Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-12-2020, 05:00 PM
Site Sponsor

Default GasGas Passion

A little history from my side

In the early 2000's the company I was working in Minneapolis for was sold to a large Wisconsin corporation and I had the option to take a 3-month severance or move to Wisconsin. I took the severance and golfed the summer away trying to decide on a passion or career that I would love and remain with me. As a kid there was one thing that held my excitement more football, basketball or baseball and that was dirt bikes! I had missed riding and being around them in my 20's as I tried to figure out life and finances but was determined to figure out something related to motorcycles and fun as a career.

That fall I traveled with Steve Berkner (old racing buddy) to visit the current GasGas importer at the time in Cleveland, Mississippi. I knew who or what GasGas was from reading my motocross and dirt bike mags every year as a kid and seeing pictures of a few of them in the Euro racing articles but didn't really know what we were about to get ourselves involved as we drove down.

I have always been a person that cheers for the underdog, the team that doesn't win but should for pure effort and heart, for the guy or gal giving it their all against the large players, the large financial backed conglomerates. After all, who doesn't love a good story of victory against all the obstacles? It must be why I am a Minnesota Vikings fan.

As we approached Cleveland, we were told via phone that the importer had lost the rights to sell GasGas in the USA but we didn't turn around, we kept going and the owner met us with open arms and warm hospitality despite the news he received that day.

Steve and I talked all night over beers about the possibilities, called the bank back home the next morning to create credit line and proceeded to purchase from the importer all the Hebo clothing, boxes of plastics, and parts along with 4 new/demo GasGas motorcycles and loaded them all in a U-Haul truck for the long drive back to Minneapolis. I instantly sold my WR450 and we unloaded it all into my basement, garage, and anywhere we could find space. My wife thought I was nuts and probably rightfully so.

Skunkwrxnet.com was created and soon we needed to find a retail storefront in order to continue but there was a dealer already in place in Minneapolis and he was not interested in a partnership so we moved the entire thing to Ortonville, MN and started GoFasters Powersports & Marine (Lockheed was a little upset with us on the name "skunkwrx" even though we were referring to the ISDE helmets). We saw 5 different GasGas distributors come and go for enduro while the trials remained somewhat discombobulated as well with a bike importer and a separate parts importer. These guys knew the business and loved trials, but it didn?t lend itself to growth and branding of the overall product line for GasGas. It was difficult to gain any ground on the orange brand or the Japanese at the time with a company so diluted and distorted across America. Too many questions and a lack of clarity for the brand.

The opportunity to finally do things right in North America came with the bankruptcy of GasGas in 2014 and the purchase by Torrot and Black Toro Capital in the fall of 2015. The Torrot managers wanted their own subsidiary in the US and we put the budget together to show them what was possible. We put together an excellent team with knowledge and experience and some young energy thrown in as well. Things grew exceptionally well and sold almost 1000 units in 2018 for GasGas. It was by far the highest unit sales for GasGas ever in the USA and all roads looked promising for more growth, but the managers in Spain were focused on too many different projects and most of all, not in anything "gas" related anymore. The last 18 months have been beyond a struggle to be a part of and to watch as things and very good people go slip away while trying to hold the flag high.

KTM could do great things with the GasGas name, but it will not be GasGas Spain, not the GasGas Spanish friends, nor will it be the GasGas dealers and distributors that have stuck with the brand through so many trials and tribulations. It is no longer the underdog.

It is time to move on and create some new passion's, but I want to thank all involved with GasGas that gave me the opportunity and the memories that will be forever in my mind. It has been a pleasure to wake up every day and think about GasGas and I am very proud of what the entire group accomplished. I have had the privilege of working with some great people as dealers, vendors, racers, and pure GasGas fans over the years. Most of all the employee?s both here and in Spain and the relationships that were created. Too many to mention as I am sure I will forget those that have helped so much along the way to support everything GasGas.

Thank you GasGas and best of wishes.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:58 PM

Nice sentiments Mark. I have been friends with You and Steve and through those times and have seen Gas Gas go through good and bad, mostly bad. I know I was slow to get on board with the brand but when I did, I was hooked. I did the Demo tour for you in "17" and when the first "new generation" bikes came in I was blown away. We demoed the very first 300 at the AMA Vintage days and the response was unbelievable. We ran that bike for 10 hours, non stop, and ran out of gas. Everyone that rode it was equally impressed, from suspension tuners that were there to factory Sherco guys just having fun. When the latest situation happened I was ready to sell my bike out of anger and disgust but I cooled down and you and I spoke about it and I know there are other projects down the road. I was pissed but as I have told you before you are a damn PITBULL never letting go, if you can hang so can I. Thanks for the effort all those years because if you didn't stick with it we never would have kept Gas Gas in the country. Talk later bro, thanks for all the hard work "FIEGS"
Old 05-12-2020, 09:36 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I feel like a 60-Watt bulb in a 100-Watt fixture.

Mark, does this mean that you're leaving CPD? I hope not, but if you are, I wish you the best in as you work to find your passion.

Thanks for everything.

craig
Old 05-12-2020, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

Looks like Mark is closing his chapter with GasGas.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:25 AM

Yes, sounds like he's done with GG but I certainly hope not done with Rieju. They need you Mark!
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 05-13-2020, 03:45 AM

Very interesting read , thank you.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:13 AM

Thanks for sharing Mark, quite the rollercoaster! I had high hopes when the buyout happened & the 18' models. Thanks for your hard work with the GG brand!!
16' Specialized Fatboy trail
02' ZRX 1200r R.I.P.
72' Olds 500ci, Batten Heads, Street/Drag car, former CarCraft magazine centerfold (has-been)
15' TW200
Old 05-13-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nknudsen View Post
Thanks for sharing Mark, quite the rollercoaster! I had high hopes when the buyout happened & the 18' models. Thanks for your hard work with the GG brand!!
Ditto - God bless you Mark
Old 05-13-2020, 06:38 PM

Thank you Mark for all you've done. I wish you luck in your new venture.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1999 GG EC 250 Six Days
1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon
2001 Aprilia Falco
2001 Triumph Speed Triple for my 20 year old
2000 GG XC250 for my 20 year old
2003 Honda Rancher 350 for the wife
Old 07-08-2020, 01:44 PM

Thinking back on this, I may have purchased the first 2 Gas Gas bikes Mark ever sold.....straight out of his Minneapolis garage!

Warren