Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:55 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Decided to hook a battery directly to headlight through the plug and it was bright. This bypassed the junction where the wires all head back to the airbox.

What I don't know is what to check next, the wiring is different than our other bike - the white wire feeds into another junction and doesn't directly follow the ground into the same junction?

How do I figure out if the issue is with the wires heading back to the airbox?

Old 06-07-2015, 06:06 PM

Ahh...replying to my own posts...lol.

Traced the %#}{]^ power back to the block that attaches to the frame (not sure what this is?). Discovered that the purple wire isn't power...doh.

I put power at that block and the light was bright, this was with ground into the junction. If I'm thinking this right, does that tell me that my power lines are good? If that's true, does that mean I have a ground issue somewhere? So I'd need to tap into the ground line in the airbox?

FARG
Old 06-08-2015, 10:21 AM

Time to learn how to read a wiring diagram. Can you find the wiring diagram for your bike? You haven't told us what year machine it is.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil E. View Post
Time to learn how to read a wiring diagram. Can you find the wiring diagram for your bike? You haven't told us what year machine it is.
Sorry, it's an '11 EC200.

I checked the wiring diagram in the user manual - might as well have been reading Chinese If it featured an image of the bike and relative locations, I'm sure I could decipher it, but a bunch of lines going different places isn't a huge help to this hack.

I traced the headlight power line back to a little block that's attached to the frame under the gas tank. I think I traced the ground back to the airbox - at least it was a yellow wire with green stripe.

There's a yellow wire coming out of that little block - is this where power for the headlight originates? When I put 12v power through that line, the headlight was bright (with ground attached to the junction).

This leads me to believe that there's an issue in the ground somewhere between the junction and back to the airbox (assuming I followed the line correctly). Does that sound logical? An additional thought - is it possible that the bike, when running, isn't putting out enough power to make the headlight as bright as it should be?

And I thought doing the top end was going to be rough...lol.

Thanks in advance Neil - really appreciate your input & assistance
Old 06-08-2015, 04:13 PM

Does it have estart or is it kick only? Big difference in the wiring.

What does it have for a headlight switch?
Old 06-08-2015, 05:04 PM

The 200EC Racing Owner's Manual does not have a wiring diagram so I downloaded the EC200 Sixdays Owner's Manual to get the wiring diagram.
(http://www.gasgasmotos.es/en/manuals/models-2-2011.html)

It shows the 2K3 ignition. Look at the large circle with "G" in it. That is the stator. It has two wires coming out, white and yellow. You will notice that the white wire (which is drawn as black so it shows on the white page) is not connected to anything. Thus the yellow wire is your AC power for all lighting. The other side of the circuit is frame ground which is on the yellow/green wire.

The yellow wire goes to junction U1, and branches out to multiple places. We only care that it goes to the headlight switch. AC power comes out of the headlight switch on white (32) for LO and blue (31) for HI beam. Power for the city light and tail light is on purple (22). Other side of the circuit is yellow/green (ground).

The other thing we care about is the voltage regulator, see wire (6) yellow going to it. It is a black block usually mounted by the coil. The second wire on the regulator connects to frame ground. You are not blowing lights so the regulator is probably good.

Start by unhooking the stator wires. Connect a test lead from the yellow stator wire to an old 12V light bulb and ground the body of the bulb. Start the bike and rev it up. The bulb should burn out very soon. If it does the stator is probably OK.

So your dim headlight will be a result of a bad connection:
1) broken strands in the three wires that go to the headlight bulb (flexing at the headstock from turning the bars)
2) broken wire anywhere along the yellow wires that go from the stator to the switch
3) bad ground point on the yellow/green wires or poor engine to frame ground (paint insulating the engine mounts, loose engine bolts etc.)
4) water in the wiring or switch (shorts power to ground)

Follow the diagram, all the information you need is there. Ask if the symbols don't make sense. You've got to do some careful jumpering to bypass parts of the existing wiring to find the problem.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I traced the headlight power line back to a little block that's attached to the frame under the gas tank. There's a yellow wire coming out of that little block - is this where power for the headlight originates? When I put 12v power through that line, the headlight was bright (with ground attached to the junction).
>>> power originates at the stator, the regulator just clips excess voltage

Quote:
I think I traced the ground back to the airbox - at least it was a yellow wire with green stripe. This leads me to believe that there's an issue in the ground somewhere between the junction and back to the airbox.
>>> the ground is important, it's the "other side" of the circuit

Quote:
An additional thought - is it possible that the bike, when running, isn't putting out enough power to make the headlight as bright as it should be?
>>> possible but not likely unless it was damaged during the rebuild
Old 06-08-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
So your dim headlight will be a result of a bad connection:
1) broken strands in the three wires that go to the headlight bulb (flexing at the headstock from turning the bars)
2) broken wire anywhere along the yellow wires that go from the stator to the switch
3) bad ground point on the yellow/green wires or poor engine to frame ground (paint insulating the engine mounts, loose engine bolts etc.)
4) water in the wiring or switch (shorts power to ground)

Follow the diagram, all the information you need is there. Ask if the symbols don't make sense. You've got to do some careful jumpering to bypass parts of the existing wiring to find the problem.
This is awesome, thanks for the in depth explanation of what goes where and how to read that wiring diagram - that's huge .

I won't have a chance to test things again until this weekend, but my plan is to focus on the ground line from the airbox forward. I will also test the stator; as I believe testing the line from the regulator forward proved that all those lines are good (this as all done with the ground connection at what I believe is 3 on the diagram).

If I have this process accurate, all the power lines from the regulator forward worked as the headlight was bright when I connected the 12V battery - does that sound correct?

I didn't connect the ground from the battery to the connection point in the airbox, but wish I would have as that might have isolated the issue.

Given what I've tested so far, there might be an issue with the power line coming out of the stator that goes to the regulator as I haven't tested that link, or there's an issue from that #3 connector back to the airbox. So I'm using the correct words - what's the box that a bunch of wires connect to inside the airbox?

Thanks again for all the pointers and help Neil - it's truly appreciated
Old 06-08-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Does it have estart or is it kick only? Big difference in the wiring.

What does it have for a headlight switch?

Oh yeah, to answer this set of questions, it's kick only (though you probably figured that out with the wiring diagram...lol).

The headlight bulb only has two wires going to it; it doesn't have another wire for the low beam (at least, that's what I assume the 3rd wire would be for). The switch has three settings, but the light only illuminates in the "middle" position (all the way down is off). It looks exactly like the switch n_green used in his sticky thread:

I'll have to get some pictures and post those so it's a bit easier to understand my non-technical description too - I'm sure that isn't helping things along.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:14 AM

I assume the headlight switch has been replaced so you may have to look at how it's connected if you can't find the problem somewhere else. The "thing" in the air box with all the wires is your CDI. If the bike runs, don't mess with it. It is shown at the top center of the wiring diagram.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sixdays wiring.jpg (127.7 KB, 9 views)