Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 07-24-2007, 02:55 PM

Default Body Armor

After suffering a huge, baseball sized, bruise to my elbow I have decided it is time for some more protection. I am looking at some "body armor", specifically the Nemisis brand. Anyone have any experience with the body armor type protection. How hot is it? Can I comfortably wear my backpack over it? Any brands to stay away from?

TIA

Paul B

Old 07-24-2007, 03:47 PM

Paul,
I don't have any experience with the Nemisis suit, but I do have the 661 pressure suit. I have used this for alittle over a year and I have been very happy with it. This particular suit does have its faults mainly the zipper and the velcro attachments on the chest guard. I do wear it year around with a camelback. If had it to do over I would spend the extra money for a dainese safety jacket.
j
Old 07-24-2007, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

I'm eye balling this chest protector.
I've seen some great reviews on it.
Has air cells that you pump up, like a life vest.

http://www.rxrprotectnorthamerica.co...tview.asp?p=10
Old 07-24-2007, 06:18 PM

The six six one pressure suit is a very good piece of protective equipment. The only thing is if it get's hot where you live then it sucks. I wear mine during cold & spring time racing. Once it get's hot I go back to the ole roost protector.

I wear a big back pack/hydration system over mine with no problems.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:45 PM

Booms right, I went for a ride Sunday afternoon it was about 97deg, humid with no wind; IT WAS HOT! Gotta Love Oklahoma.
j
Old 07-25-2007, 08:48 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

I recently bought this one:
www.skeletools.com/torso.html

I wore it under my vented jersey for the first time last saturday. Long story short, I had the worst cramping and dehydration since I first started racing enduros 4 years ago. I didn't necessarily feel "hot" while I was riding, but evidently the vest caused me to sweat a bunch more than usual. I stay on top of my hydration too, this was not due to me not taking in the proper amount of fluids in the days leading up to the ride, nor during the ride. I was dissapointed after.

Needless to say, my new vest is now back in it's box with the words "winter time" scribbled on the side.

Girard,
I wouldn't waste my money on that. The ol' standard chest protector is the way I will stay from April through October.

Current ride: 2009 WR450

Previously owned: 12 Gas Gas XC300R, 06 WR450, 06 YZ250, 05 Gas Gas EC250, 05 KTM 450EXC, 02 KX250 w/EG310 kit, 03 YZ250F
Old 07-25-2007, 09:04 AM

Exclamation Troy Lee Designs (Chest & Back Protector)

Check it out! Go to www.troyleedesigns.com

Look under products 2007 bicycle/protection, Descender Protector.

I have personally used the TLD Descender for Motocross and Off-Road racing in the South Central US and have NOT found anything to beat the function and quality of this product, at any price. If you want even more protection look at the TLD Leather Speed Jacket, under 2007 Supermoto Products. Everyone on the Troy Lee Designs Supermoto Team loves this jacket, Period!
[Cajun]

The Troy Lee Designs Descender or Leather Speed Jacket should answer ALL concerns about Overheating, PROTECTION, and backpack use with hydration systems.

Last edited by Cajun; 07-25-2007 at 09:30 AM. Reason: More Information
Old 07-26-2007, 10:02 AM

I have an Alpinestars Bionic protection Jacket and I am very happy with it. I live and ride in the south of Spain where the heat is a big issue in the summer. The netting between the pads allows for reasonble air flow. I am self employed, so good protection is important to me. The only down side is the price but in most cases you get what you pay for.
Regards,
John.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:11 AM

Default protection

I live in PERTH WESTERN AUSTRALIA an use a pressure suit i got off Ebay dont laugh ,it has full ,elbow ,chest,shoulder an full spine guards and is good for riding in summer an have no probs with it being to hot,if it gets to hot to wear i won't be out on my bike anyway.Temps in summer range from a mild 30c to 40c bloody to warm for riding but great for a cold beer in the shade.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:18 AM

I have the Axo Air Cage Pro with integrated adjustable kidney belt, spine protection, elbow guards and chest pads all mounted on a mesh "vest". In winter time where I live in South Africa (-2C - 18C) its keeps you warm while rriding, and in summer (18C - 35C) the sweat on your body is "controlled" by the mesh, and with the wind blowing on you helps keep you cool. For desert riding in summer, I also use a 661 Core Cooler.