Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:34 AM

Default Dirt Rider (Sept2012) GG300 Article

Mine arrived in the mail box today.

In the DirtBikeMag thread, stainlesscycle gives his impressions of this DirtRider review:

Quote:
just got sept issue of dirt rider - review is pretty bland - doesn't point out any positives - they kinda dwell on the fact that it's sprung soft and lacks midrange(?). didn't touch on handling much, did they even ride it

overall pretty vague review.
The article was comprised of a classic two-page spread. The first page has a full-page photo of a green & blue clad rider astride rearward as the Gasser is brought down a 45 degree angle off a sandstone (or maybe granite) boulder. Under the bike photo in large font were the words, "AGAINST THE GRAIN."

On the top of the second page was "2012 GAS GAS XC300." Below it were three 2x2 photos of the right-side of the seat and number plate, left side of the motor, and a super close up of the brake side of the black swing arm "Racing Gas Gas Factory."

Captions: 1) The chome-moly frame mates to a plastic subframe. Both are plenty durable. 2) THe gas Gas power plant vibrates, but not as much as a KTM 300. 3) Cool components and careful attention to detail. Spaniards have style.

Key points in the body of the article:

1) The ever-unique XC300 features a subframe that has proven to be every bit as durable as a standard steel or aluminum unit.

2) Galfer rotors, Twin Air filter, and heavy-duty tubes all come stock, as does the FMF Q Stealth spark arrestor.

3) The most common remark from first-time Gas Gas riders was that the motorcycle felt exceptionally "normal" and that it wasn't as odd as they'd expected.

4) Aside from a steppy junction between seat and shroud, the ergonomics are comfortable and encourage a naturally aggressive and forward sitting rider position, and the bike fits a wide range of riders, starts easily and positively engages into gear.

5) The stock suspension setting is much to soft for your average American (I'm assuming spring rate). Riders up to approximately 160 pounds will enjoy the stock spring rates, but anything over that and the lack of damping causes the suspension to blow through the stroke.

6) Shock damping is good initially, but once past the mid-stroke it gets fairly soft, a handling weakness that becomes apparent in long, choppy straights.

7) The Ohlins shock lacks a high-speed compression adjuster. We found that the PFP (floating piston in the fork) which affects pressure in the cartridge was a fun setting to mess with, and ended up liking around three-quarters of a turn from stock.

8) The XC300 maintains stability at high speeds and doesn't feel like it's begging for a stabilizer, though in slow sections the early engaging steering stops seemed out of place on a bike with so much trials DNA.

9) Our test bike came jetted way to rich. For California altitude and temps, a leaner needle position and main jet dramatically improved throttle response and overall excitement.

10) Once jetted, the power pours on smoothly and lugs extremely well in lower RPM ranges while the top end comes to life in a strong burst that doesn't mind being revved out.

11) The hitch is the mid-range: The XC300 vibrates a lot while transitioning from low to top end, and pulling performance suffers when you're not either lugging it or keeping the revs up. As one rider put it, the power will "jump the midrange" and fall off on momentum-robbing hill climbs and deep soil sections that might require a downshift. We're sure the aftermarket would be happy to tune that out.

12) Gear spacing is decent and the hydraulic clutch has a nice feel and predictable engagement point.

13) A growing number of shops in the States are committed to helping the brand.

14) The XC300 is a solid machine, and those of you who don't like to follow the herd and aren't scared of a little fine-tuning may find yourself loading up a Gas Gas when you go to buy your next bike.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:01 AM

It wasn't a bad review but I didn't get the "jumps the midrange" deal. My 2010 GG 300 jumped in the midrange not over or through it. Maybe the jetting they used needed a little tweeking . In the compairson they stated you get e-start with a KTM but failed to mention you can get the E-start on the GG too. Overall not too bad but I was hoping for a lot more. They did the quick ride/review/write up; very bland report on the handling for sure.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:13 AM

I think it's a needle taper issue on the "mid-range jump."

Here's a quote block that I missed:

Quote:
Having ridden the Gas Gas back to back with KTM's 2012 300 XC-W, we found that the KTM's more linear powerband and increased torque in the midrange help make it a better overall package.

The orange bike tends to vibrate a little more overall, but its stock suspension is more versatile than the softly sprung Gas Gas.

The bikes were evenly matched on high-speed handling with the Gas Gas less loos and more stable in the front than the Katoom.
Back-to-back comparisons also reveal how handy KTM's electric-start button is, along with its friendlier kickstand.

Seat Height 37.4"
Footpeg Height 16.4"
Ground Clearance 13.0"
Fuel Capacity 2.9gal
Curb Weight (Full) 258 lbs

MSRP $8,349. e-start + $200
Old 07-20-2012, 10:39 AM
Site Sponsor

Yeah, very vague article. The last KTM 300 I rode was the bike without a midrange compared to the GG so I don't know where that comment comes from. It's good to see a Gasser in a magazine once in a while though.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Banned

Don't forget to read page 12, "knucklehead move of the month!"
Old 07-20-2012, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

At the end of the day I figure any bike will need some engine tweaking and suspension work to make it perfect. Some just get closer out of the box. For me GG vs KTM its all about the chasis and general confidence inspiring feel. The Gasser offers it, and the KTM doesn't. A frame/chasis isn't something you can change easily.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
At the end of the day I figure any bike will need some engine tweaking and suspension work to make it perfect. Some just get closer out of the box. For me GG vs KTM its all about the chasis and general confidence inspiring feel. The Gasser offers it, and the KTM doesn't. A frame/chasis isn't something you can change easily.

I own both and both needed jetting and suspension work. The gasser is much more forgiving in the suspension department. Even with the "right" springs for my ktm, it is still very set-up sensative and will toss you if you don't have it right. The gasser never did that, even with crappy 45mm zokes, wrong springs etc.

The gasser is WAY easier to jet too, I have no idea why, both are 300's. The gasser engine is better, but the ktm makes better low end power. The fit, finish and refinement is better on the ktm but I think the gasser is catching up. My biggest beef(2011) is the lower chain roller and kickstand tab made out of horrible cast crapola. Either way both bikes are great and I am GLAD I own a GasGas, can't wait to fit a pair of my wp forks and brembo brakes on it too!

cheers
jz

PS- article is CRAP!
Old 07-20-2012, 05:48 PM

First, I'll compliment both Dirt Rider and Dirt Bike staffs for even *attempting* to do some minor jetting before commensing with the testing.

The Dirt Bike guys where very happy with just dropping the needle, citing "smooth" power throught the RPM range.

The Dirt Rider guys took it a step further and changed a main jet. Above average effort for a rushed magazine testing crew.

However, the Dirt Rider guys wrote as if since their efforts failed to address a mid-range issue (too lean? too rich?) that the motor lacks mid-range power. That's a very strange point for a group of dirt bike journalists to make. For me, I'm guessing a leaner taper would probably do the trick. Anybody else care to guess? Heck, and we're not even "experts."

A friend had a brand-new 2011 KTM300 last summer. We were breaking it in on his cul-de-sac. It ran like poo off-idle to mid-range, but if you were able to get it's burbling motor on the pipe, the beast ripped? We re-jetted richer (worse) then leaner (better), leaner (better) and then ran out of pilot and main jets. He had to get a JD jetting kit and use a leaner needle. Problem solved. Rips from off-idle to sign-off.

But, it was Phoenix in the summer (100+) and 1,500 feet. I can't really blame the guys in Austria or Spain for something easily fixable like that.

A second all-too typical magazine scenario is to have a 210 test rider jaunt around some rocks on a bike sprung for a 160-pounder and then claim that they blow through the mid-stroke, when they were probably sitting near the mid-stroke to begin with.

That's partly the magazine's fault, but really, shouldn't Gas Gas send them three sets of springs with the demo bike? Standard, big boy, and Big Boy?
Old 07-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRickD View Post
First, I'll compliment both Dirt Rider and Dirt Bike staffs for even *attempting* to do some minor jetting before commensing with the testing.

The Dirt Bike guys where very happy with just dropping the needle, citing "smooth" power throught the RPM range.

The Dirt Rider guys took it a step further and changed a main jet. Above average effort for a rushed magazine testing crew.

However, the Dirt Rider guys wrote as if since their efforts failed to address a mid-range issue (too lean? too rich?) that the motor lacks mid-range power. That's a very strange point for a group of dirt bike journalists to make. For me, I'm guessing a leaner taper would probably do the trick. Anybody else care to guess? Heck, and we're not even "experts."

A friend had a brand-new 2011 KTM300 last summer. We were breaking it in on his cul-de-sac. It ran like poo off-idle to mid-range, but if you were able to get it's burbling motor on the pipe, the beast ripped? We re-jetted richer (worse) then leaner (better), leaner (better) and then ran out of pilot and main jets. He had to get a JD jetting kit and use a leaner needle. Problem solved. Rips from off-idle to sign-off.

But, it was Phoenix in the summer (100+) and 1,500 feet. I can't really blame the guys in Austria or Spain for something easily fixable like that.

A second all-too typical magazine scenario is to have a 210 test rider jaunt around some rocks on a bike sprung for a 160-pounder and then claim that they blow through the mid-stroke, when they were probably sitting near the mid-stroke to begin with.

That's partly the magazine's fault, but really, shouldn't Gas Gas send them three sets of springs with the demo bike? Standard, big boy, and Big Boy?
I warned them ahead of time that the bike was sprung soft and asked them if I could send springs. They told me they wanted to test it "stock".
Old 07-20-2012, 06:48 PM

Good on you, Clay.

They screwed up. You bend over backward, and they shank one.

A potentially informative article turns out to be less so because of their journalist discretion. Bummer.