Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancp5 View Post
Next check the jetting is correct. Dirt bikes often have the jetting messed about with. I'd recommend a CCK needle - look up Pobit's recommendations for the 300 using CCK for smooth power. You will find the 300 a very fast aggressive bike if you're new to dirt. Alternately go with a standard UK setup such as 38P, 178M, N1EF (on 3 or 2). Some US setups do not work here. I think they ride much more open terrain than us.
LoL I wish. I ride the tightest nastiest stuff around.

Right now-

40P
180M
DDK (similar to CCK) in middle clip.

If no one in the UK, try carb parts warehouse here stateside.

http://www.carbparts.com/

Their site kinda sucks, but they have everything for the Carb in the GG.

2003 EC250 w/ Ohlins pkg
Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:36 AM

I recently got mainjet and needle direct from gasgas uk. They cost me £18 for both items, which i thought was good prices.

Regarding your bike, i am no expert by no means I brought my first off road bike last April time its a GG EC250 1998.

I think its a fantastic bike excellent for learning on (you only do the wrong thing once!)
Dont let them tell you its the wrong type of bike you learn so much quicker on an unmanagable bike.

The first thing i got sorted was the static and race sag. I had a lot of trouble with the front conventional marzocchi magnum 50s. So i replaced them with a set of 45mm shivers off a 07 bike courtesy of spdfrek from this web site, who posted them from US. It dramatically changed the handling of the bike.

With regards to protection i always wear knee protection alongside mx boots.
occasionally body armour (depending where i am riding) Shot do some good reasonably priced gear.
I Hit a tree on a practice track in Swaffham Norfolk completely wiped my knee and right leg off the bike (bout 30mph) i had already let go of the bars,
with the protection on all i had was grazing where the bars scraped on me side.

I completed one enduro last year which was a real eye opener (lack of fitness) i had been practicing with a mate on a field and thought we were fairly quick. Haha little did we know.
Just recently completed my second enduro which i faired quite well in comparison.
Just looking forward to the next one.

Good luck with the bike i hope it serves you well, you will find lots of info and a lot of helpfull people on this web site, its like one big happy family.

darren
FMF Gnarly
Old 07-19-2009, 02:49 PM

Thanks Darren,
Gasgas uk for jets, now why didnt i think of them i need to get a few other bits from them this week anyhow. Had fun and games with the bike this weekend, all 4 bolts holding the front fender sheared whilst trying to undo them, the last owner must have swung on the bolts. Had to strip the front end down and drill and tap them out! I had a list of jobs to do on the bike but this used up all of my time, at least i got the 4mm tubes in so thats one off the list.
Im really enjoying tinkering at present, but finding things that need addressing all the time, but im getting through them

Brakes next, and looking at the front caliper i cant work out how to get the pads out, im sure something is not right as the 10mm nut once removed will not allow the bolt to be removed, it hasnt an allen head on the other side so im not sure its just a bolt stuck in, marvelllous

Suspension to follow

Pay day next week so all the kit should be bought very soon and im hoping to finally get things started off road
Old 07-21-2009, 01:08 PM

Smile

If you have a nissin front caliper at the bottom you should have a slotted screw , (see pic ) if you remove the screw the pads should slide out of the bottom of the caliper.

If it is a Brembo in the same place they have a pin retained by a R clip, remove the clip and the pin will knock out with a punch towards the wheel, again pads slide out of the bottom.

Just a word of advice if i may. When it comes to bearings for your bike (engine wheels swinging arms head sets) GG uk seemed expensive to me, I got most of my bearings from a company called "Hayley Group plc" http://www.hayley-group.co.uk/

Our local branch are very helpful, most bearings and seals are half the price of Genuine.

cheers
darren
FMF Gnarly
Old 07-22-2009, 12:22 PM

Thanks Darren,

This confirms exactly my thoughts, the slotted pin had been replaced with a bolt and i had to tap it out on the vice. Thankfully the threads are perfect so no damage, i have ordered a new pin and pads from gasgas today so i should be on my way soon. Brakes have been cleaned and checked.

Bearings, top tip, thank you. The only bearings i have checked,cleaned so far are the wheels and headstock, they where a little dirty but no pitting or wear so im assuming they are not very old at all, no need to replace, just clean and re-grease.

Something else i have done today is swap out as many bolts/nuts for new stainless allen type's, looks fresher. I was a little concerned that a drop of oil came out of one hole, the front powervalve cover, when i replaced that bolt. I read that these can get quite messy inside, so im assuming that is ok.

Nearly there
Old 07-23-2009, 04:10 AM

Wow, ordered all the remaining bits i need for the bike at 15:30 yesterday, and a van has just arrived with a big box at 10:40 this morning, now thats what i call good service.

well done gasgas uk