Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Tell us all the gorey details!

Old 07-21-2012, 10:16 PM

Default New 2011 250 Race, First Impressions!

Got my new non current 2011 250 Race this week, (thanks Scott and Clay) my first Gas Gas and it's a return to 2 strokes for me, last one I had was in 1998. I've run one tank of gas through the bike and did a little jetting half way through. Bike was very rich right off the bat, ran ok, but just ok, I changed out the needle, put in a NDEW at the 3rd clip, bike runs great when on the needle, idles nice as well, but it seems to fall on it's face farther up in the RPM range... I've got a JD kit coming and will mess with it some more..

Suspension... I've only just confirmed that the settings are what the factory said they were... as I've read on here that things are stiff and the bike needs to be ridden for the suspension to soften up a bit.. I'll wait until I've got 10 hours or so to start to play.. One thing that bugs me is that the forks on full extension seem to clunk a bit.. not to sure what that's all about but it is something I will need to look into..

Fit and Finish... I didn't know what to expect with the Gas Gas.. spent some time re-tightening fasteners all around the bike, used some red loctite here and there.. was as little surprised that I had to use a Dremmel to properly adjust the rear brake lever height, (thanks for the heads up Scott) not a big deal but still that could have been better thought out.. Overall I'm happy with the way the bike is put together..

Handling.... Al I can say is "AWESOME" the bike turns like no other I've ever ridden, yet it's stable at speed.. I can't wait to get the suspension right as it will be even lol "more better"

Plans... I've added the skid plate, vapour odometer etc, bush bashers, rear tail and brake light, will add a bigger gas tank... Oh I have a Rekluse Core EXP in a box, that will be installed this week

Nice Bike....

Ed....

Old 07-21-2012, 10:57 PM

Congrats on your new GG. Get that jetting sorted; good info on this site. I agree the GG handling is awesome. Enjoy.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

Congratulations on the purchase. Sounds like you should be quite happy with the jetting after a few changes to the main jet. The JD is something I'd like to try but hard to justify the coin when other OEM needles work as well as they do.

Get some pics up!
Old 07-22-2012, 08:31 PM

Congrats. The fork clunk could mean one side has an under filled cartridge. This was noted and diagnosed by tuner Evan Yarnell in a thread last fall. Nothing a service won't cure.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:35 PM

The more I ride this bike the more I like it... Did some jetting ended up with 40 pilot, 180 main and the blue jd needle at #3... Kinda what JD said to run..
Engine runs the best it has so far.. I think though that it's lost a bit on the bottom from the last needle but the midrange and top is way better...

I also installed a Rekluse PRO XP today... I think I'm going to really like this bike.....

Ed.....
Old 07-25-2012, 08:55 AM

What carb? What slide (#7 notched or not) JD Blue is the bomb in 250s with the older carbs. Try going up on your pilot a couple sizes, you may get the low end back. If its an older PWK AS I (screw top) and you have a notched slide, try the needle in position #4.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
What carb? What slide (#7 notched or not) JD Blue is the bomb in 250s with the older carbs. Try going up on your pilot a couple sizes, you may get the low end back. If its an older PWK AS I (screw top) and you have a notched slide, try the needle in position #4.
It's the new carb, 38mm # 7 slide, no notch..., I'm at 600 ft elevation.., went for a ride today, did 82km, have about 2 liters of fuel left.. Engine idles nice,the idle screw is just touching the slide, seems right for the Rekluse. Today was the first time I've opened the bike up..really screams on top, there is still a bit of a lag just before it comes on the main I think.. Might be me as my last bike was a 550 Berg and I'm still short shifting, never had to rev the mighty Berg.... Thanks for the jetting tips, I'm all ears..

Ed....
Old 07-25-2012, 02:09 PM

Try the needle in #4 and even a 182 main. I'm at a 182 now in mine mainly for safety in an enduro this weekend, and it is NOT rich with the JD Blue.

Does your map switch have an effect? It should come on the pipe a little later in rain mode.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:28 AM

Thanks for the advice... I've lowered the needle, raised the clip to #4, that is more better... stayed with the 40 pilot and 180 main for now, still seems to be a spooge monster though. On another note, I've just finished the break in adjustment for the Rekluse, please understand that I've been riding a long long time, never thought I would go to an Auto Clutch, I did try one of the early Rekluses or Revlocks and wasn't impressed, this new EXP Pro however "is like cheating", and for me it makes a really nice bike that much better..

Suspension setup is next, once I get a few more hours on her.....

Ed...
Old 07-26-2012, 12:52 PM

Forget about the spooge, its that stealth POS. When I got mine I dropped my '07 jetting in it and it was obviously lean and still spooged. Get a smaller silencer, I will ASAP. A little spooge from a quality oil is good, better than oil burning in the engine and fouling the PV.