Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 06-30-2016, 04:39 AM

Default brake over heating

my 2009 ec 300 front brake keeps getting too hot ive got new brake line new pads a new disc and swapped out the banjo bolt but the brake still isnt that strong and after a few heavy stops it will start to smoke what can i do about this and its not rubbing it spins freely

Old 06-30-2016, 06:13 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I've had this happen twice on my '01 XC 200.

The first time I found the bleed hole in the bottom of the master cyl was partialy clogged.

The second time, the front brake would start dragging somewhat, but never lock up. It just dragged enough to cause concern and be a PIA.

A couple days ago I dug into it and found that the small spring that fits in the end of the clutch lever and presses against the clutch perch was slightly too long. This prevented the piston in the master cyl from fully returning when the front brake was released. Especially if the brake was being used continually, like on long downhills.

I had rebuilt the front master cyl sometime ago using oem '01 Honda CR 250
parts, which worked well, but apparently that small spring was slightly longer on the Honda.

I just kept cutting off a coil at a time till I had it right. All works like a charm now.

RB
Old 06-30-2016, 08:49 AM

also can someone tell me or show me a picture of the correct way around the little metal clips go in the front caliper i fear i may have them wrong
Old 06-30-2016, 08:50 AM

also what did you do to unclog the small hole in the master cylinder?
Old 06-30-2016, 09:48 AM

You'd be hard pressed to install that clip the wrong way, especially if the pads went in fine. Try a paperclip on the small hole. If you're still concerned maybe take a picture of the clip orientation.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:44 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olliesherman View Post
also what did you do to unclog the small hole in the master cylinder?
I'd use something small made of plastic , or cut a couple strands out of piece of 14 gauge wire. Something that will be small enough to fit, but not gouge the aluminum .

RB