Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:06 PM

Lightbulb Improving ergos for Taller Riders

NOT EGOS !!!!

Improving ergonomics for taller riders is the subject I am seeking information on.

My 04 MC seems a tad cramped, and I thought maybe some of the taller riders might have some ideas.

I think I read a long time ago (and I did do a search) about footpegs that actualy lower your foot position a little. I have a set of Pro-Taper Kevin Whindham bars, but would entartain other ideas. I have also read about tall seatfoam, but dont really know if that has much to do with improving the fit for a taller rider.

Now you know what I know, but I think YOU may know more... So, what do ya know ???

Old 02-27-2008, 05:19 PM

www.ptenduro.com offers great bar riser setups,got the under bar mount for my enduro setup and mounts the damper under the bars,raised my bars about 5/8 of an inch,doesnt sound like much but it makes a huge difference in sitting and standing
Old 02-27-2008, 06:29 PM

Dave bring your bike to Reiter or Walker some day. We can meet up and you can try my bike. It has the lowboy pegs and the tall seat foam. Both of them "open" the bike up.

Paul B
Old 02-27-2008, 06:45 PM

Default Thanks PEB...

Where are you from??

I plan to go riding at Walker Valley ORV by Mt. Vernon WA sometime this summer. Is that where you are talking about ?

Where is Reiter ???
Old 02-27-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFRDave View Post
Where are you from??

I plan to go riding at Walker Valley ORV by Mt. Vernon WA sometime this summer. Is that where you are talking about ?

Where is Reiter ???
Reiter (pronounced "Reet - er") is between Goldbar and Index. It's right about here

If we have a "tall riders" meeting in Puget Sound, count me in! I've already ordered the PTEnduro bar risers, but would love to demo some other pegs, bars, and seat configurations.

Actually, I'd love to demo my own darn bike! Hopefully my suspension will be back to me before Friday and I'll be able to ride this weekend for the first "real" time.

-Greg
(in Seattle).
Old 02-27-2008, 10:07 PM

Default Reiter

Is the riding area right at that pointer ?

I would like to find more riding areas to ride in.

I am used to riding in the desert where we ride AROUND THE ROCKS not over them. There are no treen, only sagebrush and we have sand, not roots and rocks and baby-poo mud.
Riding in your area would do a lot for my riding skills.

Have you ever ridden in Sand ??
Old 02-27-2008, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Is the riding area right at that pointer ?
The pointer is pretty much the main staging area. The best thing about Reiter (IMHO) is the location. It's the closest thing to Seattle.

Quote:
I would like to find more riding areas to ride in.
If you're in Richland, I don't know that I'd recommed coming all the way over to Reiter. You'd pass right by other areas that I much prefer: Taneum & Naches areas.

Quote:
I am used to riding in the desert where we ride AROUND THE ROCKS not over them. There are no treen, only sagebrush and we have sand, not roots and rocks and baby-poo mud.
Riding in your area would do a lot for my riding skills.

Have you ever ridden in Sand ??
Rocks, roots and mud (and downed trees and clear-cut stumps). That pretty much sums up most of what I have ridden on the wet side: Reiter, Walker Valley, Tahuya. I'm not complaining -- I find it a blast. I've never ridden sand and would like to try one day, but right now my off-road focus is single track and slower, technical trails. Then when I crash its more of a tip over than something with excess inertia.

Check out this linkfor some videos of a recent race at Reiter. I think it gives a decent perspective.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:24 AM

I'm 6'3" and have fitted risers, higher seat foam and PivotPegz which can be lowered 5mm from standard.

Wouldn't claim it to be perfect but better than standard.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:59 AM

Default Some ideas...

I am 6'3"+ and ride an EC 300... I too find it uncomfortable and difficult to ride in standing or attach position due to my height...

Before you go to bar risers, here are a couple things you might want to try:
  • Rotate your bars forward - David Knight, who is 6'4" does this to gain a little room... it also raises your grips slightly.
  • Install PivotPegs or Fastway Pegs in the lowboy position - I'm going with the Fastways myself.
  • Tall seat foam - there are several sources - Guts Racing is one.
  • Lastly, install bar risers - the problem you can run into with risers is related to changes in geometry... If you install risers that simply raise your bars, you will notice that your bars also move back or closer to you... roxspeedfx.com sells a block riser that moves bars up and either closer or further away, giving you the possiblity of a true vertical-only rise.

I hope this helps.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:47 AM

I got the ProTect sub mount that also moves the bars foward over the fork centerline and really like the way it feels just sitting on the bike, and I'm only 5'9". Havn't ridden it yet but I think it'll be a winner. Everyone is different, but rotating the bars way foward can create problems depending on the bend (sweep), as the ends will turn up. This created pressure points and numb hand/wrist issues for me, so I now pay attention to keep the bars no farther foward than would cause the ends to go out of parellel with the ground.