Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 07-01-2017, 02:28 PM

Default gear fasten spring.What can be used as a replacement

Need a small part for my 2004 fse 450. It's the small spring Listed in the parts manual section Shift cam.It's item 16 and is listed as the gear fasten spring. Most all bikes that use barrel shifters use this type of setup to keep the barrel in place between shifts.

Since most all bikes use this approach looking thru online oem parts, I'm sure I can find a replacement that would work, but that might mean spending hours online looking thru all the brands listed. So far the closest spring to what the GG spring looks like is the one used by the KTM 450.

Anybody else needing this spring found something that could be used?

Thanks, tony

Old 07-01-2017, 03:06 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Not many of us have the 4 strokes. I seem to recall that the motor has some commonality to the suzuki motor. Maybe try and cross reference some microfiche. I may be way off too but thought I would throw it out there.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2017, 08:41 PM

Thanks for the reply. But not a drz part. The cylinder and the heads from the drz will fit but the innards due to six speed vs 5speed are not the same. I assume whoever made the shifting barrel for the 450 also made the spring. Sad part is that the ktm part is almost a fit and its cost is $ 1.38.

Thanks, tony
Old 07-02-2017, 10:31 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_tony View Post
Thanks for the reply. But not a drz part. The cylinder and the heads from the drz will fit but the innards due to six speed vs 5speed are not the same. I assume whoever made the shifting barrel for the 450 also made the spring. Sad part is that the ktm part is almost a fit and its cost is $ 1.38.

Thanks, tony
I ran the part number for the spring (MFS400136034) through the gasgaspartsguy.com online shopping process and it came up as costing $16.88, and didn't say "not available" or "out of stock"; so there is a good chance that it is available.
The reason for the higher cost for the Gas Gas spring vs the KTM spring is the quantity ordered by the GG factory vs the KTM factory.

Good luck in your quest.
and
Good Riding!
Jim
'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/
Old 07-06-2017, 06:53 PM

Thank you Jim.

After pulling a good spring from one of my parts bikes. I didn't want to dis- assemble a complete motor for a one dollar part but I really wanted to see what the original spring looked like. Isoon realized that the spring fractured because the torsion spring used by GG has a 45 degree forced bend at what is supposed to be part of a strait line It fractured right at the bend. So I'll just make my own replacement from an off the shelf 90 degree torsion spring. Seems like they were just designed to fail. Most probably wont fail with normal use but this one came from my plated 450 SuperMoto with over 30,000 miles on it.

Bike runs great after 30,000 miles but it left me stranded when a $1.00 spring failed. I guess they weren't thinking of me when they designed the spring.

Tony
Old 07-15-2017, 05:53 PM

Just thought I would update my last post. I ended up buying a 90degree torsion spring from TrueValue hardware. It was 75 cents[p# 88042]. The cost was irrelevant. I just did not want to replace the spring with the failed one originally used.
Anyway, this spring had 2-2"legs I bent one leg to the same config as the original in my vise. The other leg I began cutting shorter and shorter to what I thought would be the min length. It was just around 1" long by time I was done cutting. Further, The screw that was originally used was about 16mm long. I doubled the length of the screw because the screw hole was an open hole with nothing on the other side and screwed it in about 5 threads deep so that all the parts would fit without stress. I then fitted them in place and finished by seating the screw.

Took about 5 min to install after the spring was bent and cut. Works just fine. I bought 2 of the springs. the first one I installed in my spare motor as described above, the second will go in my SM as soon as I have a reason to open up the side case.

Tony