Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:19 PM

Question 2012 ec300r, send help!!

Hi all, new to the forum and to my gasser, its a 2012 ec300r, picked u up last week and I gotta say I'm pretty disappointed with the power, I was expecting the front to lift when snapping the throttle open in 2nd but so far nothing, its currently done 90hrs and I'm about to do a top end rebuild with a new Athena piston and gaskets but I was wondering if there's anything else I should be looking at? Thanks in advance

Old 05-02-2018, 05:30 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Jetting! Pop open the carb and let us know what you have for settings:
  • Air screw (number of turns to seated)
  • Pilot jet size
  • Main jet size
  • Needle number and clip position
  • Type of fuel (octane, ethanol free, etc) and fuelil ratio

Also provide your riding conditions (altitude and temp), as these two variables will determine success or failure on your path to enlightenment.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

Sure is.

My first place I'd look is the powervalve. Pull the pipe and the right hand side cover and ensure the plate is connected properly. Sometimes the weld breaks and the powervalve flaps around under its own accord severely sapping power.

Next stop I'd pull the carb and give it a nice clean and baseline the jetting specs. If you see an N1EF needle start reading and arm yourself to tune the bike.

90hrs isn't a whole lot of work, especially if its a trail ridden 300.

What gearing is it running?
Old 05-02-2018, 06:23 PM

So I havent pulled the carb yet but apparently I'm running a 172 main, 40 pilot and a NEDJ needle, not sure what clip position, I'm using 98 octane fuel mixed at 50-1 with motul 800 and as for riding conditions, I'd say 0-1600ft altitude and in the 6-28c range as we're just hitting winter now, will probably get down to 0-20c in the middle of it and during summer anywhere from 20-40c,
Edit: gearing is 13-48
Old 05-02-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke.au View Post
So I havent pulled the carb yet but apparently I'm running a 172 main, 40 pilot and a NEDJ needle, not sure what clip position, I'm using 98 octane fuel mixed at 50-1 with motul 800 and as for riding conditions, I'd say 0-1600ft altitude and in the 6-28c range as we're just hitting winter now, will probably get down to 0-20c in the middle of it and during summer anywhere from 20-40c,
Edit: gearing is 13-48

Unless you rev the snot out of your bike, stop using the Motul 800. That stuff has a VERY high flashpoint and doesn’t burn off under normal trail riding conditions. Motul 710 is a much better suited to a typically low reving 300.

Your jetting is in the right ballpark and preceded by lots of GG riders.

I would be checking the power valve as suggested. Something else to look for is a big heavy flywheel weight. Some guys run massive weights which will make the bike rev really slow, making it seem like it has no power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2018, 07:44 PM

Just pulled the right PV cover and it is black and oily in there, would that be from the 800 not burning off? And what am I looking for in there? Do I need to pull the PV assy?
Old 05-02-2018, 08:45 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Always best to clean PV but check movement and slop.
There's a bunch of info on adjusting slop out and disassembly (nyloc nut needs melting) check tech tips on home page plus do search.

Aus pipe should be nickel plated check you don't have a black one which could have cat (that really mullers them)

Pull muffler apart and repack. Sometimes they collapse.

I used to use 800 in my super high revving roadrace bikes. Good stuff. But I find Spectro Gold is fine on the 300. You will always get build up under both covers. Do follow the drain tube on left side. I cable tie it shut and open every so often to drain.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 05-02-2018, 09:54 PM

OK, so far all seems good, I've had a look at the piston through the exhaust and it looks fine, no sign of blow-by etc, I checked the PV actuator and while the engine is off/idling it stays against the stop, opens the tiniest bit on throttle blip but closes as the rpms drop, and I pulled off the flywheel cover to check for weights but there's none on the outside of the flywheel, the flywheel has fp8009 and 1h08 stamped in the side if that's important, so I'm thinking maybe its the gearing? 13-48 does seem a little high and the previous owner said he rode a lot of fire roads,
Old 05-02-2018, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

Most people run around 13-50 as the sweet spot...
Old 05-03-2018, 02:20 PM

Sounds like a severe loss of power you have, hope you're making progress to solving it.

My old 2004 EC300 was running with an extremely/embarrassing worn piston and rings (2mm end gap) and 13/48 sprockets, but it still had no problem pulling up the front wheel in the first 3 or 4 gears.

To be honest next time I change the chain/sprockets I'll be going for 13/50.

Inside the left and right power valve covers it's always dirty, black and oily as there's no real seals between the exhaust port and the cavities behind the covers.

Here's a quick list of things I would check, in order of easiest to check first, I know I'll be repeating what others have suggested...

1. Air filter - Wash it and oil it or replace with new.

2. Try a new spark plug.

3. Restriction in exhaust - Silencer blocked? It's sounds simple but is well worth checking, I've experienced this myself on another 2 stroke and heard of other GasGas owners having problems.

4. Jetting - sounds like your jetting is somewhere close, that's assuming there's no blocked jets, does it rev out clean and crisp?

5. Ignition timing - Check it's set correctly.

6. Power Valve - Jammed in one position or not operating correctly.

Whilst trying to track down a problem I've always found it easiest to change one thing at a time then test ride, rather than making a few different adjustments and wondering which one made the difference!

Good luck, don't give up! Once you find the problem (which will probably be something simple) you be rewarded with a missile of a bike. I wish mine was a 2012 and not a 2004