Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 01-05-2015, 08:48 AM

Default 2003 FSE450 Kickstarter

Hi,
I was wondering what other longer, better shaped kickstarters work on the 2003 Gasgas 450 FSE. The one on it is better suited to an 80cc two stroke instead of a big bore with a weak starter.

The forum lists parts interchange page lists a 5NX Yamaha kickstarter, but does that apply to the 4 strokes?

Will a Pampera 450 kick starter work?

I will make this thing reasonable to start one way or the other, so I can ride it.
Thanks Rob

I added additional information and requests, to keep it all in one place. I have also posted this on the GasGas Forum at ThumperTalk.

I have a couple of problems with my bike. I bought it last winter and have had nothing but issues. When I start it and ride it around the farm, it is awesome, but sometimes (most of the time) won't restart once stopped. The guy I bought it from screwed me on the electrical issue and didn't say a word. I don't seem to have any issues with the fuel injection system or idling. It has less than 700 miles on it from new.

Anyway, it has the dreaded and well known starting issue.

However, I am not sure if it is a pure starting issue or something related to it's other (known) problem.

The battery drains completed dead (not to be recharged) after a couple of days without the trickle charger. I either have a parasitic draw somewhere or a bad regulator/rectifier. The previous owner, "I just keep it on the trickle charger to keep it fresh". Lying, no good, egg sucking dog that he is. I wonder now if it was charged on a high amperage car battery charger or jump started off something. I have seen that blow lower amperage motorcycle systems before.

Once it gets warm enough to get back in the garage, I will be removing the old rectifier/regulator and checking all the connections and I will test for charging and draw.

I put in a new Evo gel battery and started it up a couple of weeks ago. It does start with a fresh battery. I didn't ride it around or anything to see if it would start later on, and took the battery out and back in the house.

I have been afraid to ride it anywhere because it won't re-start with the e-start, and I have never been able to kick start it with the midget lever.

I would like to replace the kickstarter with a longer model and have heard that there is a Yamaha model that fits, but does it work for the 4 stroke models also?

I am also interested in information that relates to exhaust cam decompression release problems and swapable exhaust cams or aftermarket replacements. I have heard DRZ 400; manual chain tensioner; you have to buy both cams from Gas Gas; etc.

If it turns out that I have an electrical issue that is causing the hard starting and I fix that, I would still like to have a backup. I think the bike would be excellent on the trail if I had the confidence I could ride it (and start it), so I could do a lot of the off road and dual sport events in my area.

I have looked at the starter gears and everything seems fine in there. I did get a new starter, manual, skid plate and stator gaskets with the bike.

I live near Columbus Ohio and would appreciate any info or help or knowledgable locals to get this running right or out of my garage.

Thanks Rob
Hi,

Last edited by Sfdemo; 01-05-2015 at 11:52 AM. Reason: more info

Old 01-29-2015, 10:03 PM

Default 03 fse

I feel your pain, I was the lead mechanic charged with keeping 15 of those bastards running. We used them every day 365 days a year. The starting system is certainly its weak point. You need a good starter, a great battery and an understanding of its needs.
There is a friction/ idler gear that must be modified. This gear will slip upon backfire to save the case from damage. You must ensure the friction/idler gear is not slipping prematurely. If it slips then the engine will not turn fast enough and makes a wheezing sound. That's the compression release, too late to ease compression and causing a slow cranking speed/ no start condition.
Most Important ! If it doesn't start in the first 10 seconds of cranking STOP !
Key off wait 20sec. Try again. Still no start? Key off 20 sec. Now key on Wide Open Throttle and crank 10 sec.
Use this mix till you find the method for your machine. Never crank longer than 10 sec, I've rarely seen long cranking sessions do anything but flood engines.
It's a pain to remove the plug, but 90% of the time it fails to start its flooded.
Wish you were closer cause it's a knack to learning how to start these bikes. Out of 12 mechanics only 2 of us were able it (read) these bikes well.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:56 PM

Default '03 kick starter

I have the longer kick starter from the '05 EC450 fse.

I'm currently trying to figure the biggest Li battery I can fit in the air box.

I have the manual cam chain adjuster on here but the stock cams.

Cold starting is a problem but starts real quick when warm.

A spare (fuel pump) relay is a good thing to have on the bike.

'03 EC400fse
'95 KX 250
Old 04-28-2015, 07:23 AM

I got the electrical problem fixed (I think). I ended up replacing the rectifier with a used one from a GasGas 450 Wild (which is the same, thanks to the manual), and now it appears to be charging and restarted after sitting. I have the Evo lithium battery with lots of cranking power. I am ready for my first real road test and ride soon.

I have heard that some Yamaha kickstarters are interchangeable. Anyone know about that?

I do have the manual cam chain adjuster but haven't installed yet, trying to only do one thing at a time to make sure I don't create other problems.

Thanks for all the help, I needed it