Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 10-07-2019, 06:19 AM

Default 2018 starter - oem vs replacement

With the original starter on my 2018 XC I did all of the updates and had the starter working flawlessly. In gear, hot or cold, started every time right away. Well I broke that starter and had to order a new one. It took a while to get here because it was back ordered from the factory. With this new starter I cannot start my bike cold under any circumstance even in neutral. When the bike is warm I can only restart in neutral, but if I wait even a minute to restart, it will not restart. If I am in gear and kill the bike and try to restart instantly with the clutch pulled in, it will not start. Also the starter doesn?t look identical to the oem starter. It is shiny all around whereas the oem starter was not shiny on the ends. Also the housing did not have the lines that are supposed to line up on the starter. Also when this starter arrived it was not spinning the proper direction so I had to rotate it. I?m wondering if I didn?t get some after martlet starter instead of the real thing. Has anybody else experienced this with a new starter?

Old 10-07-2019, 06:45 AM

I would be sending it back. Especially if it rotated in the wrong direction. But check your bendix and reduction gear bearings for smooth movement. What broke on the original starter motor?
Old 10-09-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser Nate View Post
I would be sending it back. Especially if it rotated in the wrong direction. But check your bendix and reduction gear bearings for smooth movement. What broke on the original starter motor?
Everything is moving smoothly. The other starter it was just that terminal that connects to the electrical lead snapped off.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:26 AM

If the terminal snapped off, could a little tack weld fix it back up?
Old 11-02-2019, 03:16 AM

To my knowledge the KTM starter bolts straight on and rotates the opposite direction
Old 01-13-2020, 06:56 AM

Has anybody confirmed that the KTM starter actually fits? I am in Costa Rica and the KTM starter motors are obtainable here. Thanks
2018 GP 300
2013 XC 300 (sold)
2006 DE 300 (buddy has it)
Old 03-19-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen966 View Post
Has anybody confirmed that the KTM starter actually fits? I am in Costa Rica and the KTM starter motors are obtainable here. Thanks
Hello, my name is Jose and I'm from Spain. This is my first message. I own a Gas Gas 300 Enduro GP
About the KTM starter motor... Yes it fits, from 2008 to 2016 (I think) the problem is that it turns in the opposite direction so you have to change the position of the external cylinder to change the spinning direction. Maybe you have visited 2y4t forum, we also speak about this.
There is a problem, the ktm motor is designed to spin in one sense, so when you change it.. it warms more than normal so it wil brake soon. Yesterday I bought the original motor, 130 euros.
Have you got spare parts in your country? Here is Spain we have some problems...
Old 03-20-2020, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseGas25 View Post
Hello, my name is Jose and I'm from Spain. This is my first message. I own a Gas Gas 300 Enduro GP
About the KTM starter motor... Yes it fits, from 2008 to 2016 (I think) the problem is that it turns in the opposite direction so you have to change the position of the external cylinder to change the spinning direction. Maybe you have visited 2y4t forum, we also speak about this.
There is a problem, the ktm motor is designed to spin in one sense, so when you change it.. it warms more than normal so it wil brake soon. Yesterday I bought the original motor, 130 euros.
Have you got spare parts in your country? Here is Spain we have some problems...
problems in Spain, at the source of Gasgas motorcycles?
Old 03-20-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannesd View Post
problems in Spain, at the source of Gasgas motorcycles?
Yes. I dont know if you know but KTM has a JOIN VENTURE with Gas Gas and now Rieju bought the enduro bike, the EC model.
https://www.motorbikemag.es/rieju-enduro-gasgas-2020/
I dont know how is the situation there but here in Spain there are problems to find some original spare parts. Anyway it is coming back to normal, step by step.
Old 03-20-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseGas25 View Post
Yes. I dont know if you know but KTM has a JOIN VENTURE with Gas Gas and now Rieju bought the enduro bike, the EC model.
https://www.motorbikemag.es/rieju-enduro-gasgas-2020/
I dont know how is the situation there but here in Spain there are problems to find some original spare parts. Anyway it is coming back to normal, step by step.
i know of the current situation, still ,you would think dealers still have some parts in stock? apparently not