Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 11-12-2016, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil E. View Post
Assuming the yellow r/r wires are the INPUT to the r/r, then one of them MUST be grounded (other r/r yellow wire goes to the stator white wire). It's the only way whereby the r/r will be connected to the stator output.
And now i just understand everything (i think). But if i resolder the stator ground then i can use DC in the whole system and ground all lights to frame.
Is that right?

But with the connection (yellows r/r cable is INPUT) grounded yellow wire, can i still ground the AC lights in frame?

Old 11-12-2016, 12:56 PM

You are missing the point. Nothing has to be grounded if that's what you want to do. The only system that MUST have a ground is an estart bike because of the starter motor. An estart bike must have battery minus tied to ground in order to power the starting motor.

Since you haven't said your machine has estart, I have given you information regarding a regular kickstart bike. All lighting is grounded and you only use voltage regulation. A stock estart machine is different. It has both sides of the system grounded based on halfwave rectification.

As soon as you use an aftermarket fullwave rectifier, you MUST take grounding into account.

If you want to keep your AC lighting grounded, then any fullwave DC you create must be floating (isolated). In this case your battery has no ground connection. The r/r output is not grounded and your DC lighting is not grounded.

If you want to ground your DC voltage, then the stator ground has to be lifted. This means your AC lighting has to be ungrounded. It can only connect to the stator yellow plus the lifted wire. So now your AC voltage is totally separate from the engine and frame. All load wires that were previous grounded must be disconnected from the frame and attached to the lifted wire. This means every connection point. Any wire that is not modified will result in problems. Since this is more work, everyone will recommend that you float (isolate) the DC power.
Old 11-12-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
You are missing the point. Nothing has to be grounded if that's what you want to do. The only system that MUST have a ground is an estart bike because of the starter motor. An estart bike must have battery minus tied to ground in order to power the starting motor.

Since you haven't said your machine has estart, I have given you information regarding a regular kickstart bike. All lighting is grounded and you only use voltage regulation. A stock estart machine is different. It has both sides of the system grounded based on halfwave rectification.

As soon as you use an aftermarket fullwave rectifier, you MUST take grounding into account.

If you want to keep your AC lighting grounded, then any fullwave DC you create must be floating (isolated). In this case your battery has no ground connection. The r/r output is not grounded and your DC lighting is not grounded.

If you want to ground your DC voltage, then the stator ground has to be lifted. This means your AC lighting has to be ungrounded. It can only connect to the stator yellow plus the lifted wire. So now your AC voltage is totally separate from the engine and frame. All load wires that were previous grounded must be disconnected from the frame and attached to the lifted wire. This means every connection point. Any wire that is not modified will result in problems. Since this is more work, everyone will recommend that you float (isolate) the DC power.
Im so bad at express my self in english.
I understand that i have to float the DC ground. But i don't understand why i have to ground the second yellow wire or if i just can let hang loose?
I don't like 12v electrical
Old 11-12-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppito View Post
But if i resolder the stator ground then i can use DC in the whole system and ground all lights to frame.
WRONG, the stator cannot be grounded if your fullwave DC voltage is grounded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppito View Post
But with the connection (yellows r/r cable is INPUT) grounded yellow wire, can i still ground the AC lights in frame?
Yes, only if your DC voltage is floating (isolated).
Old 11-12-2016, 01:16 PM

If you are floating the r/r output DC ground, then the stator and your AC lighting should be grounded. This is simplest because the stock bike already has the stator and AC lighting grounded.
Old 11-12-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
If you are floating the r/r output DC ground, then the stator and your AC lighting should be grounded. This is simplest because the stock bike already has the stator and AC lighting grounded.
Ok! Then i will connect my new R/R like the bike was wired when i bought it.

Thanks for all help Neil 👍😊😊😊