Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 08-16-2014, 03:48 PM

Default All lights blinking EC300 2007 (with pics)

Hi. Just got my new headlight, taillight. Havent had it on before since I bought the bike.

Starts up, new voltage regulator, no battery. Taillight blinks fast, frontlight blinks fast. Voltageregulator earth together with CDI earth to the frame.

Think thats it. Anyone got a suggestion?

Last edited by stian; 08-17-2014 at 10:36 AM.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:21 PM

Haven't heard of this before, but it sounds like you are seeing AC voltage sine waves. Does it blink faster (change in frequency) when you increase revs? This would be more evident with LED lights compared to incandescent lights. Is it a stock voltage regulator or an aftermarket full wave regulator/rectifier?
Old 08-16-2014, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

+1

Make sure the voltage regulator is for A/C voltage.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil E. View Post
Haven't heard of this before, but it sounds like you are seeing AC voltage sine waves. Does it blink faster (change in frequency) when you increase revs? This would be more evident with LED lights compared to incandescent lights. Is it a stock voltage regulator or an aftermarket full wave regulator/rectifier?
Its stock GasGas, Bought at GasGas store. its a 12V AC (thats what it says on it)
Its flickering in any RPM. no more or less at any.

Both the taillight,headlight and also, the light switch that should light green when headlight is on is blinking. Trailtech Vapor also flickering very.

Called a buddy of mine, he told me to check the power that comes from the stator/engine, before the voltage reg. Guessing it should give 14,3v or something? Ive got a multimeter, but dont know how to use it. Its got VAC,ADC,VDC, ohm and "bat."

Its kinda funny, because ive got so little knowledge about electrics.

Questions;
1) White wire, what is it for?
2) Yellow wire, what is it for?
3) Anyone see anything that should go where?

Last edited by stian; 08-17-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:13 PM

Your signature says 2007 EC300 so you likely have the 2K3 stator. Your bike would typically not have a battery, so the white wire from the stator is unused (and should be left disconnected). The yellow wire is AC voltage output from the stator. It connects to all your lighting components through various switches. It also connects to the voltage regulator to limit the peak voltage.

Look around the wiring and make sure only the green/yellow wires are grounded (chassis/engine ground). Check the quality of the ground connections and be sure the ground points are bare metal. One test you could try is to unhook the voltage regulator and see what happens. Warm the bike up first and ONLY have it idling when you unhook it. Do the lights stop flashing? Don't rev the engine or you will burn out bulbs.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Your signature says 2007 EC300 so you likely have the 2K3 stator. Your bike would typically not have a battery, so the white wire from the stator is unused (and should be left disconnected). The yellow wire is AC voltage output from the stator. It connects to all your lighting components through various switches. It also connects to the voltage regulator to limit the peak voltage.

Look around the wiring and make sure only the green/yellow wires are grounded (chassis/engine ground). Check the quality of the ground connections and be sure the ground points are bare metal. One test you could try is to unhook the voltage regulator and see what happens. Warm the bike up first and ONLY have it idling when you unhook it. Do the lights stop flashing? Don't rev the engine or you will burn out bulbs.
The engine should have a ground from the case, and the other ground is the coil.

I just replaced my old voltage regulator with a new one. It sits in the same bolts as the coil, and has the same ground spot. It also connects with a yellow wire.

As stated, there are two yellow wires. I am going complete insane soon... haha!

Old 08-17-2014, 02:17 PM

I haven't got much to add here, but the basic bike wiring diagram (non-estart) shows that the regulator black wire is grounded. So make sure the black wire has a nice clean connection to the frame.

To recap, your yellow stator wire carries varying ac voltage depending on RPM. The regulator simply clips the peak voltage when it rises above ~13VAC and it does this via the black wire to ground.

Do not assume that grounding takes place through the regulator case. It is just a mounting point. I can't suggest anything other than a better way to test things. I would unhook your stator yellow wire and connect it ONLY to the yellow wire on your regulator AND a 12V bulb. Other side of the bulb grounded. Start the bike and see what happens. If the bulb works without flashing, then the problem is somewhere else in the wiring.

Add in other yellow wires (like the one to the headlight switch) and check each time you add one. Without much electrical experience this is hard to do. You basically have to open the harness and unhook all the yellow wires from their junction point. Try adding them to your circuit one at a time.

If this is too difficult, you need to take it to a dealer and have it checked out further. That's all I can suggest.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:

I would unhook your stator yellow wire and connect it ONLY to the yellow wire on your regulator AND a 12V bulb. Other side of the bulb grounded. Start the bike and see what happens. If the bulb works without flashing, then the problem is somewhere else in the wiring.

Ok. Is there any difference between Current electric regulator, and Voltage regulator?
Cause this is the one I got http://www.motocrosscenter.com/ecomm...ducts_id=60656

Also I have this laying around http://trialstribulations.net/index....roducts_id=699

Last edited by stian; 08-17-2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:10 PM

No difference, just how things are translated (or referred to). That is the correct part for what you want to do (AC lighting hookup).
Old 08-17-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
No difference, just how things are translated (or referred to). That is the correct part for what you want to do (AC lighting hookup).
You seem to be the electro-guy in here, and im qouting you from another thread:

"Ground = yellow/green wire at ALL places where it connects. You could have a poor ground at various locations. Easy way to check is to jumper from the yellow/green wire at your headlight to any bare chassis point. If your headlight is bright, you know it's a ground issue."

Since im all green in this, care to explain? Now the yellow/green wire is at the front, at the back. The only ground wire ive got, is the coil to the frame, and the Voltage Regulator to the frame.

No other ground wire. Only 2 places.