Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:30 PM

Default 2012 ISDE Six Days - 2012 Bike Prep Questions

Hi All,

I am heading over to Saxony for the ISDE in a couple weeks, my friend is competing for Team Canada and I am his support person.

We were just going through a bunch of things today, and as he'll be riding a 2012 GG250 (His bike at home is a 2011 EC250), we had a couple questions for those of you riding them now.

The elevation for the racing should be 1200ft ASL and I would imagine up from there, but nothing very high as far as we can tell so far. Temps look to be between 10C and 20-24C during the days.

I run the NECJ/NEDJ needles in my KTM at between 500ft and 4000ft here and they work beautifully. We're going to need to re-jet this rental bike when we get there, and I was just wondering if any of you would have a decent starting point for us to work from?

The ISDE incorporates a lot of long road/double track sections, then very tight and technical Special Stages. It's important the bike is able to wind out on the roads, but not be too rich in the tight stuff.

I would appreciate it if anyone can give us a starting point as we'll only have about three days with the bike before impound.

Also, is there anything that are "must do's" on the bike from new? We're bringing all our own skid plates, bark busters, rad guards, pegs, etc, etc. But are there any little corrections that need to be made? This bike will be run 7-8hrs/day for five of the six days and we need it to be sorted out right from the word "go."

Thanks for the input... I'll be taking plenty of photos and will try to get them up here when I get back.

g

Last edited by Graham; 09-01-2012 at 09:26 PM.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:37 PM

Take some red loctite with you & Loctite the kickstand bolt. It will come out if you don't.

Wire tie the rad shrouds to the rad braces, as they come out of the grommets a bit too easily when in the sticks.

I have about 30 hrs on mine & that's about all I've had to do. Can't help you much with your jetting question, but they are rich out of the box. You may only have to go down 1-2 sizes on the pilot and one or two spots on the needle if temps are below 20c. More so if it's warmer. Probably also depends which carb is on it; the older AS1 or the new one.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3beejay3 View Post
Take some red loctite with you & Loctite the kickstand bolt. It will come out if you don't.

Wire tie the rad shrouds to the rad braces, as they come out of the grommets a bit too easily when in the sticks.

I have about 30 hrs on mine & that's about all I've had to do. Can't help you much with your jetting question, but they are rich out of the box. You may only have to go down 1-2 sizes on the pilot and one or two spots on the needle if temps are below 20c. More so if it's warmer. Probably also depends which carb is on it; the older AS1 or the new one.
All good comments. I'd add a fuel filter to the line to keep tank junk from spoiling your week, some split fuel line or similar to keep the airboot intact where it meets the subframe, saftey wire to keep the plush, stock ProGrips from turning, and a bottle of champagne
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 09-02-2012, 02:22 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

From what I have read here it may be worthwhile servicingthe fork to make sure the oil levels are where they should be
Old 09-02-2012, 05:26 AM
Super Moderator

Jetting wise if you have a day to play during setup take your suzi needles. They seem to work well in the Gassers too.

The W diameter with a 40/42 pilot has been reported to work well in 250's by myself and others, but all that is depending on the actual carb, and slide that you end up with in your bike. These results came with 38mm PWK ASII flat top/shallow bowl models with #7 non notched slides. If it were me I'd almost be taking my own carb, jetting supplies, and forks just to speed up the setup and reduce the amount of variables to deal with. Probably not so easy for you coming from the KTM though. Definitely take any needles you have around H/W/J diameters. N3CJ/N8RH etc along with your suzi ones, and if you have the jd kit thats not a bad fall back plan either.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:50 AM

Bring all the bits you can and then get some advice from the Factory Gas Gas guys on the ground there.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:09 AM

Thanks guys,

Brad's 2011 250 is jetted reasonably for our riding conditions here, but he's not quite as enthusiastic about jetting as I am about it on the Ktm... LOL Between us we have a pretty good selection of needles and I have jets of every conceivable size.

Lots of good stuff there, I will certainly look at the fork fluid levels, that hadn't actually crossed my mind. What is the target level we should be aiming for? He's about 165lbs before gear. It sounds like the 12' forks are a much improved stock version over years past, so I'm hoping after reading some of the posts here that suspension shouldn't require more than a few clicker adjustments to get close.

Grips and such will all be taken care of when we add bark busters and all the rest. He is bringing his own grips, pegs, and other bits, so the bike will be set up as close to what he is used to here. I'm sure after the first 7hr day he'll be plenty used to it!

We'll be putting at least 5hrs on the bike before impound, changing oil, getting the suspension to break in, and just putting some miles on the thing. It will be doused in Locktight too...

Thanks,

g
Old 09-02-2012, 02:12 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

There is a whole 18 pages for you to look at here:
http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/sho...=11075&page=17
Old 09-02-2012, 02:27 PM

I don't ride a 12....but a cool thread non the less. If you can if keep this thread going once u get across the pond, and provide updates.....time permitting.
I think it would be cool follow a club rider through the 6Days....real world stuff.....no fluff tell it how it is.

Good luck.
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 09-02-2012, 02:30 PM

The first thing you should do is remove the cable actuated choke. Just replace it with the standard pull up knob like on the older bikes. If conditions are wet and muddy water and grit can work their way into the cable and eventually the carb, causing a stuck throttle.