Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:11 AM

Default Locked up engine

Hi, I rode today and my 02 EC300 locked up after about 40km, thought it was seized, I started it shortly afterwards and engine makes a horrible grinding / crunching sound ? I shut it down straight away!

I pulled the head off and and the bore and piston show no signs of distress, plug is a dark tan colour and radiator was full.

Any pointers before I dig deeper? - note bike may be 2002 model but I have owned it from new and it is still on original chain and sprockets, which are still in good order, so hours are pretty low.

Thanks in advance,

Oldmog

Old 09-18-2011, 12:53 PM

Transmission. My 02 blew up 40 miles from the truck. It made for a long long day
Old 09-18-2011, 02:56 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEB View Post
Transmission. My 02 blew up 40 miles from the truck. It made for a long long day
My thoghts also witnessed a buddies do the same thing zero notice before hand
Old 09-18-2011, 05:02 PM

Any thoughts on what part of the transmission?
Old 09-18-2011, 05:45 PM

2nd gear went on mine taking out a couple others with it. Full rebuild time or buy a replacement.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:22 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Right side main crank bering would be my guess.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:33 AM

MIne's done this twice - on both occasions it was the nut on the right hand side of the crank which came loose.
Just strip it, clean the threads well and use loctite and let it set up before re filling it with oil - mine's been fine since the scond time!
Old 01-05-2012, 10:01 PM

Hi To All,

Thought I would share my findings. It was the main crank bearings that failed. Both were very rough and corroded as were the big end, small end and associated bearings.

This bike has been stored more than it has been ridden, so I can only assume condensation has caused the internal corrosion. Any Ideas on preventing this again would be appreciated?

So now it has all new internals and I deceided to measure the squish, and I am shocked to say it measures 2,5mm. This is with a new Woessner piston and 1 x 0.5mm base gasket. The piston is also higher than the base of the transfer ports by 1mm and higher than the base of the exhaust port by ?2mm.

Any thoughts on the above would be appreciated, as now would be the time to make any reccomended improvements.

Thanks - Harry
Old 01-05-2012, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

Hmm.. If its all back together then theres not alot you can do bar taking it all back apart..

I'd have personally set the exhaust port flush with piston at bdc. Even though thats 2mm of gasket stack (or had a spacer made up). Then you can look at getting the squish measured and reduced, and with that much you'd need a reshape of the bowl aswell.

I'd ride it as is until next time you need to venture in for some work.. Then have the battle plan ready.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:42 AM

The motor is in the bench, so now is the time to strike.