Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 01-15-2019, 08:45 PM

Default 05 450fse won?t stay running.

I have a 2005 450 fse. The bike was running just fine and I decided to go and screw it up!! It has 3,000 miles and always had a hard time starting when cold so I decided to check the valves. They were barley off but I adjusted them anyways. I put it all back together and started it. It runs for a minute then gets hot and shuts off. I took it into a local bike shop and have paid them $300 and it?s still is doing the exact same thing. They have had the bike for 4 months and they can?t figure out what?s wrong. I?m hoping someone on here has an idea what I should check. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Dirtnasty; 01-20-2019 at 01:09 PM.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtnasty View Post
I have a 2005 450 fse. The bike was running just fine and I decided to go and screw it up!! It has 3,000 miles and always had a hard time starting when cold so I decided to check the valves. They were barley off but I adjusted them anyways. I put it all back together and started it. It runs for a minute then gets hot and shuts off. I took it into a local bike shop and have paid them $700, and it?s still is doing the exact same thing. They have had the bike for 4 months and they can?t figure out what?s wrong. I?m done paying them for nothing, so I?m hoping someone on here has an idea what I should check. Thanks in advance.
that sux mate >>I find it hard to believe you would have done anything in checking the values to have screwed up anything major ??

This model is fuel injected? if so I'd be looking down that path first I'd put my money on ECU or sensor fault ...

Personal try another ECU if you haven't already

the guys that had your bike sound like idiots 4 months WTF ??
Old 01-18-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtnasty View Post
I have a 2005 450 fse. The bike was running just fine and I decided to go and screw it up!! It has 3,000 miles and always had a hard time starting when cold so I decided to check the valves. They were barley off but I adjusted them anyways. I put it all back together and started it. It runs for a minute then gets hot and shuts off. I took it into a local bike shop and have paid them $700, and it?s still is doing the exact same thing. They have had the bike for 4 months and they can?t figure out what?s wrong. I?m done paying them for nothing, so I?m hoping someone on here has an idea what I should check. Thanks in advance.
It is hard to say something if bike is with local shop already, you've paid so much money and haw no result. What did the shop managed to do until the moment? I've once was testsriding Husky 510 that had the same problem. Thanx GOD the problem emerged during test riding. After the bike gets hot, it just stalls. Bike starts perfectly after few minutes of rest, but runs only until it gets hot. I think, it could be the ECU problem (good offer to find replacement, not so easy though), also, it may be somehow related to the bike's temperature: It could some kind of safety feature to keep the motor from damages, caused by overheating. So, after motor overheats, the ECU, having readings from temperature sensor, cuts the motor. Its is easy to test with proper wiring and software (make a search in the forum, you will find description and links) what temperature the bike reaches. Mine, while in idle, reaches ~ 80 degrees Celsius. If the temperature on your bike gets very hot, and motor stalls thereafter, maybe you have faulty cooling system (it is not clean, water pump does not work properly, etc.). Did you check, whether cooling fan works correctly (it comes on after the bike was in idle for some time)?
Old 02-03-2019, 09:27 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Possibly adjusted valves too tight. Also you can remove decompressor and take .005 off so that it doesnt hold the valve open as much when cranking which will make it start easier when cold.