Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 04-30-2020, 09:25 PM

Default Should I buy it?

Hey guys. I?m a long time Gasgas EC 300 Race owner. I love the bike in every way. I will be keeping this bike forever I would imagine. It does everything I want in the woods.

Now, I?m hunting for the right Road bike, that?s still plenty capable in the woods. Nothing too heavy, and something with decent suspension for the days I?m in town, get a call from the boys that wanna go for a solid rip in the woods, and all that fun stuff.

So, I have an opportunity to buy a mint (seriously mint) 2004 Gasser FSE 450 plated for the road. Has a pipe. Tires are new. All plastic and decals look as they would have new in 2004. The price seems fair. I asked him lots of questions, especially in regards to the e start. He has owned the bike for less than 2 years and says he hasn?t had any issues and it starts fine. Maybe the previous owner already addressed all the e start issues?

One thing he mentioned that I?m not sure if it?s good or bad, it had a top end rebuild done 500 kms (kms not miles as I?m in Canada) ago. I just don?t know if the shop put OEM parts in or some junk parts.

My questions for u guys are:

What issues should I really expect with this particular bike? I know gasser stopped making their own four stroke motors. Am I ganna be buying something that?ll give me a massive headache? Seems like the only real issues I could find online are all electrical related. Seems like the rest of the bike is pretty reliable. But I hate chasing electrical problems. Do u four stroke guys constantly have to repair electrical issues on these? Anything else I should expect? Anything in particular I should be asking the owner? Thanx

Old 05-01-2020, 11:31 AM

The 4T is the red headed stepchild of the entire line. If it was the GG with the Yamaha engine, most would say go for it. Since it has a GG4T engine most will say RUN AWAY.

Original parts are probably non-existant unless a dealer has some secret stash hidden away. The potential electrical problems vastly outweigh any idea of it being a dependable machine.

Some folks have had OK usage so it's a real toss up.
Old 05-01-2020, 03:07 PM

Mines a love hate affair with my 2002 Gas Gas 400 FSE but I have owned it from new hence why I put up with it.

My honest advice is No, don't buy it. I myself are saving up for a new Yamaha WR450 F but I'll still probably keep the Gas Gas and keep my supermoto wheels on it for some local fun.
Old 05-02-2020, 02:02 AM
Super Moderator

I've been riding the brand for nearly as long as I've been riding bikes... Wouldn't recommend a 4T GG to anyone.. Not that they are bad bikes when running, just that you'll go mad when they don't.
Old 05-02-2020, 04:00 AM

I was the workshop manager for a Gasgas dealer when these came out. I wouldn?t touch one with a ten foot pole. Absolute lemon. And we had all the factory tools and recall information from the factory. The later keihin ignition models are slightly better but still have major issues that jap bikes don?t suffer from.
Old 05-02-2020, 04:02 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Why would buy any foul stroke? They just sound farty.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)