Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:34 PM

Default Front bearings

Can anyone give me some tips for changing front wheel bearings? I wanted to get some info on getting the bearings out. I can't seem to figure out how to get the clutch side spacer off or get either of the bearings to budge. Figure I'll need to heat the hub but I still don't know how it all comes apart. Anyone got any pics or suggestions?

Thanks.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:08 PM

Ideally you'd have a bearing removal tool.
If not, you can drift them out with a rod. A long socket extension will work. You should plan on putting in new bearings if going this route, though.
Inside the hub, between the bearings, is a spacer tube. Insert the rod until the end is just short of the opposite bearing and jamb it to the side. It should cock the spacer to the side enough to expose a little bit of the back of the bearing. Seat the rod on that and give it a rap. Then cock the spacer to the opposite side of the bearing and rap it again. Repeat many times until bearing is driven out. Warming the hub may help. I've never tried that, though.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:18 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I did mine this spring. couldn't be easier. Just heat the hub with a hot air blower or torch (with a diffuser) and the bearings will fall right out, or just take a bit of prodding with the drift as explained above. Prior to removing the old bearings, freeze the new ones overnight. while the hub is still hot, you can probably install the new bearings. Use the old bearings to persuade the new ones to drop in.

Heat is way better than just pounding the old bearings out.

blitz
Old 07-02-2008, 09:49 PM

Thanks guys. Got 'em replaced in bout a half hour. Went pretty good. Thanks again.