Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:56 PM

Default Help with stuck transmission

I just changed my 250 cylinder out for a 300 and adjusted out the PV freeplay with the right side cover of the bike. The bike was lying on its left side, in Neutral as I recall.

When I went to put the cover back on, everything lined up and seated fine except the lower left corner of the case right under the (removed) brake lever. I tapped gently with my hand and then a rubber mallet (gently!) but the case would not seat. I thought maybe the alignment dowel was not lining up so I removed and realigned repeatedly to no avail.

Finally, it dawned on me that there may have been pressure on the shifter. I repositioned the bike and discovered that sure enough it had been lying with inward and upward pressure directly on the shifter. I then repositioned the bike with the shifter free. The case now seated without incident.

After buttoning up and replaceing coolant, pipe, and kicker, the motor ran great, but I could not run through the gears. The shifter felt floppy, neutral was extremely difficult to find, I could shift between 1st and 2nd OK. THe bike did not want to go to third, but did occasionally. It was like hitting a concrette ceiling to try to go to 4th but when it did, I could not down shift. I stopped the bike and manually shifted to 1st.

Throughout all this, there were no strange noises or grinding sounds. Relatively smooth turning of the gears, just an extreme resistance to shifting from one gear to another. Finally, the shifter just flops at rest between first and second and feels very loose.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?
I suspect that maybe something got deranged by the weight of the bike on the shifter in neutral....could I have damged things further by trying to run it through the gears?

This is a brand new bike and this all happenned on what was to be the break in ride.....this was definitely more than "new bike" notchiness....

Thanks for your ideas

Old 07-05-2011, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Has it got oil in it?

How does it select and engage on the stand when in neutral? You say theres free play on the shift selector. Is it attached to the shaft properly. Is the little circlip still on it?
Old 07-05-2011, 07:09 PM

Bel Ray Gear Saver.

Shifter seems secure to shift shaft but shaft itself seems to be flopping.

It will step between 1st and 2nd on the stand but severly resistes going higher (3rd or 4th....I've never had it higher than 4th)

Thanks
Old 07-05-2011, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

What do you mean flopping?? I just had a look at mine and it easily moves between 1st and 2nd without engaging unless if I "click" it into gear. Coming up the gears I had to rock it back and forward a bit to engage them. This is just cold though and have had no issues while the bike is running except for the usual difficulties finding neutral when you want it, and finding it when you dont

When I let go of the lever there is definite spring tension and it returns back to center.. Does yours?
Old 07-05-2011, 07:26 PM
Site Sponsor

take a look at the shift return spring and shift selector/scorpion setup. i think you pushed the shift shaft too far toward the right (by laying bike on shift shaft with right cover off....) and have dislodged the scorpion/selector mechanism. you're gonna need to remove the pipe and the right cover again.... just lean bike on something about 45 degrees - don't lay it back down on the shifter.. you're gonna lose a small amount of oil.

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 07-05-2011, 07:35 PM

That makes sense as the area that felt it was hanging up the right side case was down by the selector spring/scorpion centerer.

How is the scorpion accessed once the right cover is removed? is it under the clutch assembly or just under the selector spring? Can I simply push the shaft back?

If this is the problem, will I have damaged something by riding it the way I did?

Thanks
Old 07-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Site Sponsor

you may be able weasel it around without removing the clutch. i'm guessing the large return spring popped out of it's home. which you can probably reset without removing clutch. you won't be able to see the selector drum without removing clutch. you may need to remove clutch to get access/assess any possible damage. i seriously doubt you damaged anything. the scorpion just wasn't contacting the pins fully. with clutch removed you will be able to see full actuation of shift assembly.. you may need to turn rear wheel to get it to actually shift when it's laying on it's side...

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com