Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Other Bikes... > All Other Bikes...

All Other Bikes... KTM, Husky, VOR, Husaberg & Hondayamazuki...

Old 10-21-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser View Post
There is one thing the new Ossa and the Freeride will have in common - both will feel underpowered when ridden at trail speeds.
Until fairly recently I'm guessing more harescrambles were won on XR250's than any other bike ever made. They put out even less horsepower than the Freeride.

It's really quite annoying when some old guy with work boots and jeans riding an old XR blows right by you at a race. Yes, we do have that old guy.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:17 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ud_luz View Post

It's really quite annoying when some old guy with work boots and jeans riding an old XR blows right by you at a race. Yes, we do have that old guy.
hah, we got one of those too!

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 10-22-2011, 06:56 AM

Apples & oranges? I don't think so.
KTM is saying it's a light weight play bike. Although it may be lighter than their other 4-strokes, I wouldn't call it light. The term "entry-level" would also lead me to believe it's less-expensive than a "ready to race" bike. I'll bet it's not significantly cheaper though.
The Ossa is a light weight play bike, regardless of how it will be marketed. Serious trials riders will not consider it a trials bike, even though it is obviously
based on one.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:39 AM

We have a guy that runs an old xr200 and sometimes a 250.. would keep up and out ride everybody on our toughest trails.. worst part is the big down trees that the trails go around.. he would just go up, hop up and over..would piss everbody off.. then he went and got a ktm 200exc.. now he was very fast on it.. but not ever as good in the tight rocky technical stuff like he was on his xr's.. couldnt do the big 3-4' diameter trees without looping the ktm.. but we loved watching him try on the ktm.. there is a lot to say about a mild power bike..
My 04 450 is set up to feel softer,, and its way tamer than my buddies husky 450.. I can ride it much faster(and so can he) on the same trail as his bike.. still want a GG 250 back tho..
03 KTM 625 sxc-rehab unit-did its job and now gone
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone
Old 10-22-2011, 10:34 PM

When comparing anything to a Pampera, be aware that there are different versions of Pamperas. The originals were very much like trials bikes. My wife's '02 is basically a super light EC with a trials motor and lower seat height. It has many light duty trials bike components like the wheels, but it is a woods bike platform, and even uses EC plastic. While it is light duty compared to an EC, it certainly adequate for casual trail riding. Its not a race bike, you just have to take it for what it is. Next spring hers will be ten years old, and she would never sell it. Even has an NJ plate.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:02 PM

trying to decide which bike would make a better tight single track moutain bike for my wife (novice). A 200 ktm lowered with auto clutch @ 208lbs or a pampera. what does a 2005 pampera 280 weight 225 lbs ? how much should a good used one cost,what about parts or resale value in future.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:51 AM

hard to find faults in those ktm 200's that are older than 2006 with the smaller frame, I keep one with a rekluse just for that
Old 03-07-2012, 10:56 PM

Not much lately on this thread. I'm not too familiar with Pamperas other than pics of them, but isn't KTM's Freeride more comparable to the Scorpa T-Ride? I'm even thinking they sort of stole the name.

I didn't know until recently that KTM had a non-electric Freeride model. Now I'm seeing all kinds of advertising on it making it sound like they invented the concept. To me this harkens back to 2007 when KTM's street legal enduros were plastered all over the rag covers making it sound like they invented the idea. The year before Husqvarna debuted their street legal model range over in Hancock, NY. The first modern combo enduro/trials/play bike I'm aware of is the Scorpa T-Ride, which I assume the Feeride is copied after. I'm sort of ranting on KTM more than anything else I guess and this thread gave me a good excuse.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:26 AM

My wife's Pampera is light, fun, but too fragile for serious use at anything over slow technical trail speeds. If I had the time, $$, and wife's permission, I'm sure I could fix that by making it more like a true EC with more EC components and beefing up the frame. What I think would be a cool bike, for serious trail riding and slower more technical racing, would be a version of their side valve 4stroke in an slightly lower (older) EC frame with basic suspension (Zoke/Sachs). That would be the GasGas answer to the KTM. Think about that, it would be easy to make the motor both light and reliable because your not going for big power. Even make it street legal but easily stripped. If you could sell it around the world and make a million it would be cheap too. Makes more business sense than a 4stroke trials bike. Maybe its time.