hurts you know you're allive!

Gas Gas EC 300 Factory Racing 2012
- Ohlins TTX both front and rear
- Rekluse Core EXP 2.0 + Rekluse clutch basket
- Scalvini full exhaust system
- S3 Head
- Trusty adjustable PV cover

That was ultimate setup for me...
Now trying something else for a while...
Old 10-12-2011, 12:20 PM

Default These Work Great

www.gripstuds.com

These are legit. I've run 'em year round on Snow, rocks, mud, dirt and logs.