Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:51 AM

Smile 2018 EC 300 lost lights and Estart.

Mainly posting in case I have overlooked an obvious issue.

I last rode the bike about 3 weeks ago. Went to get it out last weekend and no estart ( no clicks or anything and the headlight don't work. Battery is fully charged and when it's runni ng the horn and computer work just fine.

I had the tank and seat off and nothing jumped out at me connection wise. Since kicker works I rode it Sunday. As I write this I remember that last time out the estart didn't work first thing but it did every other time I tried it that day.

Before I dig in. I thought I should check here.

Thanks

Old 11-06-2018, 08:29 AM

Check the fuses and starter relay. They are under the opposite side panel to the airbox cover. If the fuse is blown it will be pretty obvious when you hold it up to the light. The second fuse is a spare.

Very possibly a bad connection due to the bike being stood. Check, clean and apply dielectric grease to keep everything corrosion free.

Do the same for the battery connections. The 2018 starter wiring is known to be sub-standard and the components have been uprated for 2019. Your dealer may be able to supply an updated set if your bike is still under warranty. Use vaseline on the battery connections to keep them clean.

The lights run off the same supply as the horn so your problem may be in the light switch. If you have an electrical meter, check the following connections in the swich make:

Lights on dip beam Red to White
Lights on full beam Red to Blue
Starter pressed Yellow/Red to Black/White.
The starter button doesn't feel very positive at the best of times. You may need to push it at different angles on the button to get a contact.

While you have the wiring connector apart to check these, clean and grease as above.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:40 PM

Default Thank You

I will check all that. The starter cables were updated before I took delivery. Worked great all season til now. I suspect the cheesy switch too. Definitely do the dielectric grease as well.

Thanks again 😀
Old 12-13-2018, 05:01 AM

Default Update

Finally got to dig into the issue. Rod had sent me some pics and part #'s of redoing the switch gear on a '17. While they don't translate directly to the 18 as far as wire colors etc go it made for a good plan to copy.

The problem ended up being a broken ( with the help of green corrosion) female terminal in the connector between the multiswitch and main harness. It is anchored to the enduro computer bracket.

There were a lot of connectors on the bike with corrosion starting. Someone suggested going through with dielectric grease before I ever rode it. It has it now.

I had actually bought the switches to eliminate the multi anyway, so I went ahead did it.

Sicass Racing estart/kill switch on the right bar where the stock kill switch was.

Tusk weatherproof 3 pos toggle for headlight mounted on light housing.

Repurposed and moved the stock kill switch for the horn and moved it to the left bar.

Soldered and shrink tubed everything. Also if anyone wants the info for the '17, I will pass it on.

Works nice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5464.JPG (95.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5461.JPG (72.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5465.JPG (85.0 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5460.jpg (53.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5463.jpg (57.8 KB, 51 views)
Old 12-21-2018, 11:37 PM

Glade you solved the issue.
I only lost the e start. It word occasionally if you played with it long enough.
I replaced the switch block with a Honda XR copy and wired the horn in as the starter. Will most likely just hard wire the lot and just fit a start button if this one fails. The other switch is for the fan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A7E9FB12-6D20-49DB-A132-BDE4CCC47BDD.jpg (94.7 KB, 27 views)