Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 08-29-2010, 02:01 PM

Default What about the EC250f?...

I haven't heard much about the Yammie powered 250f in the 4t section. Does anyone have any knowledge of how they are performing? It appears to be a good match up with the fine handling chassis and very potent motor. Any good reviews of the machine? Thanks!

Jimbolaya
06 EC300
Grab life by the bars and twist!

Old 08-29-2010, 05:38 PM

There have been a few reviews elsewhere and they are very positive. There just hasn't been a lot of bikes out there so far.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:41 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I don't see what could be wrong with it. Probably the best 250 four stroke engine on the planet, though Husqvarna might argue with that.. Matched with a far better chassis than Yamaha offers. I'd want one, but it has two too many strokes.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 08-29-2010, 06:44 PM

Husky can argue all they want, but the Yam has the reliability track record to beat. In general if you follow reports on the new Husky you will find it has its problems. The Yam motor is like an HD big twin or 350 Chevy in the sense that there are parts on every corner. I have ridden a couple Yamahas in some slick nasty terrain, and they were easy to ride except for the extra seat height that I was not used to. Yeah I'd love to try the GG250F, I'd also like to know what one weighs ready to go.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Yeah I'd love to try the GG250F, I'd also like to know what one weighs ready to go.
I was told at the dealer show last year that they weighed the new bikes and the pre-production 250f weighed within 2 pounds of the 2010 ec300. Production models have a different gas tank and muffler but probably aren't any heavier. The production bikes also have a hydraulic clutch cable conversion that the bike at the dealer show didn't have.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:04 AM

They tested it over here and it received a bit of criticism. Suspension was still a bit harsh and the motor wasn't setup right. Since that the UK models have been shipping with a different end can. The summary was that it wasn't bad but the actual Yam was better, a little cheaper and KTM have moved 250F on a notch beyond the Yam as well. They thought if you wanted easier to ride and reliability you'd probably buy Yamaha, if you wanted ultimate 250F performance you'd get a KTM. Having borrowed a KTM for a race due to my FSE450 blowing it's fork seals on the trailer I can report the KTM is a cracking little bike. Had I not known I would've thought it was bigger than a 250 the way it went once it started revving.

Having said that I think the Husky TE310 and the KTM 350 when it arrives in enduro trim will be the ideal bikes for UK enduro. Easy to ride but with a tad more torque than a 250F.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:27 AM

I read the same review in TBM.

Basically, sounds like you are better off just getting the Yamaha and setting it up for personal preferences.

I picked up an '07 WR250f this summer for my son, but have been riding it myself. It has all of the free mods and has been "uncorked" and re-jetted. I have been very pleased and completely surprised by its capabilities.

It is a very fine singletrack and tight woods bike. Puts all of its 30 H.P. to the ground and tracks very well. Nice plush suspension and will corner on rails is you push it. If you ride it in the mid-upper revs, it can scoot nicely, even with my 225 lbs. on it.

I may be hooked! But, my son has his eye on it and I will need a new ride soon.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:33 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

That KTM 350 makes me salivate!
I still think I'd take the Gas Gas 250f over the straight Yamaha. The suspension can be tweaked, the engine super easy to dial. The Yamaha chassis can never be made to feel like a Gas Gas. Not that it's bad, it's a great bike, it just doesn't have the USB cable connection to the brain that the Gas Gas has.

It's still a four stroke.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 08-30-2010, 08:57 AM

I have ridden the Gas Gas 250f 2010 model briefly and was pleased with it: enough power, good brakes, good suspension and doesn't scare the shit out of you like a big two stroke. I would recommend such a bike for a beginning enduro/trail rider who doesn't weigh more then 80 kg in full gear. It's a bike which you can buy and don't grow out of it for years. For road use and open trails it's just enough horsepower but for all other riding circumstances fits me perfectly. (with at least 4 cm lowering offcourse since i'm a lightweight shortie )
Old 08-30-2010, 09:09 AM

I look at it this way: The GG250F is more appealing to current GG owners who are curious about a 250F because there is no unknown. You know the chassis and how to set it up, and most of the parts are common with your 2stroke. The motor is highly developed with a big knowledge base. How can you screw this up and make it not work well if your reasonably good at bike setup? Jetting and suspension settings you hear about? Give me a break these are adjustments that any serious rider will address on any bike.

I'd like to add one, or maybe a 125, but not sure I'd like to replace my 250 2stroke which is the gold standard.

I read an early ride report on the new KTM 350 that said it was closer to the 450 side than 250. I also saw and looked one over and its a nice bike for sure.