Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:58 PM

The Rekluse basket works great and gets ride of the clutch squawk. It's a must have piece and should be purchased before the auto clutch IMO. I would have likely have been happy with just the basket. Although the auto clutch works like magic now with the new basket. No X-rings required. Was riding some nasty off chamber hill climbs yesterday and it was like cheating with the Rekluse.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGas View Post
The Rekluse basket works great and gets ride of the clutch squawk. It's a must have piece and should be purchased before the auto clutch IMO. I would have likely have been happy with just the basket. Although the auto clutch works like magic now with the new basket. No X-rings required. Was riding some nasty off chamber hill climbs yesterday and it was like cheating with the Rekluse.

What differences are there between rekluse basket and stock? Any pics? Could a stock basket be modified similar to the rekluse?

If not what are they worth and where do I get one?
Old 09-14-2012, 06:09 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

it feels a little lighter, but it does make a difference in the harmonics. you get them from Rekluse for $230 if I remember correctly. you have to drill the rivits out of your old basket to reuse the gear. it was not a difficult job, don't forget to ping the ends of the screws and loctite. I too had the squawk almost completely disappear.
Breaking more things by 8:00AM than most people break all day.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:52 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

I got my Rekluse basket in & tried it over the w/e. I had to get my friendly local dealer to install it b/c I could not get past the nut holding on the basket, since I don't have a compressor/impact tools & don't want to buy them just to use once every several years. I could not get that joker off even with a clutch-holder thing made like vise grips + a cheater bar on the socket handle. While I was in there I threw in new plates too, even though the 1s I had still looked pretty good.

Result: Problem solved! It's the magic bullet. No more squealing, squawking, grinding or other horrible noises. As an added bonus, the clutch "locks up" a little more positively, although as noted, since I changed more than 1 thing at a time, I can't tell for sure whether that was the basket or the plates.

Thanks for the good advice!

John
Old 01-25-2013, 04:25 PM

This is probably a really dumb question, but can you use the older design clutch in the newer bike? My 01 XC has the best working clutch I've ever used, period.Far better than any KTM I've owned or ridden. I love the feel of the Honda CRF-X clutch, it is a tad lighter in pull than my GG but it overheats much more easily and cools off more slowly. I'll take the predictability of the Gasser anytime. I'm not knocking the KTM or the Honda clutch, both are pretty good but the GasGas is even better.

I just rode last weekend in some of the nastiest technical singletrack anywhere, including Red River where the Last Man Standing was, and my clutch worked perfectly except one time when I made several rookie mistakes and finally overheated the bike until it was steaming for 15 minutes. The clutch still worked ok but just got a bit grabby. As soon as the bike cooled just a little bit the clutch worked fine again. Even seriously overheated I could still modulate the clutch, slip it if needed, etc. Both KTMs I've owned would have also still worked but would have been so grabby they would be like on/off switches. My CRF would have been slipping and unuseable until I cooled it off. I used to carry an extra bottle of water behind the headlight/number plate on the Honda just to pour on the clutch sidecase for those situations to keep the clutch working.