Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 05-26-2020, 07:25 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

If you are pretty confident the carb is the problem, swap carbs with one of the other bikes to confirm you theory.

Old 05-27-2020, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman View Post
If you are pretty confident the carb is the problem, swap carbs with one of the other bikes to confirm you theory.
I tend to try this, but makes no sense if I can't test ride. I try to get a permission to ride on a private property on Saturday.

If I get the permission and the weather is acceptable, we have LOTS of rain at the moment, I'll come back with what I have found.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannesd View Post
can you do a compression test on the 4 gassers you have?
or maybe even by the feel you can sense a difference in compression on yours?
(still thinking about squish/compression)
I have no compression tester at hand, from what I feel from riding the GP (70 hrs) is strongest, followed by my new one (6 hours). My former EC (100 hours) is the weakest. The fourth bike, an EC 300 isn't mine so I don't want to ride it without the owner being present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Do all bikes have the same part number on the CDI?
My two EC's have the same p/n, the GP of my mate has a different one. The other EC I don't want to touch as it isn't mine.

Just to repeat, we're not talking about a serious problem, the bike runs fine (except the clutch squeaking), starts fine, idles fine and has no hanging idle. It really rips and it pulls way harder than my other EC and almost as good as the GP which is more aggro down low but loses a bit on top.

All I want is to get the fuel consumption improved. I have several possibilities, smaller PJ (currently 42), using a different needle ( I have two identical ones that are just half a clip apart) or just check the float height again.
First step is I will replace the 180 main jet with a 172 (I used on the other bikes) but I doubt it's that though I was going WOT in second and third gear very often...
Old 05-28-2020, 02:25 AM

Yesterday I found a needle/set up recommendation from Jakobi that I copied into my personal jetting file . I tried that and it felt pretty good on a fire road.

I will test hopefully on Saturday if it doesn't rain cats and dogs, then report back.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:22 AM

My yesterdays test was for the birds and though I can say that the NECW works well I expect the NEDW or NECH to be even better.

Spooge is less but I can say nothing about the fuel consumption (yet). Had a hanging idle with the AS 2.25 and later 2 turns out. Stopped at 1.75 turns, So far so good.

Conditions where a drama after 48 hours of rain and on most steeper downhills I was nothing but a passenger. Steep climbs I can do with ease under dry conditions were a nightmare and my bike was lying upside down on a steep slope for at least ten minutes.

So a lot of fuel was spilled. I needed 3 hours for 12 miles, I guess that says it all. But I will, as soon as I get the chance to ride again and the needles arrive from the Netherlands continue my testing.

If I am not happy I can always return back to the very nice setting with the JD_needles. And, I hope that in a few weeks the STIC will arrive :-)
Old 06-01-2020, 08:51 AM

hard to imaging it's raining cats and dogs in Austria and we're having (a Belgian) summer
how come you managed to let your bike lay upside down for so long
Old 06-03-2020, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannesd View Post
hard to imaging it's raining cats and dogs in Austria and we're having (a Belgian) summer
how come you managed to let your bike lay upside down for so long
Yes, the weather is a real drama. Since about three years we have the common April weather in May. Sun shines while it is pouring.... I am pretty sick of all that rain and the low temperatures

Well, the answer is pretty simple. I could not lift it up. It was on the steepest part. I could not even stand there. And it was muddy as fuck. I could not pull it while it was laying on its side as the bars where about 10 inches in the ground... And I was alone because none of the guys wanted to try that climb. Took a while till they came back to rescue me
Old 06-21-2020, 06:09 AM

Update:

Yesterday I could ride my gasser for about 3 hours and the result of the measures (see below) have helped to reduce fuel consumption from over 13 liters for 100kms to 9 liters. That means one tank should last for slightly over 100kms (62mls).
I can live with that. Spooge is too much still but I see no way to reduce it.

Changes I made:
NECW in clip 3
40 pilot jet instead of 42
GasGas GP cylinder head with 0.25mm less squish.

Bike runs well, had to reduce idle speed and ended at AS slighty less than 2 turns out. Temperature 66F/19C, Altitude 660ft/200m.

Unfortunately I and the bike suffer from a whiskey throttle. While I am waiting for a new handlebar, handlebar screws (bent), handlebar clamps, upper triple clamp, handguards, front and rear fenders I try to get rid of the pain in my body and especially elbow.

Last edited by Doc Brown; 06-23-2020 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:27 AM

Another update.

Rode the bike on more open trails allowing 4th, 5th gear and the fuel consumption was better than last time (see above).

I kept the carb set up. Just opened the air screw a tad (less than 1/4 turn) and raised the idle slightly as the temperatures were pretty high (85F).

Bike used 8,34 liters for 100kms. I am happy with that, so the problem seems to be solved. From almost 13 liters to about 8 is a significant reduction. I am happy now
Old 07-12-2020, 02:25 PM

8.34L/100km is real good, it won't get better then this.
what's your current squish?