Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Group Ride. Durhamtown. April 23rd - 27th '14

Anyone in for a group ride? Let's put faces to our screen names.
We have riders from Texas to Florida attending.

Date: April 23rd-27th 2014.

+ Cabins -http://www.durhamtown.com/Cabin.htm
+ Cabins have heat and air, full baths, comfortable beds and covered porches.

+ Deposits are required at time of reservation

+ Cancelations prior to 14 days of arrival are free, within 14 days you lose your deposit.

+ Riding fees for 3 days is around $100 per person

Old 12-18-2013, 06:42 PM

Edit: Never-mind, I rebooted my phone and see it is in Ga. I'll have to see if I can make the trip.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Union Point, GA 30669 .

Looks like lots to do there.

+150 MILES OF TRAILS
+40 MILES OF SINGLE TRACK
+TRAILS ARE ONE WAY
+6 MX TRACKS
+1 BEGINNER PEEWEE TRACK(8yrs & Younger)
+1 BEGINNER PEEWEE Youth Track (12yrs & Younger)
+ 1/4-1/8 MILE FLAT TRACK
+DIRT DRAG STRIP
+UTV TRACK
+FREESTYLE PARK (Requires Approval)
+MUD DRAG PIT
+FULLY STOCKED PRO SHOP
+4 SERVICE BAYS
+RENTAL DEPARTMENT
+ATV/Dirt Bike/UTV Storage
+EMT STAFF on WEEKENDS
+Grand Prix/Baja Style Track
+New Side x Side Race Course with Double Lanes
Old 12-18-2013, 06:52 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

That looks interesting. located in Ga. Anyone been there before?
Old 12-20-2013, 11:10 AM

Perfect timing.
I am organizing a mid Feb run south and have been told Highland Park has the better riding but Durhamtown looks to have more area and most important cabins with indoor plumbing.
Durhamtown looks far more quadneck friendly and I am concerned of just having rutted out quad trails to run....that would be a huge fail.
We don't need "AA" single track to run (plenty of that here in the frozen north) but some flowing single track would make the drive south worth the effort.
Our crew is mostly a Gas Gas bunch so sort of a mini Gas Gas gathering wherever we go.
Anyone with trail experience at Durhamtown please post up or some links to youtube would be great.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:57 AM

I have been to Highland several times and it offers some awesome singletrack. I have'nt been to Durhamtown but I have read some of the reviews of the place. From what I understand, if you know where to go to find the singletrack there is some there but like Boom Boom says it is a bit more quad friendly.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:21 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

The last time I went to Durhamtown (about a year ago) I was a little disappointed. The facilities are great - lots of cabins available, bike wash area, NICE store, etc. The only thing I personally care about though is single track trail and it wasn't great. It seems to cater to everyone from MX to freestyle to snorkeled, lifted 4X4 quads. Nothing wrong with that but I don't need the variety myself. I did find some good trails before I left but they were barely marked and needed some work. I'm sure there is some good stuff in there if you have the time to find it or a local to ride with. Back in 2000 or 2001 I rode an enduro there that was awesome if that gives you an idea of the size of the place.

Having said all that I like Highland Park (been several times) much better. The only negative would be that if you have a really big group meeting up there is only about five cabins there available (and they all share a separate building with bathrooms & showers). Trails are well marked (one-way) and maintained. They are all numbered and branch off of a main perimeter loop. Trails are all rated with a diamond system ranging from one to six diamonds. Around 40 trails total ranging from easy ATV wide stuff to trials bike fun. There is a large KTM dealer on site and the focus of the park reflects what your typical KTM buyer/owner would want to ride - single track trail for all skill levels plus a couple MX tracks too.

If you organized a ride at Durhamtown everyone would probably have a great time. Some of you are a long drive away though and I can tell you this: I'm less than 3 hours from Durhamtown and 5+ from Highland Park and if I got a phone call today from one of my friends going to Durhamtown this weekend I would probably pass and ride at home but if they were riding at Highland Park I would most likely start loading the GasGas before I hung up the phone.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:13 AM

I'll add this to my calender for next year. If anyone wants to stretch this out with another ride on the way I'm sure we could come up with some local guides for Coal Creek (near Oak Ridge, TN) or Westpoint, TN (30 miles north of Florence,AL)
Old 12-24-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj7 View Post
The last time I went to Durhamtown (about a year ago) I was a little disappointed. The facilities are great - lots of cabins available, bike wash area, NICE store, etc. The only thing I personally care about though is single track trail and it wasn't great. It seems to cater to everyone from MX to freestyle to snorkeled, lifted 4X4 quads. Nothing wrong with that but I don't need the variety myself. I did find some good trails before I left but they were barely marked and needed some work. I'm sure there is some good stuff in there if you have the time to find it or a local to ride with. Back in 2000 or 2001 I rode an enduro there that was awesome if that gives you an idea of the size of the place.

Having said all that I like Highland Park (been several times) much better. The only negative would be that if you have a really big group meeting up there is only about five cabins there available (and they all share a separate building with bathrooms & showers). Trails are well marked (one-way) and maintained. They are all numbered and branch off of a main perimeter loop. Trails are all rated with a diamond system ranging from one to six diamonds. Around 40 trails total ranging from easy ATV wide stuff to trials bike fun. There is a large KTM dealer on site and the focus of the park reflects what your typical KTM buyer/owner would want to ride - single track trail for all skill levels plus a couple MX tracks too.

If you organized a ride at Durhamtown everyone would probably have a great time. Some of you are a long drive away though and I can tell you this: I'm less than 3 hours from Durhamtown and 5+ from Highland Park and if I got a phone call today from one of my friends going to Durhamtown this weekend I would probably pass and ride at home but if they were riding at Highland Park I would most likely start loading the GasGas before I hung up the phone.
Thanks so much for your comments.
Thinking we will just load up the trials bikes and head to TN / AL for a few days of riding.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the opinions on the different riding spots.

I don't think our final destination is set in stone.
Highland Park has been getting better reviews on other forums as well.