Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid jackson View Post
fergus ....I've got an 06 300 with almost identical set up ....
how is your gas mileage?? Mine sucks. I ride mostly tight technical stuff 1st and 2nd gear.
I haven't tested mine over a 2 or 3 hour period yet. I will try it this weekend and let you know how I fare with the mileage. With the N1EF needle, the bike was very good on gas.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
how is your gas mileage?? Mine sucks. I ride mostly tight technical stuff 1st and 2nd gear.
The gas mileage on my 300s has always sucked, compared to my previous 250, no matter what needle I use. At the Quarry Run the stock tank on my '03 EC300 ran dry at 45.6 miles and gas was at 46.1. Of course most of this can be attributed to the auto-clutch. Prior to installing the auto-clutch on my '01 XC300 I went over 50 miles on the stock tank.

It doesn't really bother me when riding technical trails since we're never more than 5 miles from the truck. From now on, on longer runs, I'll be using my oversize tank. In fact, back in '06, I ran a couple enduros with the oversize tank and didn't even fill up at the gas stop.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:41 PM

Bill, have Ron at RBD cut the head. My '03 250 was a gas hog and this made a noticable improvement.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:59 PM

I haven't really run a full tank dry yet ...I did a one gallon test run .. I figured I'd get about 40 to 45 miles out of a tank. Some local guys think I should be able to get 50 to 60. one of these days I'll find out for sure .. hopefull no pushing involved
Old 08-28-2008, 03:13 AM

Quote:
I haven't really run a full tank dry yet ...I did a one gallon test run .. I figured I'd get about 40 to 45 miles out of a tank. Some local guys think I should be able to get 50 to 60. one of these days I'll find out for sure .. hopefull no pushing involved
Guys - I have been meaning to comment on all the posts I see relating to miles per tank on these bikes. In my opinion, these figures are meaningless. It all depends on the terrain being ridden and the riding style being employed. 1st & 2nd gear tight tracks and climbs are going to empty a tank in very few miles whereas open tracks using 4th 5th and 6th gears will give a good return on fuel. Also, a bike's gearing will affect fuel consumption noticeably.

I judge my bike's consumption on hours running not miles. Its still not accurate but at least it is a more comparable figure to use than miles covered. Up to now, I have been able to get about 3 hours use from a tank of gas before going on to reserve using the N1EF needle. I will test the CCK needle this weekend to see if it is better or worse with regard to consumption.

Fergus
Old 08-28-2008, 07:24 AM

A few observations on increasing fuel efficiency...

1) Float and Jetting – this is the first step. Make sure the float is set correctly. Dial your jetting in so the plug looks good, the engine runs smoothly across the range with good power and throttle response. The tail pipe should have little oily spooge when you are jetted well. The CCK needle is one of the best in my experience for performance and fuel mileage.
2) RB designs head mod. This will reduce the amount of unburned fuel and improve power (primarily low to mid) by improving combustion efficiency.
3) down hills – the PWK carbs will drain fuel out the overflow when you are descending hills steeper than about 30 degrees. I first noticed this when following my oldest son down hills. I set the motorcycle up suspended at a downhill angle and found when the fork tubes were near vertical the carb would drain lots of fuel out the overflow. This is with the float set to spec. This becomes noticeable on long (1/2 mile to 1 mile) steep descents. Minimize your time on the descents and/or shut off the fuel and down hill mountain bike the ride.
4) riding style – maintaining corner speed with a smooth flowing style notably improves efficiency.
5) [for Rekluse users] proper Rekluse set up with TC balls and a low RPM engage point to avoid a lot of low speed slip

On technical trails (like these -http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/recreation/trailbikes/trails.shtml ) I get 30+ mpg riding alone. I ride to maximize cornering speed. I weigh about 270 lb geared up.

I get about 22-25 mpg on the same trails giving my 6 year old son a ride. With him aboard most of the riding is 1st to 3rd gear with the majority of the time in 2nd gear. He weighs about 95 lb geared up. We corner slower and use more fuel accelerating out of corners. There is more clutch slip on uphills giving him a ride. There is also more fuel used due to the added mass. This fuel mileage includes multiple 3-4 mile long climbs from under 2000 ft elevation to nearly 6000 ft elevation.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:36 AM

Doesn't help running 10% ethanol pump premium either.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferguscawley View Post
I haven't tested mine over a 2 or 3 hour period yet. I will try it this weekend and let you know how I fare with the mileage. With the N1EF needle, the bike was very good on gas.
Ok guys - heres my verdict.

Did a 5 hour enduro yesterday on my EC300. 178 MJ, CCK needle, clip 2. Bike was just awesome - great linear power stright off the bottom. Conditions were gnarly, slippy and wet with lots of wheelspin and full power climbs. As an educated guess, my bike used approx 10% more fuel with the CCK needle than with the N1EF needle. We had fuel stops every hour and 40 mins so consumption was nota problem. I used approx 14 or 15 litres of fuel over this time frame under race conditons. Still pretty good in my opinion.

Fergus
Old 10-06-2008, 03:44 PM

Can the CCK work on any capacity. Was wondering if it would work well on my 200?
Old 10-07-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancp5 View Post
Can the CCK work on any capacity. Was wondering if it would work well on my 200?
I checked some threads over on KTM Talk for their 200 and no mention of using the CCK needle. The 300 yes.

Here are the popular choices that seemed to come up the most (and JD needles of course).

CEK, CEL
DCJ, DCK
DDJ, DDK

Not sure if that helps or not but something to think about.

Skidad