Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:25 AM

Default Securing a bike in the back of a pickup

I need to get to grips with loading, securing and unloading my bike in the bed of my Silverado.

The bed is 6'6" so I'm assuming it will go in straight.

Any suggestions, how to's and top tips/handy hints gratefully received.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 04-16-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggs View Post
I need to get to grips with loading, securing and unloading my bike in the bed of my Silverado.

The bed is 6'6" so I'm assuming it will go in straight.

Any suggestions, how to's and top tips/handy hints gratefully received.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's unlikely that you'll be able to close the tailgate but you should be able to go straight in. I use a PC Racing fork support to keep from over-compressing the forks, and soft-strap around the bars to a caribiner-equipped set of tiedowns.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 04-16-2014, 10:34 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Kind of a small picture, but just tie the handle bars to the corner rings in the bed of the truck. Make sure the bike is secure, and it's okay if you have to angle the bike a bit to close the tail gate.

If you can, get soft straps (http://www.amazon.com/Soft-Loops-Tie.../dp/B002MYLB1Y) or some way to keep the hooks off of your handle bars. Loop the soft straps around the lowest bend of your bars just outside of the triple tree, and hook the tie down straps into the loops. Then run the tie down straps to the eyes in the corner of your bed. That's it. It should be self evident once you get the bike in there.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:38 AM

The correct length of a 4x4 works as a fork support.
+1 on the soft ties.

If you tie down with the front wheel in a front corner of your bed, you can close the tailgate if you move the bike's rear end over to one side as far as you can.
If it won't quite close, then lift up the rear tire and set a a couple of blocks of wood under the tire.
If the tailgate still won't completely close, you may be able to rout your tailgate support cables so that the tailgate is held up against the bike's rear tire.
Its nice to have the tailgate at least partially closed so you can throw gear in the bed knowing that it wont roll out the back.
Another option is spending for a bed extender rack that keeps everything in with the tailgate down.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:58 AM

I haul mine in an s-10. I put the front wheel in the corner of the bed, tie down using bed rails. Then I can close the gate and not worry about my gear bag, fuel can, ramp etc., sliding out the back. I use a folding ATV ramp since I've had two back surgeries and a bicep surgery I need to be able to easily ride or push the bike into the bed.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:07 AM

I have the Condor Wheel Chock that I use in the back of my truck bed.
The cool thing about these is that once the front wheel is rolled in you can get off the bike and tie it all down without having to stay on the bike to hold it up straight. The stand holds the bike in place w/o falling over and also keeps the front wheel from moving around which is very handy when you might be driving down a forest road bumpy as hell to get to the trail head

http://www.amazon.com/CONDOR-SC1500-...le+wheel+chock
Old 04-16-2014, 12:39 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuJohnson View Post
I have the Condor Wheel Chock that I use in the back of my truck bed.
That's a great idea Stu, do you have it mounted to anything?

Another good concept that my buddy uses is a regular wheel chock mounted to a pressure treated 2x12 cut to fit the width of his truck bed (with enough room so he can pull it out when needed). It won't allow you to get off the bike to secure the tie downs, but it works really well and he can angle the back of the bike to close the gate after it's secured.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2day View Post
That's a great idea Stu, do you have it mounted to anything?

Another good concept that my buddy uses is a regular wheel chock mounted to a pressure treated 2x12 cut to fit the width of his truck bed (with enough room so he can pull it out when needed). It won't allow you to get off the bike to secure the tie downs, but it works really well and he can angle the back of the bike to close the gate after it's secured.
Thanks

That is a very similar to setup to what I have. I will snap a photo of my setup today. You can't make fun as I usually go a few steps too many then what is actually necessary...
Old 04-16-2014, 12:52 PM

Just thought id trow this in the mix..no a pick up I know. .and the red straps are onto the pegs thats only the slack iv tied to the blue strap.. ya and I know the blue straps are a bit on the long side! lol but I refuse to cut good straps. .uploadfromtaptalk1397670404873.jpg
Old 04-16-2014, 01:40 PM

I do not have a pickup but I am using Risk Racing's Lock-n-Load in my van and recommend it wholeheartedly.

Link is here: http://www.riskracing.com/pages/Lock...port_Page.html